Anyone ever donate plasma?

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
Simple question, does anyone do this for some extra cash? I'm donating while I post.

-Eric

ItsReal93

Established Member
Eric-as some who gets blood and plasma transfusions often, just have to say thanks because it really does make a difference.

Baller. :D

Does it hurt? How long does it take? I've always thought about it but I've never followed through. After my surgery I want to pocket as much extra scratch as possible. :banana:

First visit is usually 2-4 hours because they screen you and all that stuff. Visits after that are usually an hour and a half. It's just like giving blood, some people find that painful but all in all it's not bad. It's well worth the money & you're helping someone who will need it :)

S7OCK_03

WHIPPLED
Established Member
Had a roommate do it as often as he was allowed. Then used that money to buy alcohol.

He would always refer people and get bonus cash, but I never could bring myself to do it.
I think he also said something about being in a certain weight class and that the bigger you are the more money you can get?

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I've though about it. Besides the obvious benefits of people that need it, does it pay well?

TJSwoboda

Established Member
I did once, just volunteering, at a blood drive in high school my junior year (19 years ago). Pricking your finger to test your iron hurts far worse than sticking a needle in your arm. There were 300 lb jocks passing out from the blood loss. I weighed 112 pounds including clothes and shoes, and felt 100% normal afterward. :shrug:

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
I did this a few times a few years ago. No big deal. Just took a while. I didn't do it for money though.
I had no problems. They had movies that you could watch while doing it.

delvin.a

Established Member
I used to do it somewhat frequently in college. It paid like $60 a session, we'd always go right after school that way you could get drunk on 3 drinks. It was a win win! I got paid and saved a mess of money on alcohol that night. oh college, how'd I ever get out alive and disease free

It doesn't hurt really it is kinda creepy watching them stick that huge hollow needle in your arm. Also make sure to eat before you donate, my roommate failed to one day and about passed out 5 minutes in. The place we went to did give a bonus for referring people but I don't think they had any weight classes.

It's good to know that it really does help people, makes me feel slightly less selfish about the whole process.

funair02

Established Member
What is strange is the feeling of your own cold blood being returned back into your system after they take the plasma out:uh oh:

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
$50 a week around here but you have to wait forever in a room full of crackheads and the russian nurses seem to just close their eyes and stab you wherever. **** that.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
The docs look at my blood through a microscope and see my platelettes giving them the finger. I have spent too much time in the war zone, they won't take my blood.

on a similar note: if any of you know people in Memphis I would appreciate your help in passing this on. Lifeblood in Need of Blood | MyFoxMemphis | Fox 13 News Austin is a relative of a furture niece-in-law. He has a tumor removed along with most of his liver.

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
Yeah my first experience wasn't bad at all. It pays ok, up to $240 a month here, not terrible for the time you put in. I definitely recommend eating and hydrating prior to donation, it speeds things up a bit. The facility I go to has wifi, so you can bring your laptop and do the netflix thing or whatever. There is a referral bonus, I think it's $20 for every new person you refer, not much but better than nothing. I figure this is a good way to make a car payment and part of my insurance every month. You can go twice a week, so figure 8 times a month. For me it was painless as I've donated blood before and done some other medical studies for $$$. It was definitely weird feeling the blood going back into you. What's nice is they replace the donated plasma with a saline solution when they pump back into you, so you don't really get that dehydrated.

-Eric

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
I have to look into this, I like money. Those companies that take your plasma must make good bread.

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
Its not really donating if youre getting paid for it. More like selling your blood/plasma.

Trollface-150x150.jpg

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I did it when I was in high school. I had no idea what it was though... I forgot to do a homework assignment and this saved my ass, because it took longer than normal, and I was doing it while they had me hooked up. they said it would take longer than just giving blood, so I was all for it. lol

bodge323

Established Member
I did it in high school. I was always one of the few willing to donate that could do the double red/plasma donation. It never made me tired or hungry, but I would act tired and eat like 3 lunches that day and not return to class :banana: Win Win for me.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Back in the late 70's my cousin and I used to donate plasma twice a week. Tuesdays & Thursday's I believe it was... they would pay us $8 and $10 per donation. We did this for almost a whole summer. Glad to see they're paying better these days.

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread