Anyone else have Bariatric Surgery? Here's my story w/pics.

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I'll apologize ahead of time if this is a long read.

I'll start by telling you guys that I wasn't always the big kid. I was always the smallest in all my classes both in height and weight. I was never really a big fan of eating and happily spent most of my time playing outside and being active. I remember a few occasions where I would not be allowed to go out and play until I ate a full meal. My parents both worked when I was a kid but they always found time to sit my butt down and make me eat dinner lol. Being from a Hispanic background my mom cooked every night and it seemed like it was always rice and beans with some type of protein and veggie. We usually stayed away from fast foods, it helped that my mom was an amazing cook. Looking back at it now, I'd say our meal choices would lean more towards the balanced side.

Middle School: This is when I packed on the weight. I can't remember how tall I was but I'd venture to say around 4ft 10" around 150 pounds...I was fat. Around that time my parent were divorced and my meal choices were mostly based on connivence rather than nutrition. I won't sit here and blame my parents or even use their divorce as an excuse. I'm sure I knew better than to eat fast food as often as I did. Having chili cheese fries with chips and a power add for lunch at school didn't help either.

High School: The poor health choices continued and my level of activity plummeted. I went to a magnet school which didn't offer a sport program other than basket ball. I tried out since I did like playing but there was no way a 5ft 3" 200 pound kid was going to make the team. Oh we'll, at least I tried.

2004-2010: Again, I continued to make port health choices and remained stagnant with almost no outdoor physical activity. I was now 5ft 4" and 250lbs...morbidly obese. Not good since hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease run in the family.

Throughout HS and after I graduated, I always tried to lose the weight and made an honest effort each time. The most weight I was able to take off was 30lbs. I kept it off for a few months. My bad eating habits and lack of will power changed that.

October 2010. This is when I heard the news that I was going to be a father. I knew from that point on I had to make a drastic lifestyle change. Not only for myself but also my family. I decided to go to a Bariatric Surgery seminar. I hated being there. I felt ashamed and embarrassed that I let myself get to this point. But I had to do it so there was no backing out.

I received a lot of criticism from friends and family both of which weren't all that supportive of my decision. Every time the subject came up I was told I was taking the easy way out. TRUST ME, there was nothing easy about my decision and the lifestyle change ahead of me. I'll be glad to explain in detail of what I mean.

July 18th, 2011: The day of my surgery, I was 260lbs. I remember this because my son was exactly 3 months old that day. I elected to had a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. This is where they reduce and remove part of your stomach and staple you back up. Surgery took about 90 minutes and recovery was about a week. I wasn't in much pain and only took a few doses of the LoraTab syrup prescribed.

Today: 5ft 5" 140lbs. My lifestyle has completely changed. I exercise regularly, eat healthy, and stay away from excessive carbs and sugar..I miss soda and beer :(
I remember when I hit the plateau at 170lbs. That's when the gym took over and helped me lose the rest. It's amazing the amount of energy I have now. Less headaches, blood pressure in the normal range, confidence is also on the rise and I do a lot better with the ladies now that my I don't have to use my personality as my only crutch lol.

Before: size 40 or 42 pants. 2x shirts.
Now: size 29 or 30 slim pants. Small to medium shirts.

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
congrats on having a life changing moment to realize you needed to make a change, and then following through with it.

i'm sure you feel a lot better, have more energy and are a lot happy...but most importantly of all, you're gonna be around awhile longer to have a relationship with your kid and to be active with your son.

I love me some success stories. always good to read, congrats and keep up the hard work! life takes work, doesn't matter what it is. school, staying healthy, looking professional and clean cut, losing weight, studying, learning new things...it all takes WORK. A lot of people in this country, let themselves go, and don't care and its because they don't want to put in the work.

:beer:

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
Keep it up dude. So many people get the surgery and continue the lifestyle that got them there. It's sickening.

Glad to see you active and eating more healthy. Now you can really enjoy playing with your son as he gets older instead of being a couch potato

brucesvt

Established Member
the only real question:

you getting more 'poon now?

:lol::lol:

But great job on keeping the weight off, i have a family member that had the procedure and thinks that she can still have the same unhealthy lifestyle as before. Again Congrats on staying healthy and good luck.:beer::beer:

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Awesome job!

I want to say that even though you don't want to blame them, your parents really did set you up for failure (with your weight), which is sad. Not that they did it on purpose or anything like that, but how kids eat growing up is how they tend to eat once they are old enough to make those choices themselves because it's what they are used to. By that time they are fighting an uphill battle.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Some people say its cheating, but you still have to put in the effort to live a healthy life, that is what people do not realize. Congrats to you for making the lifestyle change and going the extra mile instead of the quick fix mentality. You look good (no homo)

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Great story! My neighbor and his wife both had that surgery, they have lost 375-400lbs between the two of them! He was extremely obese 425+lbs, she tipped the scales around 300lbs. They attended psychological counseling as well threw away their over sized diner plates for smaller portion sized plates. To top it off, he is now off all his diabetic medications including insulin shots. I guess you could say he has been cured of his diabetes. He has a new lease on life.

Last edited:

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Did you have to deal with the "Dripping candle" skin stuff? a guy at my work had this done about 2 years ago and hes had to have a few surgeries to tighten up his skin if you will.

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
Did you have to deal with the "Dripping candle" skin stuff? a guy at my work had this done about 2 years ago and hes had to have a few surgeries to tighten up his skin if you will.

Yeah, but not as bad as most. I kept my protein intake really high while I was loosing the weight as not to loose too much muscle which helped with skin retraction. I'll never have a visible six pack but I think if I continue weight training I can almost eliminate the man boobs.

My scars are barely visible anymore. I'd have to look hard to find them myself. My stomach is kinda gross but I expected this. Actually I expected a lot worse than this so I'm okay with it.

I'd be lying if I said I only had surgery to be healthy. I also wanted to look good too. I still won't go swimming in public since I'm still extremely self conscious about my chest.

I've been asked if I would consider plastic surgery to tighten things up – nope, I think of the stretch marks and skin as battle scars and a reminder that I want to stay healthy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread