Anyone else watching the Casey Anthony trial?

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Been following this since it happened way back when. Now they got the trial live on CNN every day and I'm hooked! Her ass is gonna get it!

FSVTF: I know they're trying to say she was abused etc to try to gain sympathy, but couldn't this potentially cause a lot of drama for her dad and brother now that they've been accused of physical and sexual assault? Aren't some crimes like those still within the statute of limitations? When people accuse family members of crimes like that in a trial, does LE ever initiate an investigation on the supposed abuser?

Edit: Damn you pryme tyme!! Thread idea stealer.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Been following this since it happened way back when. Now they got the trial live on CNN every day and I'm hooked! Her ass is gonna get it!

FSVTF: I know they're trying to say she was abused etc to try to gain sympathy, but couldn't this potentially cause a lot of drama for her dad and brother now that they've been accused of physical and sexual assault? Aren't some crimes like those still within the statute of limitations? When people accuse family members of crimes like that in a trial, does LE ever initiate an investigation on the supposed abuser?

Damn you pryme tyme!! Idea stealer.

I am dealing with my own trials, dont have time to watch hers. Although, I have friends who are prosecutors in that office.

That defense is silly because she never made the abuse claim before. But, the defense will get to allege that her father and brother are testifying in a negative way because she said they molested her. It is pointless allegation because it is likely it never happened and no one is going to believe her.

Previous abuse comes up more than you think, but not normally as a defense. It is usually brought up as a mitigating factor. Yes, if founded or believable, the police will investigate. But it wont become part of the trial nor would it impact the trial. They are totally separate issues.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I also called BS when the defense brought up sexual abuse from her father and brother. It's nothing more than a smoke screen.

In my mind, she was guilty from day one when I heard she waited 30 days to tell anyone her daughter was missing.

oldmodman

Established Member
Not watching it.

Was tired of hearing about the case after the second day.

The only reason you have even heard about the case is due to the victim being a cute white little girl.
And the accused killer being an acceptable looking dumb (really dumb) white girl.

I really wish that obnoxious, Blond TV host, that keeps these cases in the public eye would occasionally spend her show talking about a minority child case instead of the cute white child du jour, or California's latest bastard (either in office or just an unfortunate accident)

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
I really wish that obnoxious, Blond TV host, that keeps these cases in the public eye would occasionally spend her show talking about a minority child case instead of the cute white child du jour, or California's latest bastard (either in office or just an unfortunate accident)

Yep. Nancy Grace is the scum of the earth. Could you imagine being married to that?

That defense is silly because she never made the abuse claim before. But, the defense will get to allege that her father and brother are testifying in a negative way because she said they molested her. It is pointless allegation because it is likely it never happened and no one is going to believe her.

Previous abuse comes up more than you think, but not normally as a defense. It is usually brought up as a mitigating factor. Yes, if founded or believable, the police will investigate. But it wont become part of the trial nor would it impact the trial. They are totally separate issues.

Am I able to make up an abuse claim as a defense to get unbanned from SVTP if I get banned again? :rolling:

I can't even begin to imagine what it would feel like to lose a grand daughter and be subjected to all that hate and drama.. and then be publicly accused of abuse by a daughter. :nonono: In your experience when those allegations are made, are the family members ever able to put that behind them after the trial because they know it was just a legal strategy? I'd be suing mad if I was George, but at the same time what the hell's the point after everything else that's already happened.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I can't even begin to imagine what it would feel like to lose a grand daughter and be subjected to all that hate and drama.. and then be publicly accused of abuse by a daughter. :nonono: In your experience when those allegations are made, are the family members ever able to put that behind them after the trial because they know it was just a legal strategy? I'd be suing mad if I was George, but at the same time what the hell's the point after everything else that's already happened.

Putting something like this behind a person is difficult even if a legal strategy. A lawyer cannot knowingly allow a witness to testify to false information. Therefore Baez must believe it to be true. There is an old saying in law "you cant unring a bell." That means once it is said it is out there for good and you cannot truly take it back.

Also, Baez is not qualified to try this case. In Florida, the rules of criminal procedure dictate who is qualified to try a death penalty case. It is rule 3.112. Here is part of the qualifications.

(f) Lead Counsel. Lead trial counsel assignments should be given to attorneys who:

(1) are members of the bar admitted to practice in the jurisdiction or admitted to practice pro hac vice; and

(2) are experienced and active trial practitioners with at least five years of litigation experience in the field of criminal law; and

(3) have prior experience as lead counsel in no fewer than nine state or federal jury trials of serious and complex cases which were tried to completion, as well as prior experience as lead defense counsel or cocounsel in at least two state or federal cases tried to completion in which the death penalty was sought. In addition, of the nine jury trials which were tried to completion, the attorney should have been lead counsel in at least three cases in which the charge was murder; or alternatively, of the nine jury trials, at least one was a murder trial and an additional five were felony jury trials; and

(4) are familiar with the practice and procedure of the criminal courts of the jurisdiction; and

(5) are familiar with and experienced in the utilization of expert witnesses and evidence, including but not limited to psychiatric and forensic evidence; and

(6) have demonstrated the necessary proficiency and commitment which exemplify the quality of representation appropriate to capital cases, including but not limited to the investigation and presentation of evidence in mitigation of the death penalty; and

(7) have attended within the last two years a continuing legal education program of at least twelve hours’ duration devoted specifically to the defense of capital cases.

(g) Co-counsel. Trial co-counsel assignments should be given to attorneys who:

(1) are members of the bar admitted to practice in the jurisdiction or admitted to practice pro hac vice; and

(2) qualify as lead counsel under paragraph

(f) of these standards or meet the following requirements:

(A) are experienced and active trial practitioners with at least three years of litigation experience in the field of criminal law; and

(B) have prior experience as lead counsel or cocounsel in no fewer than three state or federal jury trials of serious and complex cases which were tried to completion, at least two of which were trials in which the charge was murder; or alternatively, of the three jury trials, at least one was a murder trial and one was a felony jury trial; and

(C) are familiar with the practice and procedure of the criminal courts of the jurisdiction; and

(D) have demonstrated the necessary proficiency and commitment which exemplify the quality of representation appropriate to capital cases, and

(E) have attended within the last two years a continuing legal education program of at least twelve hours’ duration devoted specifically to the defense of capital cases.

Baez barely meets the guidelines for co-counsel. Even though the Florida Bar is in the top three hardest bar exams in the country, it took him four times to pass it. When he finally passed his license was immediately suspended for a year for failure to pay his own child support. Instead of paying support he went on an extended vacation to Europe.

He is really a weasel.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Not watching it.

Was tired of hearing about the case after the second day.

The only reason you have even heard about the case is due to the victim being a cute white little girl.
And the accused killer being an acceptable looking dumb (really dumb) white girl.

:poke:

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
He is really a weasel.

Maybe it's just my lack of knowledge on court cases, but the guy seems like a total joke. The way he attacks everyone is laughable to me. Why do they even let him represent her? Is it just because nobody else will?

Any thoughts on Judge Perry? He seems cool but he almost seems a little too laid back for the position he holds.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Maybe it's just my lack of knowledge on court cases, but the guy seems like a total joke. The way he attacks everyone is laughable to me. Why do they even let him represent her? Is it just because nobody else will?

Any thoughts on Judge Perry? He seems cool but he almost seems a little too laid back for the position he holds.

Belvin Perry is a well respected and professional jurist. He has been a judge in Florida for over 20 years. He is laid back but he knows the law and the rules.

A defendant is allowed to choose her own counsel, even if he is a doofus.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Why does the defense keep crying when the witnesses turn to the jury while answering their questions? I know they said they're trained to do it that way, but does it actually make any difference?

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Why does the defense keep crying when the witnesses turn to the jury while answering their questions? I know they said they're trained to do it that way, but does it actually make any difference?

One of the key tactics of defense attorneys is to disrupt the flow of positive testimony through objections, whether appropriate or not.

Often when they go to sidebar it is because the other side if continuing to do something that has been repeatedly objected to and sustained or that is a continuing problem, such as Mr. Baez's tactic of testifying via his cross examination questioning.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I know quite a few of the people involved in the case unfortunately. One of my best friends grew up with Casey. She was offered 50K to talk to Nancy Grace. She passed. Another girl that kinda knew her took the offer and lied about how they used to play in the woods where they found her body.

2 are waiting to be called to the stand as witnesses.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
I know quite a few of the people involved in the case unfortunately. One of my best friends grew up with Casey. She was offered 50K to talk to Nancy Grace. She passed. Another girl that kinda knew her took the offer and lied about how they used to play in the woods where they found her body.

2 are waiting to be called to the stand as witnesses.

50K for a couple minutes of talking, sign me up.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Casey Anthony's guilt is blinding, yet I'm getting the feeling she'll get life instead of the needle or whatever they do down there. :nonono:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Casey Anthony's guilt is blinding, yet I'm getting the feeling she'll get life instead of the needle or whatever they do down there. :nonono:

no, she'll get what she deserves in prison. women in prison who have children will take good care of her. trust me. its coming.:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread