Anyone driven a bmw 335 or a mercedes e55 amg?

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I've got an 03 cobra with 450rwhp but the creaks and clunks during lower speeds is starting to annoy me more and more. I'm throwing around the idea of either a bmw 335 or mercedes e55 amg. I'm worried that they wouldn't have that real seat of the pants acceleration that I LOVE in the cobra. So my question, would I be satisfied with either options or would they feel painfully slow compared to my cobra. I'm aware of their acceleration specs so their clearly both quick, but are they too refined and quiet to get that same seat of the pants feel? Thanks guys.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
E55 all day long. It's a 200mph car. Plus you'll love the low end power on that beast.

Last edited:

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
Both are nice cars, but with the European brand comes more expensive mods. I've driven a 05 E55 AMG, and it was stock. Boy that thing was a blast, I'd probably take one over my car because its a benz with a supercharge and its damn quick for being the Titanic.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
E55 launch control ftw! :burnout:

but buy one still under warranty with as few miles as possible....:read:

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Just reading reviews it's clear that the e55 is the better car. But with that car comes a higher cost than the 335. Does anyone have any experience with 335's and whether they're actually comparable to a pullied cobra? There's nothing that cures a bad day like that blower whine.

SSmoked99

Burn that sh*t UBZ
Established Member
Just reading reviews it's clear that the e55 is the better car. But with that car comes a higher cost than the 335. Does anyone have any experience with 335's and whether they're actually comparable to a pullied cobra? There's nothing that cures a bad day like that blower whine.

Well stock 335i's aren't that fast. I can beat them in my SS and if you compare it to your Cobra it might feel really slow. They're nice cars though, but out of the 2 you mentioned I would definitely get the E55 AMG.

JohninMD

Established Member

A boss I had at my previous job had a brand new 335i. We met up twice and both times I walked him in my stock lightning (only a catback no bolt ons no CAI yet). I told him if we were on Pinks I would own that car next run!

I do not think the BMW 335i would compare to a pullied Cobra.

Last edited:

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I've been in a 335i before.. Theyre great cars.. But I've never been in a e55 though. The only mercedes I've ever drove was my mothers CLK-430.

You cant go wrong with either of the 2 you mentioned though.. Just keep in mind its going to be more expensive to mod them if you plan on it.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
My mom has a 335i sedan and it's an awesome car to drive. I've never been in an E55, but I'd go with the Bimmer because I like BMW better than Mercedes and I'd rather be rowing a 6 speed than have an auto. Plus you can't go wrong with twin turbos. An ECU tune and exhaust nets you almost 400hp.

usaf_eagle

Established Member
I own a 2005 E55.. The car is amazing.. The torque down low is insane for a stock car. I dyno'd 432hp/473tq bone stock and have bested a 12.4@113 so far.. It's definitely got more in it too with some traction (1.95 60').. Car weighed in at 4050lbs without me in it. It's definitely a pig around corners though.. Even with adjustable air suspension it's very top heavy and soft around corners.
All being said, I get sooo many compliments on the E55 every day it's ridiculous. And most people have no idea what kind of power lurks under the hood.

usaf_eagle

Established Member
Pics

CIMG1999.jpg
CIMG2001.jpg

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member

No. Driven a stock 07 and while it was deceptively quick, it was not even close to a stock cobra. I have a 330ci and love it. The 335 is a much faster version. You don't buy a BMW for speed, it's for the handling. And boy howdy do they feel great. Steering feel is amazing and my car has over 114k on it. If you want more speed buy an M version, but be prepared for high dollar annual maintenance, which is required.

Last edited:

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
if you plan to mod either car...get ready to open up your check book...big time money to mod those cars

if you plan to drive it and leave it alone.....then definitly go with the benz.
for about $1500 bucks you can literally double the power of the 335 with a new computer flash ( i forget the brand ).

usmcrebel

Established Member
i've driven everything from 335's to M5's and SLK's to Sl55 AMG's .... the BMW is a better build as far as holding quality. I personally like them better just for that fact. I am also a huge AMG nut, i love the power they make everywhere in the power band, and i think would be slightly more comfortable on longer trips and you don't see them to often.

Now another option for you might be an ~06 M5 it's about the price of a new 335 and more power. as far as 1/4 times it generally puts down 12.6-12.7's maybe faster but i havent seen it...with a tune and some bolt ons it'll run 11's @~118.

Between the 335 and the E55 AMG i'll take the AMG, but between the M5 and the AMG i'll take the M5

usmcrebel

Established Member
if you plan to mod either car...get ready to open up your check book...big time money to mod those cars

if you plan to drive it and leave it alone.....then definitly go with the benz.
for about $1500 bucks you can literally double the power of the 335 with a new computer flash ( i forget the brand ).

VISHNUU i think... had a local one here running ~450whp with just a tune, but they had problems with the ECU over heating due to the tune....:??::??: didn't get it, but thats what they said.

carnut101

Established Member
VISHNUU i think... had a local one here running ~450whp with just a tune, but they had problems with the ECU over heating due to the tune....:??::??: didn't get it, but thats what they said.

Get a Juicebox instead. I've driven both. A friend has a 335 sedan with less than $5k put into it (full boltons - intake, diverter valves, catless downpipe and midpipe, JB3). Acceleration up to about 100 was comparable to my C5z.

While it can be fast, it's a pretty boring car. I can't comment on the E55, but someone else mentioned an M5, and that car is definitely at the top of the list.

usmcrebel

Established Member
Get a Juicebox instead. I've driven both. A friend has a 335 sedan with less than $5k put into it (full boltons - intake, diverter valves, catless downpipe and midpipe, JB3). Acceleration up to about 100 was comparable to my C5z.

While it can be fast, it's a pretty boring car. I can't comment on the E55, but someone else mentioned an M5, and that car is definitely at the top of the list.

If i get the promotion here at work i will be picking up and M5 as a daily and garaging the Mach 1

Common

Established Member

E55 and 335 arent even in the same class. M5 and E55 is a more appropriate comparison.

E55 has over 500tq and is a comfy, auto, good looking car!

Common

Established Member
If i get the promotion here at work i will be picking up and M5 as a daily and garaging the Mach 1

Pretty dumb and senseless. Since when does it make sense to buy and devalue a 45-50k car over a 14k car?

Users who are viewing this thread