Anyone ever stationed in Hawaii?

286rocks

Established Member
Hey all,

I just found out that I'll be PCS'ing to Honolulu HI early next year and from what I've been seeing the housing is very hit or miss all around the island.

It's just going to be me and the wife, but I'll be underway for 1/2 the year, so I'm looking to see if anyone has any suggestions on where might be a good place to settle in. Mainly I just want something where she can be safe while I'm away. We don't really need anything big and fancy.

Thanks-:beer:

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
It really depends on how much you want to spend. The best places on the island where there are some military is Ewa Beach and Mililani. I was stationed on the Marine base in Kaneohe and it was better for me to live on base. Hawaii is probably the only place I would recommend this (I hate being in base housing) but they had very nice houses and there wasn't anything in town that was cheaper.

mustanginsin

Loyal To None
Established Member
I'm in Hawaii now. It really depends on where you're actually based at and how much you're willing to spend on rent as well as how far you're willing to commute. The housing market here is where a lot of your monthly income will go (but BAH should cover it anyway). I live in Waikiki and I'm at Pearl mostly. I know Mililani is a good place. If you're on the east side of the island, then you'll want to look at Kailua. There are good deals in Ewa Beach and Kapolei as well.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
You can make good $ living off base and if you look around you can def find places below your BAH. I needed a 4 br so living off base wasn't an option for me- most 4br+ were 3000+ per month. But that was in mid 08 before the housing market took a crap so they may be cheaper now. Hope they built a track by now.... they killed it in early 06. Are you bringing your car? There was also a pretty active Mustang club when I left in 08. There are a few that are members here too. GL- I had a good time.

stangliter04

Established Member
I'm living here now but now as a contractor... Ewa and Mililani like others have said but if you have the option get into base housing. Shoot me a PM when you get out here and i'll show you guys around.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread