Anyone experience issues with driving/parking in the rain?

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I drive my Shelby every day, with the rain starting to pick up around here, just curious if any of the earlier owners have experienced issues with rain running in through the hood vents. I noticed the first time I got caught in the rain air moving out through the vents kept water out but once I stopped/parked it ran in and over time the hood liner got wet as well as the drive belts. Once I got moving again I got a little belt squeek and water slung all over the engine bay.

Anyone else have experiences with water under the hood?

When I wash the car I always open the hood and place a towel over the area directly under the vents - anyone else do that?

Mikey org gt500

Established Member
I have had mine since march 07 no issues and the car is kept outside! Also yea I put a towel under the vents and than dry every spot under hood after every time I wash her

cbrmuscle

Established Member
Water splashes up into the engine bay every time you drive through a puddle as well. I wouldn't worry and just clean the engine bay every now and again to keep it looking new!

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Yea, I figured it was not harmful, afterall my 03 Cobra had similar vents but there were "flaps" on the underside that seemed to channel water away from the engine, dropping it between the engine and radiator.

Of course - if my memory serves me well; I removed the flaps to allow more air flow!

Thanks for the responses/advice.

TexasShelby

Established Member
Drive in the rain?
LMAO.gif

And use ICE liquid to clean up all the plastic and hoses.

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
I don't know if they fixed it or not but for a long time the 197 had a issue at the firewall with water.
In a heavy rain as the water runs down, there are little flappers that let the rain out. In a down pour the flappers would not let out the rain and it would build up till it came in a soaked the cabin filter.

As a car sat then the mildew would form on the filter and stink out the car.

Many dealers didn't even know there was a cabin filter.

I have never left my car outside if I could help it. A friend of mine did a few times and had that issue, as a matter of fact it happened to a few in our local club. The real problem was for the cars that were weekend rides, as they sat the mildew would form but if it was driven then the airflow would dry stuff out faster.

Just something to mention as I said I don't know if anything was ever done to fix this issue.

Last edited:

Superfly99

Stang Freak
Established Member
Drive in the rain?
LMAO.gif

And use ICE liquid to clean up all the plastic and hoses.

:lol: Mine has never seen rain!! Only driven in good weather, just picked a beater to drive to work today.:banana: I was bumming a ride from a coworker that lives 5 mins away. It's my weekend toy.:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread