Anyone do a Beater Build...something a little Rougher than "patina"?

andymarkv

Established Member
A friend of mine has super clean stuff and is tired of being worried about it, so he's building a rough around the edges '67 Bel Air with a leftover BBC and will beat it like a rented mule!

There are times when I'm worried about where I'm parking, did I clean it good enough...that this sounds like a really good idea.
I'm not saying parade it around as something great, but just for my own entertainment.
Anybody doing something like this?

Sort of like this Vice Grip Garage short

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've wanted to grab a mediocre Galaxy or Fairlane and drop a turboed big block in it for a long time. I saw a couple over the weekend that would have been perfect.

NIXDSG

Established Member
I'm kinda doing one now, 1970 f100 2wd stepside. The patina isn't great, little rust on door bottoms, stepside step, missing trim, ... I will not "fix" the body or paint it. But doing a complete frame off restoration plus Heidts IFS, gen 2 coyote w/6r80, refreshed the 9", ....

Established Member
I did a 66 comet 390 car into a sleeper 9 second car. At the end it had a 460 based 504 and the front tilted forward, but still looked like crap. Had a ratty looking 70 comet with a Cleveland as well. Poor person with expensive hobbies needs a street hustle.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
My kinda thread.

I've had a number of obstacles that have frozen the timeline but I'll get back on it at some point. You can eat off the bottom or the engine compartment but I prefer a post-apocalyptic attitude for the remainder of the car.

IMG_6166-5K.jpg

IMG_6106-5K.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@Tob, is it set up for the track now? That's serious rubber up front. Do you have a photo of the interior you can post? What is your ultimate plan with the build?

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
My 97 Lincoln town car will eventually be something like this. It’s my daily right now but I got for free. It’s from Chicago so it’s got some rust.

I’m either going to do Coyote swap OR do a mild 4.6l build and put a vortech on it. We’ll see. Nothing will happen until I get another daily which won’t be for a long while.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
My 97 Lincoln town car will eventually be something like this. It’s my daily right now but I got for free. It’s from Chicago so it’s got some rust.

I’m either going to do Coyote swap OR do a mild 4.6l build and put a vortech on it. We’ll see. Nothing will happen until I get another daily which won’t be for a long while.
Im looking to pick up a Crown Vic, Grand Marquis/Marauder or Towncar for exactly this because my Cobra is a garage queen for the most part.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Im looking to pick up a Crown Vic, Grand Marquis/Marauder or Towncar for exactly this because my Cobra is a garage queen for the most part.
Do it! They are cool cars. Land yachts but super comfortable, reliable, easy to work on. I don’t see many panther builds so I hope I can do one with my car at some point.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Colored Bed liner my friend. Looks great, easy to do yourself, and super durable. Been rocking purple bedliner on my Raptor for going on two years. I drive that thing hard. Have mobbed through bushes, ran over small trees, branches in the way of a trail? Don't care, drive through em...

I'll get some pictures of the truck and put them up in here for reference. Been running it hard and so far one tiny little blemish/bedliner chip on the front bumper, not sure what caused it. (maybe a bush or tree or rock)

The best part is, after a pressure wash she looks good as new!

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Colored Bed liner my friend. Looks great, easy to do yourself, and super durable. Been rocking purple bedliner on my Raptor for going on two years. I drive that thing hard. Have mobbed through bushes, ran over small trees, branches in the way of a trail? Don't care, drive through em...

I'll get some pictures of the truck and put them up in here for reference. Been running it hard and so far one tiny little blemish/bedliner chip on the front bumper, not sure what caused it. (maybe a bush or tree or rock)

The best part is, after a pressure wash she looks good as new!

In person it looks most like the first Pic. In certain lights it does look either darker or lighter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240426_142820_Instagram~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240426_142820_Instagram~2.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20240426_142838_Instagram~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240426_142838_Instagram~2.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20240426_142844_Instagram~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240426_142844_Instagram~2.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20240426_142851_Instagram~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240426_142851_Instagram~2.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 23

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
@Tob, is it set up for the track now? That's serious rubber up front. Do you have a photo of the interior you can post? What is your ultimate plan with the build?
Hey Bob. It is set up for a road course/street. All Maximum Motorsport front and rear.

I currently have 295's up front and 315 rears. I could fit 325's on all fours with the flares I put on it.

The ultimate plan is just a care-free ride that kind of raises the middle finger to the EPA and/or anyone that fits in the Biden demographic. A road warrior, if you will.

Interior is barren as I wasn't going to address it until the body is done. Mechanically, it is essentially all new hardware, turn key and ready to go. It is just body and interior I have to focus on.

IMG_6126-4K.jpg

IMG_6202-5K.jpg

andymarkv

Established Member
I now have mom's 09 GM (she can't drive anymore). Was thinking low boost turbo. Maybe even an "87" tune for it.
If you go turbo, Marty at Mo's Speed Shop knows Panther tuning if you don't move to a stand alone system.

I was surprised simple mods to my buddies '07 Town car; P71 front swaybar, factory 21mm rear bar, home ported upper plenum & P71 intake(that requires a tune) actually feels pretty good! Most of the parts we got from the junkyard.

Users who are viewing this thread