Anyone ever cut off a parking boot?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I have a "friend" (who will remain nameless, and no it's not me) and he has a work truck that he parked near a job site in the city of Chicago. There was a parking sign that said "No Parking between 6 pm and 6 am".

He goes to his truck at 6:01 pm and it's already booted with a parking ticket attached. Right then he gets a call and needs to go to another job site due to some kind of emergency. So he calls the number on the ticket and they tell him they won't be able to take the boot off until the next day and only after he pays the ticket.

Frustrated and pissed, he gets his Oxy-Acetylene torch out of the truck and proceeds to cut the boot off in about 2 minutes. He throws the debris in the back of the truck and takes off.

So now the question is, does he pay the ticket, or what? I'd imagine if he paid the ticket, they're gonna wonder where their boot is.

Have any of you ever cut off one of those parking boots. If so, what happened?

Apparently the city is getting really desperate for money since they don't have enough to properly line the pockets of our corrupt officials. I heard they're stepping up the whole "booting" of parked cars around Chicago to fill the void.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
He (you) will have to pay both the ticket and he will be charged for the price of the boot (I think around $250 or so)

cj3113

King of Controversy
Established Member
He doesn't even have to pay the ticket. Just don't get another one, or there won't be a put but a tow truck.

Disclaimer: I am not saying he should not pay the ticket. Had a friend in Chicago who was able to get the boot off by simply deflating his tire and never ended up paying the ticket.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Since he already called the company they most likely have a recorded conversation of your friend asking about the boot that is on his car providing fairly conclusive evidence that it was most likely him that caused destruction to public property.

It is in his best interest to call and work out a deal to pay for replacement of the boot and said fine in order to avoid the law from really laying it down.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Wow, this thread is full of fail. The boot is property of the city. He destroyed it. He can face charges for that. The ticket is registered and if not paid and a boot release issued he will continue to accumulate charges.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I would say pay the ticket, let them know you destroyed their boot and ask what you need to do to take care of it.

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
I would call and pay the ticket. When they come to remove it they will think someone else in the area already stopped and did it. I doubt they are accounted for but I would get rid of the evidence...lol

cj3113

King of Controversy
Established Member
That was actually pretty awesome. Too bad it wouldn't work in the OP's situation.

Not trying to bullshit out of a ticket, but if the OP is being completely honest and the guy arrived at his car at 6:01 then I would say it is quite obvious that it was booted before 6 o'clock when it became illegally parked.

I doubt that some body stopped, booted his car, wrote a ticket and then drove off in 60 seconds.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Not trying to bullshit out of a ticket, but if the OP is being completely honest and the guy arrived at his car at 6:01 then I would say it is quite obvious that it was booted before 6 o'clock when it became illegally parked.

I doubt that some body stopped, booted his car, wrote a ticket and then drove off in 60 seconds.

That is probably true, however he has already destroyed the boot which makes him liable for it. He may be able to fight the ticket, but the boot he would need to pay for.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Say you left the car there overnight and when you came back in the morning the boot was gone. You figured it got taken care of. Destroy evidence.

musclefan21

Established Member
Wow, this thread is full of fail. The boot is property of the city. He destroyed it. He can face charges for that. The ticket is registered and if not paid and a boot release issued he will continue to accumulate charges.

how about a private boots? a small bar put one on my car once, I wanted to beat the crap out of the bartender. parkinglot was empty, it is not like i filled their last spot and it was in naperville where everywhere is free. I paid and GTFO there but still pisses me off. they charged me 110 bucks for parking their shitty parking spot. :bash:

cj3113

King of Controversy
Established Member
how about a private boots? a small bar put one on my car once, I wanted to beat the crap out of the bartender. parkinglot was empty, it is not like i filled their last spot and it was in naperville where everywhere is free. I paid and GTFO there but still pisses me off. they charged me 110 bucks for parking their shitty parking spot. :bash:

Naperville for the loss. Hated their high school basketball teams.

Users who are viewing this thread