Anyone ever broken their collarbone?

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
Was hoping to hear your personal experience about what the recovery was like. I've broken bones before but this is the first collarbone snap, and I made sure I did it right, as you can see lol. Going under the knife next Tuesday.

How long did it take to get back? Surgery? Lingering pain, etc.

Figured with all the professional svtp street fighters and power lifters, there's gotta be some stories!

3fcab9d7bfe8d038bfbecd61b44d27cc.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Coiled03

Established Member
Yup, broke mine skateboarding when I was a kid. If I recall, it took about 8 weeks to heal up properly. No lingering pain that I remember.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
crashed a 4 wheeler in my late 20's back in 2008 and destroyed mine. Required a cadavers clavicle and a titanium plate over it all to put it back together...

I won't lie to you in any way...I've broken many bones and had quite a few "reconstructive" surgeries on my feet, knees, hands, etc...The recovery from the collarbone was far worse than any of them...It was the one that made me decide it was time to dial it back a little bit on my extreme activities...

Initial recovery wasn't too bad. I'm assuming you'll be staying overnight? The worst part was sleeping. I had to sleep sitting up in a chair for almost 6 months as it just hurt too bad to lay down. That was by far the worst part and actually I got a little depressed from the whole lack of good sleep thing for so long...

It took me almost two years to fully recover from it (being able to truly get back into the powerlifting levels I was at prior to injury, etc.). It was a solid year before I could really even get back into any kind of actual lifting or strenuous activity.

The area was also hyper sensitive for those first couple years. I would pick up a shovel, rake, etc. and without thinking throw it over my shoulder and the sensation would be like a bell ringing throughout my entire skeleton...Not fun...

9 years removed from the surgery though I'm just as good, if not better, than I was prior to the accident. No lingering effects of any kind to speak of...

Don't want to scare you or anything but I also don't want to try to pass it off as no big deal...

Attachments

• DSC00109.JPG
    DSC00109.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC00110.JPG
    DSC00110.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 113
  • SHLDR1.jpg
    SHLDR1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 149
  • SHLDR2.jpg
    SHLDR2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 116
  • SHLDR3.jpg
    SHLDR3.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 126
  • SHLDR4.jpg
    SHLDR4.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 117

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
Ouch. So what's the story?
Well, even at my ripe old man age of 38, I'm a fairly competitive expert bmx racer. Was in Louisville, Kentucky this past weekend for a national race. At the end of the first straight, at the top of a roller leading into the first turn, I came together with another rider.

My bike instantly went one way and I went another and I bailed. Landed with all my weight on my left side from probably a 6-7 foot drop onto flat ground.

The collarbone bone break is the worst injury, but my ribs, hip, and leg are all jacked up too. Maybe I'm getting too old for this shit lol.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
I broke mine in a motorcycle accident like 10 years ago. I didn't need surgery, there's no way to put a collarbone in a hard cast but I did wear a brace for a few weeks. It felt weird being able to touch and feel the broken bone until it started to fuse back together. Doing the simplest of tasks was painful. I can't remember how long it took be to fully healed but I've never had any issues.

The brace I wore looked something like this:
comforclaviclebrc.jpg

Sirhc7897

Established Member
To clarify on my "down time". I was back to functioning "normally" in about 6-7 months after the surgery but I wasn't what I considered 100% for about two years after (being able to physically push myself to the levels I wanted, experiencing no pain, not needing to go to sleep with an ice pack on after exercising, etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
crashed a 4 wheeler in my late 20's back in 2008 and destroyed mine. Required a cadavers clavicle and a titanium plate over it all to put it back together...

I won't lie to you in any way...I've broken many bones and had quite a few "reconstructive" surgeries on my feet, knees, hands, etc...The recovery from the collarbone was far worse than any of them...It was the one that made me decide it was time to dial it back a little bit on my extreme activities...

Initial recovery wasn't too bad. I'm assuming you'll be staying overnight? The worst part was sleeping. I had to sleep sitting up in a chair for almost 6 months as it just hurt too bad to lay down. That was by far the worst part and actually I got a little depressed from the whole lack of good sleep thing for so long...

It took me almost two years to fully recover from it (being able to truly get back into the powerlifting levels I was at prior to injury, etc.). It was a solid year before I could really even get back into any kind of actual lifting or strenuous activity.

The area was also hyper sensitive for those first couple years. I would pick up a shovel, rake, etc. and without thinking throw it over my shoulder and the sensation would be like a bell ringing throughout my entire skeleton...Not fun...

9 years removed from the surgery though I'm just as good, if not better, than I was prior to the accident. No lingering effects of any kind to speak of...

Don't want to scare you or anything but I also don't want to try to pass it off as no big deal...
Wow man, that's a bad one. Mine doesn't seem to be at your level, so I'm hoping the plate and screws will take care of it. You must have just exploded yours into dust to have required a whole "new" one!

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Broke my right collarbone twice and my left collarbone once. Only bones I've ever broke. All three times it happened on a 2-wheeled vehicle (bmx bike/dirt bike). Seems I have a propensity for kissing the handlebars when I crash! All three instances resulted in me having to wear a figure 8 brace like what it pictured above. As stated took about 8 weeks to heal with no lingering side effects.

U.M.

Coiled03

Established Member
Ouch. So what's the story?

Nothing near as bad as the 4-wheeler story, lol. Was skating down a steep driveway that merger with the sidewalk in the middle. On the far side of the sidewalk, the driveway had buckled a little, creating a lip of concrete. Skated down the driveway, hit the lip.....skateboard stopped, I kept going. I caught a couple seconds of good air, then landed on my shoulder.

Black2010

Established Member
Anyone have Tony Romo's phone number for the OP? Sorry, someone had to say it ;-)

seriously though, that sucks and I wish you a speedy recovery. i've broken many bones but that is one I haven't yet (knocking on wood).

Machdup1

Established Member
Broke mine in HS doing full contact football practice without pads. Recovery just took time.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
That sucks OP. I haven't broken anything like that. I've had my fair share of stress fractures in my toes and a fractured finger, and other minor injuries. I've been fortunate enough to not need a cast yet, despite playing contact sports and riding dirt bikes and quads.

Hope you have a relatively quick and painless recovery.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I broke mine 20 years ago playing football. Never got it fixed and it still bothers me from time to time. I especially struggle with overhead lifts at the gym. It'll be sore if I sleep on that side too.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Yep, broken both of mine (one also riding BMX!)...and recovery time sucks.
Right side I was 5-6 and got flung off a merry go-round at a high rate of speed into a tree - needless to say my mom was pissed at my dad for some time lol.

The other one I was 15, I did a hop to manual on a ledge and let the front end down a little too soon when coming off the end, and that's the way the cookie crumbles. I was in a sling for 6 weeks or so, and it hurt like a bitch doing anything physical. I didn't need surgery for either as they were still pretty well aligned.

cheaneyt

Established Member
I don't remember as mine was broken during birth. Good luck on the recovery

sent from somewhere,while in my cobra.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
In '06 I high sided my R1 and went into a curb @~50mph. Broke my left collar bone into 4 major pieces. The reconstruction looks similar to one posted above. Had a second surgery to remove a screw that backed out. The doc decided to just screw that one down more and take a different one out...can still feel how it's not flush to the plate like the others.

Nerve damaged and pain in certain movements still plagues me to this day. For about 6 years the scar was extremely sensitive. Having a seat belt rest on it for too long would become painful.

Good luck in recovery!

Sirhc7897

Established Member
You must have just exploded yours into dust to have required a whole "new" one!

I remember going through the x-rays and the tech has me rotating my hand o different positions and it's killing me. Finally I tell him I've got to sit down as I'm starting to get light headed from the pain. He looks at me and says "I'm actually surprised you've made it this far. I'm no doctor but based on most broken clavicles I've seen compared to yours don't be surprised if they take you in for emergency surgery as I can't locate a rather large chunk of bone".

The doctor told me when they were in there doing the surgery he had to do quite a bit of irrigation to clean it out as there were fragments of bone everywhere. Said it looked like somebody set off an explosive in the bone.

I guess that's how it goes when you turn yourself into a 250lb missile. The missile loses.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I remember going through the x-rays and the tech has me rotating my hand o different positions and it's killing me. Finally I tell him I've got to sit down as I'm starting to get light headed from the pain. He looks at me and says "I'm actually surprised you've made it this far. I'm no doctor but based on most broken clavicles I've seen compared to yours don't be surprised if they take you in for emergency surgery as I can't locate a rather large chunk of bone".

The doctor told me when they were in there doing the surgery he had to do quite a bit of irrigation to clean it out as there were fragments of bone everywhere. Said it looked like somebody set off an explosive in the bone.

I guess that's how it goes when you turn yourself into a 250lb missile. The missile loses.

Sounds like you did what missiles do best.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
Mine was broken during birth the first time, second time I was a kid and collided with my brother on a slip n slide. I just remember wearing a brace that held my arm in place and not being able to swim for the entire summer, no lasting effects but as I said, I was young.

Users who are viewing this thread