Anyone else watching the Rolex Daytona 24hrs?

Coiled03

Established Member
Little over 2 hours left. Ford GTs are dominating the GTLM class! :D

Should get interesting towards the end as they're expecting rain.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Have watched a TON. Record distance might fall. A record that has sit since 1982. Surprisingly clean race.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Been watching since the start yesterday. Yes the Ford GT's have been awesome. Lets hope they close it out with the 1-2 finish.

Coiled03

Established Member
BMW will cry the loudest.

Lets brace ourselves for the next BOP adjustment.

Was reading comments on motorsport.com today, and some guy actually said BoP was put in place to make it easier for the American manufacturers to win. I about spit my drink on the computer.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I watched far too much of it. I recorded just about all of it I could.

The Ford GT's were so dominant it made it boring to watch GTLM, they were basically just chasing themselves. It was surprising to me that they were able to lap both Corvettes just on speed and not really because they made any mistakes. Even with the yellow helping out the number 3 car they just drove away from them and lapped them again.

The prototypes were getting pretty crazy towards the end. I almost wish there was another 20 minutes. The number 5 prototype was barely limping along due to overheating issues and the 31 was coming on strong. The craziest part was the kid who was driving the 31 car. I don't know if you guys saw it but Whelen puts on a challenge race and the winner gets to drive their car in the 24. They put the kid in for what they thought was 2 hours and 1 minute and took him out to put the professionals in the car. Around an hour left the officials told them he was only in for an hour and 59 minutes and needed to hit the 2 hour mark per the rules. They put him back in the car and he was, for a while, catching up to the first place car until they ran out of time.

Can you imagine the feeling if you had your first professional debut and ended up being the driver who actually took first at the end of the race? Especially on a race this big.

GTD actually had a decent little race going on, like 6 cars were all on the same lap at the end and I was pulling for the AMG but due to a fueling miscalculation they shot themselves in the foot.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I've been so busy, I forgot it was going on this weekend. I am hating myself right now. This is one of the things I look forward to the most all year long..

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Was reading comments on motorsport.com today, and some guy actually said BoP was put in place to make it easier for the American manufacturers to win. I about spit my drink on the computer.

LMFAO, really? Some folks are just too ****ing stupid to live.

I've been so busy, I forgot it was going on this weekend. I am hating myself right now. This is one of the things I look forward to the most all year long..

I forgot about it too, both of our girls are sick with strep and flu, it was a hellish weekend. My buddy texted me this weekend to see if I had watched it...FTMFL

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It was easy to miss, I ended up seeing something about it on Jalopnik and that's how I remembered.

Do you guys have social media? It helps to follow the drivers. I follow most of the FGT guys because some of them actually reply to my questions lol.

If there was a way to send you the race I would Hissman, sorry to hear.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I saw zero advertising for it this year.

Correct. There was not much at all. I have watched it for so many years now its like the 4th July when Jan. comes and then its Rolex 24 time....lol. Same with the Daytona 500 but I don't watch Nascar much at all anymore. I prefer road racing and have been to the 6 hour Imsa race at Watkins Glen before and might go this year to see the Ford GT's.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
It was easy to miss, I ended up seeing something about it on Jalopnik and that's how I remembered.

Do you guys have social media? It helps to follow the drivers. I follow most of the FGT guys because some of them actually reply to my questions lol.

If there was a way to send you the race I would Hissman, sorry to hear.

Thanks. I will just watch a lot of highlights on youtube. I usually camp out in front of the TV for just about the whole 24. I'm one of those weirdies. I just like to watch and listen to all of the interactions with the crews and stuff. 90% of the time there is nothing going on, but there are moments of excitement that are worth watching the whole thing live for. It is definitely on my bucket list to see one live and get a pit pass.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Thanks. I will just watch a lot of highlights on youtube. I usually camp out in front of the TV for just about the whole 24. I'm one of those weirdies. I just like to watch and listen to all of the interactions with the crews and stuff. 90% of the time there is nothing going on, but there are moments of excitement that are worth watching the whole thing live for. It is definitely on my bucket list to see one live and get a pit pass.

I did more or less the same thing. I realized right around 10 AM on Sunday morning that I'm glad there aren't too many 24 hour races as I could tell it was already bothering my fiancee. I got up to take a shit and I came back to her watching fashion shows.

Recording it and starting like 4 hours late is the best call, you can ff through all the commercials and by the time the race is over, you are caught up.

I would love to see one in person but my best friend would definitely have to come and his wife would too, and she isn't even remotely as patient as my fiancee. They went to Le Mans and from the sounds of it they were only at the track for like 6 hours total and I know for a fact he would have rather stayed for like 15 or so hours.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
We went to LeMans in 2016 and my wife I left the track for only 5 hours and our hotel was an hour from the track. We would have not left, but we didnt think far enough ahead in the thrash to get to the track early to try to beat the mad traffic getting in sat AM. We needed to go back to get our luggage as our flight was Sunday night. Went to Daytona that year too. 24 races are incredible experiences.

They went to Le Mans and from the sounds of it they were only at the track for like 6 hours total and I know for a fact he would have rather stayed for like 15 or so hours.

Users who are viewing this thread