Anyone ever had Shingles?

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
No not like on your roof either.. the virus.

Shingles (Herpes Zoster) Treatment, Causes, Symptoms, Vaccine

I've had it this past week and still do. I heard about it before and never put any thought into it but it is a little more painful than I expected.

I was just curious to hear some of your stories.

I am on a steroid-Medrol and an antibiotic-Valtrex as well as some Ibuprofen-600mg.. < not near strong enough.

I have it on my face/forehead/into my hair/scalp and in my right eye, all this is only on the right side of my face.

This is some nasty stuff.

:cuss:

:mj:

:kaboom:

I need to get into an eye doctor as well as try to get a stronger pain killer.

Great time for my health insurance to run out last month.

I could not imagine having a severe disease, virus, or health issue where it wouldn't go away or where people look at you all the time.

I haven't left the house because I look like Sloth.

Sloth.jpg

mysterio

Established Member
Had them a few years ago, on my left ear and scalp area. Worst pain I ever had. Dr told me it's the same virus strain as chicken pox, which is also similar to herpes. It can sit in your body for years, dormant, and then suddenly flare up.

I had chicken pox as a kid, and think I got exposed to a kid that had it the week before I came down with shingles. Might have triggered it, who knows. I don't wish shingles on anybody, it's that unpleasant.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
yeah man had it on my right shoulder/back area for 6 weeks,took off work for 5 weels hurt pretty bad.

I was curious how the pain would be on a different area, I'm sure it hurts also.
I'm hoping to be back in action in a week but we will see. All I've been doing is taking my medicines and resting, nothing more at all.

Had them a few years ago, on my left ear and scalp area. Worst pain I ever had. Dr told me it's the same virus strain as chicken pox, which is also similar to herpes. It can sit in your body for years, dormant, and then suddenly flare up.

I had chicken pox as a kid, and think I got exposed to a kid that had it the week before I came down with shingles. Might have triggered it, who knows. I don't wish shingles on anybody, it's that unpleasant.

Yes I couldn't believe how bad it hurts, its like I can feel my nerves being attacked and these blisters going crazy on my skin. Its disgusting.

I had chickenpox as a kid also, not sure what triggered mine, doctor said it could have been stress but not really sure.. possibly a weak immune system at the time.

I agree, I would not wish this upon anyone else either.
Any tips you can share for a quicker healing process?

Did you guys have scars? Since its on my face when the blisters/rash calms down I may try neosporin to get rid of and marks scars blemishes etc

mysterio

Established Member
Lots of rest, and take all the meds helped me. Work was not an option.

Luckily, no scars.

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
Had them last year while staying out of town for work. Doctor said it was due to stress. I had never even heard of it. She told me it was the chickenpox virus laying dormant but I told her I'd never gotten chickenpox as a kid. She said I probably had but just didn't break out. :shrug:

I had a small spot on my back, it is quite painful. She wrote the prescription and when I picked it up I saw it was Valtrex, I was like wtf?? But I took it for 2 weeks and it cleared up pretty quick. On a side note, Valtrex is crazy $$$, can't imagine having to take it daily. :uh oh:

Edit: No scars for me. Like said above, take your meds and rest. I had a sick feeling for a couple of days also, body aches, etc.

Last edited:

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
Yeah I paid $185 for some generic Valtrex.. I just want it to go away though so I didn't even argue.

That is all I've been doing is resting, taking medicines and not even thinking about working.
I don't mind working at all but I guess I'll be sitting out at least the beginning part of this coming week.

I sure hope I don't get scars, or at the worst.. any vision damage.
I hope I don't have to get a refill of the Valtrex at $185 but if I do so be it.

Thanks for the tips fellas. As I was leaving Walgreens picking up my prescriptions the other day, I see a sign saying "Shingles vaccines available"- How ironic? HA

swordjr24

WNALOSE
Established Member
I had them on the back of my head a few months ago. Sucked cause it was cold as hell & I couldn't wear anything to cover my head at work. I got some medicine & it went away in less than a week. I hear it can be serious if not treated

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Okay heres the lowdown, I had em last year when I was 23...
Its a variant of the chicken pox virus, and you will only get shingles if you have actually had chicken pox. Basically the entire virus doesn't die an goes dormant. Later in life something can trigger it causing shingles. I didn't take anything for it, my doctor said just let it run it's course, for me it was 6 weeks or so. If you got the shot, or never ha chicken pox (varicella), it isn't shingles. I was lucky as mine wasn't too painful, just really red.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
My uncle had it a few years back. It almost got him. He ended up taking high dose Vitamin B-12 shots every day for either 2 weeks or 3 weeks until the cleared up. Other meds never phased it. Most cases I have known of takes weeks or months to get rid of. I saw a man at one of our locations that I was working at. They asked him where he had been. He said I had the shingles and I am getting over them. He lifted up his shirt, now mind you stuff usually doesn't make me sick, but his chest had huge holes from just below his neck almost to his waist. I'm talking what looked to be 1/8th to a 1/4 inch deep. I about chucked. He said that it looked great to what it did.

bleedout

Established Member
Yeah dude. I was 27 and got it on side of my back. I thought it was a nasty spider bite but it hurt bad. Shooting pain throughout my back, so i went to doc and he said shingles. I was blown away cuz i figured thats something you get when ur older. Thankfully insurance scooped most of the tab and i took the valtrex, stayed home and got very familiar with my netflix. Only took like 2 weeks and it was cleared up but man. The pain was very sharp and odd. Good luck dude, i hope that shit never comes back.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
I had them on the back of my head a few months ago. Sucked cause it was cold as hell & I couldn't wear anything to cover my head at work. I got some medicine & it went away in less than a week. I hear it can be serious if not treated

That really sucks. I've been laying low, resting, taking meds and hoping for the best lol.

Okay heres the lowdown, I had em last year when I was 23...
Its a variant of the chicken pox virus, and you will only get shingles if you have actually had chicken pox. Basically the entire virus doesn't die an goes dormant. Later in life something can trigger it causing shingles. I didn't take anything for it, my doctor said just let it run it's course, for me it was 6 weeks or so. If you got the shot, or never ha chicken pox (varicella), it isn't shingles. I was lucky as mine wasn't too painful, just really red.

I've read about it quite a bit lately. This seems to be right on par. 6 weeks seems like it would be a long time to be dealing with this, hopefully within a week or so I can get rid of some of the rash for sure.

No, but I hope you recovery quickly.

Thanks brother, I really appreciate it.

My uncle had it a few years back. It almost got him. He ended up taking high dose Vitamin B-12 shots every day for either 2 weeks or 3 weeks until the cleared up. Other meds never phased it. Most cases I have known of takes weeks or months to get rid of. I saw a man at one of our locations that I was working at. They asked him where he had been. He said I had the shingles and I am getting over them. He lifted up his shirt, now mind you stuff usually doesn't make me sick, but his chest had huge holes from just below his neck almost to his waist. I'm talking what looked to be 1/8th to a 1/4 inch deep. I about chucked. He said that it looked great to what it did.

Damn man.. sounds serious. Glad your uncle made it.

I'm sure if someone were to take this lightly it would really mess them up. I never looked too far into it because I'd never known anyone personally who had them. Well now I know.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
*removed by moderator - slow your roll. This is Roadside, so either post constructively or NOT at all*

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
*removed by moderator - slow your roll. This is Roadside, so either post constructively or NOT at all*

Thanks for your input buddy.

I was waiting for the first one to spark the goodness.

Did I forget to mention it burns when I pee? Just kidding.

Here: Herpes zoster is not the same disease as herpes simplex despite the name similarity (both the varicella zoster virus and herpes simplex virus belong to the same viral subfamily Alphaherpesvirinae).

From: [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_zoster]Herpes zoster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Now whether you believe it or not is up to you.

I'm talking about a virus rash on my head.. not some itching on my crotch :poke:

I appreciate the entertainment though, you did make me giggle like a 3 year old girl

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Herpes is a generic term, most kinds or rash or skin infections are technically "herpes"...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ssssnake

Established Member
I hear about more younger people getting it. It used to be mainly older people that got it. My dad had it on the back of his thighs, making sitting down extremely painful. I'm seriously thinking about taking the vaccine since I had chickenpox as a child.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
My ex got them from stress. Couple spots on her side and back. Couldnt touch them with anything or she would start to cry in pain. Could always tell they were coming on, she would start to freak out because she always though they would go to her face but luckily for her they kept to the same area.

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
I had them when I was 6 or 7 on the back of my right arm...to this day that area is super tender, and when ever I get sick that spot hurts for a week before and after.

oldmodman

Established Member
I hear about more younger people getting it. It used to be mainly older people that got it. My dad had it on the back of his thighs, making sitting down extremely painful. I'm seriously thinking about taking the vaccine since I had chickenpox as a child.

Get the vaccine. Yes it's expensive and some insurance won't pay for it, mine wouldn't. So I paid for it myself. My doc gave it to me at his cost. $320.00:eek:
Well worth it if it keeps me from getting this crap.

So I mentally went down the list.

Have you had chicken pox. Yes.
Are you frequently under a lot of stress. Yes.
Get the vaccine.

Users who are viewing this thread