Anyone ever try those Q-form kick panel speaker enclosures?

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
I'm still trying to fiqure out how I am going to do the auid in this car. Has anyone ever tried those Q-form kick panel speaker enclosures?

Do they get in the way of the clutch and such?

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
They claim better imaging, but I can't see why. All the sound will be muffled by your pants leg on the driver's side, while you get 100% on the passenger's.

You will lose your dead pedal.

You are right in thinking it will probably get in the way of the clutch.

Your stock arrangement is what everybody was shooting for (to try and get) about 9 years ago...now that it's stock type, then it must not be good...so let's change it?

The stock speaker placement is about as optimal as it can get with the equipment that's in the door, like the window actuator, the door handle and lock mechanisms, etc...not to mention that we still have a power rear view door mirror with a speaker on the inboard side.

Why do you want to change it? Just wondering...

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
Jon,

Q-Forms are perfect for imaging and soundstage (I used to compete in IASCA). The main drawback is the loss of the dead pedal but you can change your driving style to get used to it. If you want more info pm me, there is are a couple of shops in the Monterey area that can help you out, but only one that I would recommend (next to the Mercedes Benz dealership in Monterey)

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
The auto environment isn't close to ideal for imaging. I could never get the soundstage right in my LX but other people thought it sounded great. It depends what you are looking for. If you are going to compete then imaging is important. If you just want to have a great sounding stereo then spend your money on great speakers and put them in the stock locations. Q-forms do sound great if you keep your leg away from them. Personally, I need the leg and foot room. Of course if you get other people riding with you, it changes the sound characteristics anyway. Good luck!

BTW, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me if 6 1/2" mids will fit in the doors of an '03. I had to extend the bottom of the doors to fit them in my '92 LX.

ALA G8R

Banned
I fit 6.5 in Focal woofers in the doors of a 98 Cobra. I made some adapter plates from thin MDF. Worked great. I put the Focal tweeters in the sail panels where the Mach 460 tweeters were.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Thanks, ALA G8R, I'll keep that in mind. When I get around to it I have to get my old stereo stuff out of the boxes and install in my '03. I may call Crutchfield this week and see if they have plug in adapters to add my SAS sub and an amp. :beer:

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Sorry Jon,

I think my post to your question must have come off pretty irritating.

I asked the question: why would you want to relocate the speakers?

Actually, what I should have said was: there are so many electronic phasing solutions available nowadays (even in lower end head units) that I believe you could get acceptable imaging with the speakers in the stock location, and altering the phasing using the latest available DSP equipment.

This way, you could retain your factory stock speaker locations (and your dead pedal) and get the sound that you were attempting to get with the Q-forms.

There, I feel better. :)

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville
Sorry Jon,

I think my post to your question must have come off pretty irritating.

I asked the question: why would you want to relocate the speakers?

Actually, what I should have said was: there are so many electronic phasing solutions available nowadays (even in lower end head units) that I believe you could get acceptable imaging with the speakers in the stock location, and altering the phasing using the latest available DSP equipment.

This way, you could retain your factory stock speaker locations (and your dead pedal) and get the sound that you were attempting to get with the Q-forms.

There, I feel better. :)

Yes, I've noticed that digital time alignment is not so rare anymore. I was looking at a higher-end Alpine that features time alignment; it's still rather expensive.

Most importantly, I can't live without the legroom so the Q-forms are out.

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
How difficult was it to make the adaptors for the door?

Does your MDF adaptor mount directly to the door sheet metal? Or does it mount to the plastic thingy the OEM mounts to?

How did the Focals sound? Which model did you get?

Originally posted by ALA G8R
I fit 6.5 in Focal woofers in the doors of a 98 Cobra. I made some adapter plates from thin MDF. Worked great. I put the Focal tweeters in the sail panels where the Mach 460 tweeters were.

Users who are viewing this thread