Anyone ever have a sports hernia?

highstick44

Established Member
Went to the doctors today and he thinks the groin pain i've been having is a sports hernia. I have to go back this week to work out some details be it operation, rehab and what not. Anyone ever have one of these little bastards?

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
Yup, it sucks and I never rested it enough while I was playing in major competition or got surgery to fix it. As a goalie in ice hockey, it really sucked to have. I have also torn my hip flexor and adducters. And I walk around with a bum knee every day and a bad back, but I think it was all worth it.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Hockey with its bend forward position (esp goalies) is one of the main sports where "sports/inguinal hernias" occur. As opposed to a true inguinal hernia where there is muscle weakness, the sports hernia is caused by an abnormally thin area of muscle but not weakness. There typically is no palpable mass as in a true inguinal hernia.

If after a course of rest, ice, and conservative anti-inflammatory treatment you arent better, surgery becomes your next/only option. The surgery is relatively minor (although surgery is always risky) and recover is quick and usually full. There are few if any complications.

Good Luck.

MonkeysL

Established Member
i had one last year. i way playing basketball jumped to block and shot and this sharp pain shot down my leg from my crotch, sent me to the ground. by the time i got home it looked like i had an orange slice under my skin right in the crease of my leg. dr. pushed it back in, i rested for a while and never had to get surgery. it was very painful though, and i almost wet myself when he pushed it

TrueBlueVenom

Established Member
I was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia last year. I had laparoscopic surgery in Oct 06 to repair it. I was still hurting weeks afterwards, still had a "lump", and found out it was a double hernia - the surgery repaired 1 but not the other. I had another laparoscopic surgery in Jan 07 and it took care of the second hernia. both surgeries: they put in mesh behind the abdominal wall to keep any more from popping through; They go thru small incisions for the surgery (2-3 incisions about 1 inch wide).

first surgery: honestly was horrible. Since the second hernia was unknown at that time, I did go thru a few months of pain and not being able to do much. It hurt going to the restroom and hurt like hell when I sneezed. This surgery experience rarely happens.

second surgery: since all hernias were taken care of, I was out and about within days. This is a more common experience.

Check out webmd.com and do a search for "inguinal hernia". There's some good, basic info there. Do the surgery; A little discomfoft now goes a long ways later when you are healed. Untreated, they do not heal themselves. Me personally, if I had to do it again, I would.

Users who are viewing this thread