Anyone ever go to bartending school?

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
So over the course of the past year, I've been pondering picking up a part-time bartending job on the weekend. This is based on the assumption I could pick-up an extra $600-1000 in cash per month to help expedite some of the many home improvement/refurnishing projects I have going on right now.

The problem is I have no bartending experience and I'm a male. A friend of a friend advised bartending school since they sometimes have job placement and I would also know how to do the job well instead of starting completely green somewhere.

What of it? :beer:

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
for the low cost of it and short time it takes to obtain a mixology certification i would say go for it.

i was thinking about doing it at one point but due to the fact i worked for a brewery i was not allowed to do so.

but i asked a few bar owners and managers if they would consider someone with a mixology cert over a busty brunet lush and most of them said they would consider bolth the same.

but the busty lush would win the job hands down if i were not to have any experience at all.

im still considering it but i cant stand the bar/club scene.

Last edited:

canibus

Established Member
it's a great way to start, but experience is what gets you the job. You'll probably still be placed as a barback for a bit, or as the bartender during the week. The money is great, but location also has a lot to do with it.

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
it's a great way to start, but experience is what gets you the job. You'll probably still be placed as a barback for a bit, or as the bartender during the week. The money is great, but location also has a lot to do with it.

Yeah, I'm only willing to do it part time on the weekends, so that may be a killer for me. I wouldn't mind starting in a dive though, just to get a feel.

Seems like it could be fun.

Dusten

Established Member
Yeah, I'm only willing to do it part time on the weekends, so that may be a killer for me. I wouldn't mind starting in a dive though, just to get a feel.

Seems like it could be fun.

my roommate here in so cal did. he works a fairly busy bar, and has been stuck as a bar back for about 6 months(but, he isnt the most dedicated kid, nor is he on time) so, screw it, his experience in this situation is out the window

jf4boogie

Established Member
I went to bartending school about....eh, 3 years ago or so.

IIRC it was around $300 + book ($30?)

Money I've earned to date bartending = $0

I live in a college town and I have tried to get a job at quite a few of the bars around the area. Around here if you don't 1)"Know" someone or 2)have tits then it's extremely hard to get your foot in the door.

The school itself was fun and interesting. If nothing else I can come in handy at a house party to mix up some drinks for tha ladies.

Shiper

Really Cool Guy
Established Member
Yeah dude, the school is worthless. Its expensive and they won't get you a job. You gotta know somebody or barback for awhile.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I found Euphoric's new avatar,

cocktail.jpg

Last edited:

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
I wouldn't waste your time with bartending school. Just find a bartender that needs a barback and do that for a while. The guys I know that have went to bartending school didn't really learn much besides some cool flare techniques. If you frequent a bar in your area, talk to the owner or manager. Bouncing at a bar on the weekends is also a good way to get in the door.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
You had better know someone who hires bartenders for two reasons: one, if you want to get in at a chain deal like Chili's or Applebee's or Outback, every one of those places has a long list of servers waiting in line for those positions. Bartending has tremendous potential for stealing/trouble and they will make you prove your mettle and your honesty as a trusted employee first. Second, any club or high end place won't even hire you in as a barback without some pertinent service industry experience. Then, even as a barback you will spend months, if not forever, running ice, trash and liquor bottles to bartenders all night. Granted, someone will come on here with a different story, however, on average that is how it goes. Having served as a bar manager in more than one full service casual chain, if I did bring someone in from the outside, they would have to have been VERY experienced, with great references and known in town as such. Even then, I would be surrounded by many, many pissed offf people for having sone so.

fordfanatic66

Established Member
I went to bartending school about....eh, 3 years ago or so.

IIRC it was around $300 + book ($30?)

Money I've earned to date bartending = $0

I live in a college town and I have tried to get a job at quite a few of the bars around the area. Around here if you don't 1)"Know" someone or 2)have tits then it's extremely hard to get your foot in the door.

The school itself was fun and interesting. If nothing else I can come in handy at a house party to mix up some drinks for tha ladies.

Sounds alot like my experience...I went through bartending school exactly 4 years ago.....cost $400 total....money earned to date...$0

IMO..total waste of time unless you are a female then jobs are offered left and right...otherwise good luck getting hired...

codyPKA

Dr. Rockso
Established Member
bartending school is completely unnecessary. it will in no way help you get a job, you just gotta put out lots of apps and hope to get lucky

Users who are viewing this thread