Anyone driving their 5.0 in snow?

dru440

Established Member
Im moving from GA to Michigan and have driven mustangs in the snow in the past. Technically even with 400+hp this should drive better in the snow than some of my past stangs... the stability and traction control should be decent. What do you guys think?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
The car sucked on snow last winter wearing the stock all seasons so I swapped them for snow tires this year. Car handles like a tank now with no weight in the trunk and advancetrac in sport mode.

I now prefer rwd to fwd in the snow since the front end can lift in the heavy stuff and I still have traction.

Get snow tires if it's your DD and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Cheaper than a winter beater. Also gives you an excuse to buy a summer wheel / tire setup.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
Im moving from GA to Michigan and have driven mustangs in the snow in the past. Technically even with 400+hp this should drive better in the snow than some of my past stangs... the stability and traction control should be decent. What do you guys think?

I did three winters in St. Louis before I moved out here to the land of eternal sunshine. I'm not sure I'd want to do a Michigan winter with a 'stang and certainly not on the stock shitty all seasons. If you insist on doing this, definitely get a legit set of snow tires. The stock Neros are worthless on anything above an inch of snow.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I saw 3 mustangs get stuck within a few hours here in MI. Good F'n luck with a mustang in the weather we have had in the past week.

Where in Michigan are you moving too?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Naa these cars are useless in snow, that's why I have an awd suv! Besides why have all that salt up under the car eating up your custom parts!

vortecd

Established Member
I drove Fox 5.0's in the winter in Michigan for over 15 years. SNOW TIRES all the way around. If it was a bad storm I would throw a set of heads in the back. Cars were awesome in the snow. I have an evo now for the winter. It accelerates better then the mustangs but after that I really don't think it is much better

alex12gt

Established Member
I'm driving my 14 in it no issues on stock tires......but if its really nasty I take the wife's jeep.....and I'm in I'll where they salt the roads like crazy but I won't own it more then 3 years at best so I don't care

goat-ee

Established Member
If you haven't put real snow tires on all 4 corners of your Mustang and actually drove it in snow, your opinion is irrelevant to the discussion. I also have had Mustangs in the snow with regular street tires and yes, they are worthless. A real set of snow tires makes ALL the difference in the world!!

It's about like running the stock tires at the drag strip and wonder why it won't hook!!! Same difference, the right tire for the right application.

Last edited:

TSHOES

Established Member
I live in Kansas City and I just bought my mustang about 7 weeks ago. I bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzack LM-32 and I absolutely love them. I have gone out and tested them in snow and it has really surprised me. The one thing I was worried about the most was coming to a stop on a hill then get going again (uphill), especially with a manual, it takes a lot of feel not to spin or set the TCS off. I was recommended the Blizzacks from the firestone guys next to my house, most of them have them on their cars including a guy with a Termi that works there. The only think I would say is definitely get them off Tire Rack and have them shipped to you then installed. All the tire dealers out here wanted 350-400 bucks A TIRE, absolutely absurd, I got mine for 245~ a tire on the rack. But then again with the amount of snow Michigan gets compared to here..well... good luck lol.

P.S. I don't have any extra weight in the rear of my car.

alex12gt

Established Member
Its also in how you drive........so to say my opinion is irrelavent is a joke......never said they were great but they work better then going out and shelling cash on winter tires it money I can use toward a summer setup

vortecd

Established Member
I live in Kansas City and I just bought my mustang about 7 weeks ago. I bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzack LM-32 and I absolutely love them. I have gone out and tested them in snow and it has really surprised me. The one thing I was worried about the most was coming to a stop on a hill then get going again (uphill), especially with a manual, it takes a lot of feel not to spin or set the TCS off. I was recommended the Blizzacks from the firestone guys next to my house, most of them have them on their cars including a guy with a Termi that works there. The only think I would say is definitely get them off Tire Rack and have them shipped to you then installed. All the tire dealers out here wanted 350-400 bucks A TIRE, absolutely absurd, I got mine for 245~ a tire on the rack. But then again with the amount of snow Michigan gets compared to here..well... good luck lol.

P.S. I don't have any extra weight in the rear of my car.

Not sure why blizzacks have become the standard in snow tires. Tell someone you have snow tires and they will say "blizzacks" I have had 2 sets on 2 different cars and don't care for them. Myself I prefer Cooper weather masters. The bottom line as already stated you need snow tires for snow. Buy an extra set of wheels to put them on.

IT-Purrrs

Established Member
My Mustang is asleep in the garage especially in MI. This insane weather we have had lately I would hate to risk its life. I have through about throwing snow tires on my spare 19's but right now I have a good AWD SUV and look forward to breaking the Mustang out in April.

ExTurbo

Established Member
i have been takin my grandmothers camry when it gets bad around here, otherwise the stock Pzeros have been having to do. im gonna try and make it through with winter with them and replace them with actual winter performance tires next year. They truly suck in any ammount of snow

TSHOES

Established Member
i have been takin my grandmothers camry when it gets bad around here, otherwise the stock Pzeros have been having to do. im gonna try and make it through with winter with them and replace them with actual winter performance tires next year. They truly suck in any ammount of snow

About a week before i bought my car I went to test drive it at the dealership and it had snowed probably one inch; it took the salesman 5 mins to move the car 100ft in an inch of snow with the p-zeros on. Needless to say, they didn't let me test drive it that day haha.

Black Fire

Wings Fan
Established Member
I must have balls of steel because I drove 2 Michigan winters on the original (summer only) P zeros. Last year they were pretty much bald but I managed, the TCS and Stability programs work well. I now have Cooper RS3-A's and have no issues, driving in snow is all about tires plus patience and common sense.

scott_0

Established Member
I dont unless I absolutely have to, I have a 91 Honda Civic beater I drive in snow, but as soon as the roads are clean I hop back in the Mustang, its my daily driver

acrbill

Established Member
Chicago has been blasted with snow and I have taken my 2011 out a few times. Its even lowered a good amount.

Stock tires and I have not even come close to getting stuck. The trac and stability control are flipping awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread