Anyone ever run the Silver State Classic or Nevada Open Road Challenge?

Poolman

Established Member
Anyone ever run either of these events? Bucket list thing that I will do this year. Wife says "are you asking me or telling me?" She is a good one, very tolerant, met when we were 14, in '75.

The Open Road Challenge is in May '16, then Silver State Classic in Sept.
Check it out: http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

Planning to run the 04 Cobra. Its orange and I am a Clemson grad and all that. Since this would be my first time in the event, rule is you have to run in the Touring class, max speed limit is 125, its a time trial event for everyone but the unlimited class. So its 90 miles at 120-125 mph. I have been doing HPDE events since 1999, lots of tracks, much higher speeds.

Event is in Ely, NV, elevation is some 6,400 ft. ? Get a tune for that elevation? Have a tuner with the car, so think that's possible. Personally never been up that high when not in a plane, can you breathe up there? Will bring grandma's oxygen rig. :)

Cobra has very low miles, so will trailer from SC to Vegas, run the May event, store the car and truck/trailer in Nevada, fly home for $250, fly back in September ($250) for that event and then trailer back home. Located a reasonable Vegas self storage center. It's 2400 miles from Myrtle Beach to Vegas. Someone shoot a hole in this plan, as I am no longer unbiased.

Thought about just driving the car out and back, but it only has 20,800 miles. Too much.

$5000 to ship the car out and back on a enclosed transport. A few days of towing the car out and back now doesn't seem so bad, and get to see some of the country, sample some truck stop food, and maybe see some big ball of twine or something.

I am sorry for the giddiness this morning, just got home from a test run on SC HWY 31 near my house, 15 miles at 125-140, in both directions, only passed three cars, so only relatively unsafe. Got some fuel consumption data and RPM/boost level info at speed, no temp issues, but it was only 59 degrees this morning. 140 mph was ~4000 RPM, 6th gear, about 12 psi I think, needed a navigator to check all that, it was very dark. Mostly concerned about fuel consumption, open track events in my 03 Cobra only average about 5 MPG. 5 MPG won't make it to the finish in Nevada.

Thanks for reading, any input or advise or comments? Any sponsors?
Have a good day everyone.

oldmodman

Established Member
You should not have any problems doing that speed, even totally stock.

I have run faster than that and never even saw boost. Didn't even need to go to full throttle to hit and hold 130mph. But that was at near sea level.

I have rune the Silver State as a navigator. It was in a friend's Aston Martin. He was in the touring class also. But since he was doing it for fun we had the computer programmed for a couple of top speed runs, then creep along at 60mph, then when you hit the timing at the finish it looks like you held an average 125 all the way. He finished 28 in his class. Some of the competitors are really serious and hold the needed speed so accurately that they were only off 1/20mph over 108 miles.
One thing to watch out for are the hidden speed measuring points to catch clowns just like us. But we got calls from like minded people ahead of us telling us where the radar speed measuring points were. So we made sure that they were the spots we were going exactly 125mph. If they see you going way over your max speed you get thrown out. And if they see you creeping along they will quickly figure out that you were speeding.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
First off, nice car. I think this will be a fun event for you. I'd love to run that event one of these days.

I actually don't think that distance at that speed will burn anywhere near 5-mpg. After accelerating to 125-ish you'll be maintaining that speed for the entire time with maybe a few curves that will slow you down to 80 or 90. So WOT acceleration shouldn't be a huge factor in your mileage. I think you'll get around 10 or so MPG.

Are you leaving the car there for another event a few months later or something? I'm a bit unclear as to why you're storing it.

Poolman

Established Member
What mods?

20,760 miles
2.3 Whipple
3.0 Upper/4# Lower
60# Injectors
Twin GT pumps
Modified FPDM
Billetflow SB throttle body
Spec 3+ Clutch
26 SPline input shaft
Bassani X-pipe
Borla Stinger Exhaust
LFP Head cooling mod
LFP Dual Pass H/E
MGW Orange Shifter
EGR Delete

Poolman

Established Member
First off, nice car. I think this will be a fun event for you. I'd love to run that event one of these days.

I actually don't think that distance at that speed will burn anywhere near 5-mpg. After accelerating to 125-ish you'll be maintaining that speed for the entire time with maybe a few curves that will slow you down to 80 or 90. So WOT acceleration shouldn't be a huge factor in your mileage. I think you'll get around 10 or so MPG.

Are you leaving the car there for another event a few months later or something? I'm a bit unclear as to why you're storing it.

Test run was 11 mpg, at sea level, so fuel shouldn't be an issue.

Plan to run the May event and the September event this year. Too damn far to ship it or trailer it twice, 2400 miles one way. Decided to trailer the car out to Nevada in May and store the truck, trailer and car out there until September. Can fly back and forth for half the diesel cost for the truck.

Thanks for the compliment on the car, can't take any credit for how it was done and how well it was taken care of by previous owner. Just happy and lucky to have found it.

Professional Pics on original thread: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1050824-2004-Competition-Orange-Cobra&highlight=

Users who are viewing this thread