Anyone else having problems shredding belts on vortechs

96vertsnake

Established Member
I'm running a YSI and I shred the belts every time I rev above 7500. I have 8 rib pulleys that were put on by a local shop so I don't know what brand they are. I spoke with Vortech and they told me that this will happen if the pulleys are not lined up correctly even if it's just a fraction. How can I line the pulleys up so I know that they are EXACTLY in line? I'm really getting frustrated with this to the point of giving up on a blower and going turbo.

My build in in my signature.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
It took me for ever to figure mine out. I went through about 10 belts.
When the belt jumps is it comming off the blower pulley? or one of the other pulleys?
or is it just flying off altogether?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Make sure you have the proper length pulley for 1. Then take it to a shop to make sure they are lined up properly.. I know that my shop has a laser tool thing that can shoot a laser to check and stuff.

96vertsnake

Established Member
Factory tensioner. I was looking at the thump rrr tensioner.

Do you know how they set up the laser for alignment?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I have no clue man I wish I knew.. But they get it in alignment to something stupid like .001 or something ridiculous like that..

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
you can rent a gates belt alignment tool from autozone or any place like that. they are difficult to figure out from what i hear. You will have to put spacers behind the pullies to align the belts, and they dont need to be suuuuuuper exact, but really damn close.

Chris, drew helped me space out my procharger bracket in front of the shop and ive never had a belt problem since. I spin my d1 to 7k with a 3.4 pulley and its primo.

harvboi05

Established Member
lots of patience and a true-straight edge helped me get mine pretty good. i was only shifting at ~7ish tho.

i replaced all my idlers too. do you run a non-slip RR pulley?

Users who are viewing this thread