Anyone else drive like a grandma

KotnmthKng

Established Member
Uhhh....no

How could you not bring it to redline yet? Its a Cobra!

If I wanted to drive like my gramma I would have bought a Buick or something

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
KotnmthKng said:
Uhhh....no

How could you not bring it to redline yet? Its a Cobra!

If I wanted to drive like my gramma I would have bought a Buick or something
So? why should a cobra be revved to redline any more than a GT?

I drive my car fairly gently. Im too old to be driving like a prick like most of these guys do. I do use onramps to get to 7200rpm on occasion.

dlt85

Established Member
I TOTALLY drive like a grandma. For the past 10 years i've believed that VTEC preludes were "fast":loser: , so when i got this car, i was a little over my head in power:banana: .I've had my opportunity for some street kills against ricers (even ricer mustangs lol), but what's the point sometimes. It's not really the pull that is scary, it's seeing everything approaching you so fast when you get on it. AND I even have STOCK gears...flame away boys:burnout:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
when i'm not racing i usually drive like a grandma. Though sometimes i used take a trip up one of Chattanooga's glorious mountains for some spirited driving.

With the suspension on it now it handles worse than my 7000lb land yacht expedition....

coolguy10786

Established Member
I do for the most part. No point in showing off driving around town. Plus it helps to get better gas mileage and then when i do get on it, it just feels that much faster. Drag strip is another story though:burnout:

jzepp

Established Member
see i don't understand this. I use to drive like a grandma and my buddy said that i am hurting the car. These cars were not designed to be driven like that. That is what he is telling me. You can get cylinder washout or something like that from driving alot of stop and go and driving it too easy.

He said to drive the thing like it was designed to be driven. Hard and high RPM's, Does anybody agree with that?

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
jzepp said:
He said to drive the thing like it was designed to be driven. Hard and high RPM's, Does anybody agree with that?

i don't. the lower in the rpms you keep it, the longer its longevity.

dlt85

Established Member
jzepp said:
see i don't understand this. I use to drive like a grandma and my buddy said that i am hurting the car. These cars were not designed to be driven like that. That is what he is telling me. You can get cylinder washout or something like that from driving alot of stop and go and driving it too easy.

That's like saying bulletproof glass is made to be bulletproof, so it will last longer if you shoot at it more often.:nonono: Give him an SN 95 cobra and see how long it will last compared to one of us "grandmas":rollseyes

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
jzepp said:

yeah, he's incorrect.

No car is designed to be driven hard. Cars are designed to be able to handle it more than occasionally without failure but don't think you are doing the car any favors.

jzepp

Established Member
That is what i am trying to tell him. He says i baby it too much and that it won't last long because it was designed to be driven hard. I seriously do not understand his philosophy behind that.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
I drive like a grandma around town, but I play around on onramps or country highways pretty often. I am usually going under the speed-limit in town, and you'll NEVER catch me revving up my engine, doing burnouts, or other stupid shit to try to look cool.

KotnmthKng

Established Member
quadcammer said:
So? why should a cobra be revved to redline any more than a GT?

I drive my car fairly gently. Im too old to be driving like a prick like most of these guys do. I do use onramps to get to 7200rpm on occasion.

I never said anything about a GT. Im just saying hes had the car 3 weeks and he hasnt even brought it to redline once? That was like the first thing I did when I bought mine. Of course I was on the highway.

WhtSuperStang

Established Member
i drive like a grandma to make sure i get good gas mileage....but when im at the track i drive it like a stole it :burnout:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
RippinSVT said:
I drive like a grandma around town, but I play around on onramps or country highways pretty often. I am usually going under the speed-limit in town, and you'll NEVER catch me revving up my engine, doing burnouts, or other stupid shit to try to look cool.

^^^^^^^^:thumbsup: ^^^^^^^^^^

I have been known to turn the cars up, on occassion, but a very, very rare occassion. Yep, Granny for me!

R

Last edited:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Overall I drive mine 5 - 10 mph over the speed limit depending where I am at and don't pound through the gears doing that. However on a nice open stretch of road I will wind things up and do have the odd race.

KotnmthKng

Established Member
Whats the point of having a fast car with go fast parts if you are gonna drive like a granny? Dont get me wrong Im not saying drive like a jackass, but if Im gonna get 18mpg, they are going to be worth it.

gmaine

Established Member
I try to pull her up to 6K or so through 1st and 2nd on every ride to keep her in shape. I only drive her 1-2k miles per year. Ford designed these engines to rev so let it rev.

Users who are viewing this thread