Anyone familiar with this Rotex supercharger?

Erich

Established Member
Saw an add for the thing and they were quoting some insane 7:1 step up ratio. Never saw one on a mustang. Thought it was some euro thing.
Erich

01yellercobra

Established Member
5.0 did an article on the Rotrex last month or the month before. It spins at something like 90,000rpm. Supposedly it has the low end of a twin screw and the top end of a centri.

Erich

Established Member
Yeah thats what it seems. Kind of like a turbo. I wonder if there is huge drag from turning that thing.
I would like to see what one would do on a 4V.
Erich

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
There superchargers are amazing. They make the bottomend near a topmount style with the aggressive step up ratio. The way they make the top end is by designing a very efficient rotor assembly and low drag bearings. Essentially they make equivalent top end power by costing less power to drive, not flowing more air, so for an all out race app, maybe not as good as a big procharger, but in anything that drives on the street, these things are totally bad ass.

So actually they are extremely efficient. Most all supercars that use twin superchargers actually spin rotrex blowers since they cost so little power to spin, have a great torque curve also.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Doubt the mod motors have enough balls to spin 2 centris to any kind of useful RPM. Like most Centri blowers, the Rotrex's have a recommended power N/A in order to run the blower. You don't have to meet this, but your power curve will suffer (why you have to run alot of gear on a centri powered Modular)

Typically twin supercharged apps are 420+ CI Big blocks, however the Koenissg ( I know I spell that shit wrong) I believe uses these on a 5.0L motor

THAITED

Established Member
Doubt the mod motors have enough balls to spin 2 centris to any kind of useful RPM. Like most Centri blowers, the Rotrex's have a recommended power N/A in order to run the blower. You don't have to meet this, but your power curve will suffer (why you have to run alot of gear on a centri powered Modular)

Typically twin supercharged apps are 420+ CI Big blocks, however the Koenissg ( I know I spell that shit wrong) I believe uses these on a 5.0L motor

I went to their website and they have an Alfa Romeo v-6 engine spinning it so I don't see why not 4.6 v-8.

Last edited:

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
I went to their website and they have an Alfa Romeo v-6 engine spinning it so I don't see why not 4.6 v-8.

I was talking about in the Twin Supercharger configuration. These would be awesome for a single blower setup on the mod motor. They would allow people running other Centris to cut the gear way down, allowing you to stretch the legs more on the highway =-0

If you wanted to run small ones, I guess you could on the mod motor, but the engine bay isn't really setup for it, the crank snouts also aren't nearly as strong as BBC/BB Mopar, where twin centris are typically used in a race app.
Although like anything else it can be done, but is it practical to try to run 2 smaller blowers in twin configuration on the mod motor when they make singles big enough to give the mod motor all the air it needs and only drive 1 blower =0

To be honest, I would love to take a car like yours that is already setup making bad ass power with a centri and just swap the blowers and add one of their ICs and see what the curve looks like @ the same boost level. I'm not saying these are like "so much better" but I think they are a different type of centri and it would be a cool experiment. Theres a reason why all of the Euro tuners and supercar producers use these babies.

Wiseguy

Established Member
They have planetary drives. Think turbos without belts lol! They do not do reverse rotation for Modulars. So all custom design. The Koenigsegg Super car is a great example of what can happen on a Modular program. OEM reliable. Something is brewing!

THAITED

Established Member
I was talking about in the Twin Supercharger configuration. These would be awesome for a single blower setup on the mod motor. They would allow people running other Centris to cut the gear way down, allowing you to stretch the legs more on the highway =-0

If you wanted to run small ones, I guess you could on the mod motor, but the engine bay isn't really setup for it, the crank snouts also aren't nearly as strong as BBC/BB Mopar, where twin centris are typically used in a race app.
Although like anything else it can be done, but is it practical to try to run 2 smaller blowers in twin configuration on the mod motor when they make singles big enough to give the mod motor all the air it needs and only drive 1 blower =0

To be honest, I would love to take a car like yours that is already setup making bad ass power with a centri and just swap the blowers and add one of their ICs and see what the curve looks like @ the same boost level. I'm not saying these are like "so much better" but I think they are a different type of centri and it would be a cool experiment. Theres a reason why all of the Euro tuners and supercar producers use these babies.

Sorry my bad:beer:, I like to see if that will work for my car too. I e-mail them last night, they don't have the kit for 99-04 GT yet.

Erich

Established Member
Yeah, I would like to see a straight up swap with a regular centri blower and see what the rotex can do.
Erich

4stang6

Established Member
i actually talked to Rotrex themselfs because i was thinking about fabing up a kit for my 96 cobra and they told me that even though its belt driven it works kinda like a transmission, works and runs off of Fluid,thats why they come with oil coolers,and also they told me that they have had numerous problem with them completly blowing apart because even thought their made to be in high rpms they have been tore apart spinning them to their max,but their not like other centris,they say once they give theirs no replacing pieces,you have to get a whole new unit... kinda dumb i thought but i bet the race version would make ridiculous power.they said their race version give a built car up too 600rwhp by the blower itself !!!!

Erich

Established Member
Ack. Why are they selling something that blows up? Is that just at "high" rpm? The euro cars are pretty high reving. 7K is not unusual.
Erich

Users who are viewing this thread