Anyone ever raced a DSM?

PrinceSlik

Established Member
There are a lot of early awd dsm's in my area. Most run low 13's or high 12s. But there are a few that say they run 11's...

Has anyone here ever raced an awd dsm that was modded, like with a bigger turbo, front mount intercooler, etc?

Just wondering what these little 4bangers can actually do, im tired of them saying they waste v8's and rippin on my friends 69 camaro and my car

mambaman

Established Member
go over to dsmtuners.com and check out the 1/4 times. some of them are quite fast, those cars have a fair amount of potential

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
DSM = Eclipse/Talon/Lasers

I just have a VERY general knowledge of them. Modded they will definitely run with many (not all) stock V8's and they have an aftermarket that is unbelievable. Stock can pull anywhere from mid to high 14's, depending on model year. Quite a few are in the 12's. 13-second ones are all over the place in places like FL, CA, and TX.

Hopefully TurboEclipseGSX will see this and post (he'll know a ton about 'em).

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Yeah there was a pretty fast eclipse in commerce a few weekends ago....you could hear the prodominant turbo whine

Badasp5.0

Established Member
I ran one here in Albuquerque when I 1st got my cobra a few years ago...he ran 13.66 to my 15.449.....I dont remember what he had done but I do remember it was a GSX (AWD).
DSM's are very impressive cars, its a shame that Mitsu made the next gen Eclipse's ugly and slow, they should have kept the 4g63 in them!

Steeltwo

Established Member
in 05 they are supposidly going to offer a 4g63 awd eclipse. But it will share alot of parts with the evo.

Will it ever make it??
we'll have to wait and see. I think a smaller turbo will be used in it if it even happens at all.

as for knowledge
i have a 91 awd dsm

basics plus a vpc and a 16g. Soon to have a fmic and all the fun little tuning toys. I expect a 12.6-8ish on pump gas when i'm done with the 16g(of course i'll get a larger turbo ) :)

the motor is called the 4g63T. The model I have, has put down some rather nice numbers. One guy just dumped 490+ to the ground on a 100% stock engine(maybe minus the headgasket not sure)
That is NOT the norm. The engine will handle 400(whp) and not skip a beat. 450 you're getting close and should upgrade at LEAST the pistons. John Shepard is running 9's on the stock bottom end. But it depends on the year, some have smaller rods.

Most 91-94 dsm's on the stock turbo will run a high 12 to low 13 if tuned and driven properly.(stripped mid to low 12's, two guys have run 11's)

95-99 dsm's on the stock turbo when modded and driven properly will hit a mid 13(reason being smaller stock turbo)
both those numbers are on race gas.

For a reference in from a stop. A high 11 sec dsm should run 0-60 in a shade under 4 seconds. And thats on street tires.

ps. someone give me a ride in your 03 :)

Last edited:

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by Steeltwo
in 05 they are supposidly going to offer a 4g63 awd eclipse. But it will share alot of parts with the evo.

Will it ever make it??
we'll have to wait and see. I think a smaller turbo will be used in it if it even happens at all.

as for knowledge
i have a 91 awd dsm

basics plus a vpc and a 16g. Soon to have a fmic and all the fun little tuning toys. I expect a 12.6-8ish on pump gas when i'm done with the 16g(of course i'll get a larger turbo ) :)

the motor is called the 4g63T. The model I have, has put down some rather nice numbers. One guy just dumped 490+ to the ground on a 100% stock engine(maybe minus the headgasket not sure)
That is NOT the norm. The engine will handle 400(whp) and not skip a beat. 450 you're getting close and should upgrade at LEAST the pistons. John Shepard is running 9's on the stock bottom end. But it depends on the year, some have smaller rods.

Most 91-94 dsm's on the stock turbo will run a high 12 to low 13 if tuned and driven properly.(stripped mid to low 12's, two guys have run 11's)

95-99 dsm's on the stock turbo when modded and driven properly will hit a mid 13(reason being smaller stock turbo)
both those numbers are on race gas.

For a reference in from a stop. A high 11 sec dsm should run 0-60 in a shade under 4 seconds. And thats on street tires.

ps. someone give me a ride in your 03 :)
:dw:

FLYNLO

Established Member
Have absolutely no idea what was done to this DSM, but it is a 9 second car. Here is a link to a video of a very cotroversial street race. Regardless of the storyline, those are some seriously fast cars.

http://www.peesack.com/EOSvids/EOS_Tchargers.mpg

Probably gonna need to right click and "save target as". It is almost 60MB so dial up beware. It is damn near a documentary. Anyway....fast cars regardless.

Last edited:

Steeltwo

Established Member
Originally posted by FLYNLO
Have absolutely no idea what was done to this DSM, but it is a 9 second car. Here is a link to a video of a very cotroversial street race. Regardless of the storyline, those are some seriously fast cars.

http://www.peesack.com/EOSvids/EOS_Tchargers.mpg

Probably gonna need to right click and "save target as".

that car is crazy. Ran a 9.6 I do believe. Not sure on which turbo, but runs an 80 shot on top of all the work.(which he didn't use in the race)

one thing I forgot to mention in my first post. Was that if the cars are not tuned properly. You can take a car that could run 11's, run 14's.

TurboEclipseGSX

Non Ricer
Established Member
Originally posted by zzzzzer
DSM = Eclipse/Talon/Lasers

I just have a VERY general knowledge of them. Modded they will definitely run with many (not all) stock V8's and they have an aftermarket that is unbelievable. Stock can pull anywhere from mid to high 14's, depending on model year. Quite a few are in the 12's. 13-second ones are all over the place in places like FL, CA, and TX.

Hopefully TurboEclipseGSX will see this and post (he'll know a ton about 'em).

Someone call me :) Steeltwo basically covered it, these little 4 bangers (equipped with the 4g63 turbo motor) can be really nasty when built properly, but the problem with dsm's is people think if you upgrade the turbo, get exhaust, and intake its going to be fast :loser: what most people don’t understand about dsm's is it takes tuning, there’s tons of dsm's hitting 12's on stock turbos because they know how to tune the car (vpc, s-afc, etc.) do be careful when you notice a FMIC on one, most of the time the ones with Front Mounts usually are putting down over 300 hp (which is a lot for a dsm, considering weight to hp ratio) the AWD helps a lot also, pulling 1.8's outta the 60" helps your time quite a bit :D

new2BIGPAR

Established Member
I have a few buddies around town that have modded DSM's. They can be very nasty cars. There is a guy here with the cleanest Mitsubishi Mirage/Dodge Colt with a 4G63 in it putting down 364 HP to the front wheels. Another guy had a Colt putting over 400 to the wheels and decided he wanted traction so he took the motor out and put it in a AWD Talon and ran a 7.2 on his first pass in the 1/8. I have yet to run one, but there are a few (the two mentioned above) around here that would make my car look really silly.

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
my friend that i always go out with racing is in a DSM club in tampa and they have a bunch of people in the 12's some 11's and a few 10's...they have a 4-door Mirage thats completly done up looking stoCk in the 10's..his eclipse is really quik his best was a 12.6 by far full int.hes prob in the 320-350 fwhp range..it looks like a chemistry set inside!!with the gauges, s-afc, boost cont., tv and stuff.. i call him the mad scientist..i wouldnt mind haveing an eclipse, i actually almost bought a 2nd gen GSX but a guy arrived 2 hours before me and put a deposit on it... its ok thought i ended up buying a cObra :D :mj:
i dunno the fastest dsm on a stock turbo ive ever seen was a 13.7 was a 2nd gen gSx, well the 1st gen's did have a stronger turbo is that what u ment ? turboecilpsegSx

they're quik modded, but ive taken a few:burnout:

Steeltwo

Established Member
Originally posted by 97greensnake
my friend that i always go out with racing is in a DSM club in tampa and they have a bunch of people in the 12's some 11's and a few 10's...they have a 4-door Mirage thats completly done up looking stoCk in the 10's..his eclipse is really quik his best was a 12.6 by far full int.hes prob in the 320-350 fwhp range..it looks like a chemistry set inside!!with the gauges, s-afc, boost cont., tv and stuff.. i call him the mad scientist..i wouldnt mind haveing an eclipse, i actually almost bought a 2nd gen GSX but a guy arrived 2 hours before me and put a deposit on it... its ok thought i ended up buying a cObra :D :mj:
i dunno the fastest dsm on a stock turbo ive ever seen was a 13.7 was a 2nd gen gSx, well the 1st gen's did have a stronger turbo is that what u ment ? turboecilpsegSx

the 2nd gen turbo is the t-25. It is known for spooling VERY fast. But anything above 5500rpm's it can't keep up. Can make 260ish at the crank I think.

1st gen turbo is a 14b, close to size as the WRX. A tad larger i beleive. It pulls to about 6500rpm's. And can make around 300 at the crank.

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
Originally posted by TurboEclipseGSX
lol so true, most dsm's dont even have after market wheels :p i know mine didnt, I spent the extra cash on my gadgets :D
lol...I'm w/ ya' on that one. :thumbsup:

SS00Blue

Established Member
I've had two Eagles and now my winter beater is a 92 Plymouth Laser.

I built up the second Talon I bought with a T-50/T04E DSM-Performance "Mutt", a HUGE DSM-Perf FMIC, 720cc injectors, PMS, ported 1G head and a full 3" Stainless exhaust. All in all, a $6000 investment which ran 11.50s at 118... Until cylinder number 3 split. It was an amazingly fast car for about a year.

The Laser has a few ported peices and a 2.5" exhaust and cracks 12s on a stock ported 14b. I cut my turbo teeth on these cars. They can be quite lethal because they can do 1.5-1.6 60's on any street and any intersection.

They're very fun.

SC-

Last edited:

TurboEclipseGSX

Non Ricer
Established Member
Originally posted by 97greensnake

i was referring to the 1g's with the 14b turbo, the T-25 is not a strong enough turbo to pull 12's but the 14b is, and has, a few even hit 11's :eek: but i'd rather have me an FP green :D

Users who are viewing this thread