Anyone deep frying your turkey this year?

Marc

Established Member
Just buy the outside kit for $50 in any walmart. Before you fill the pot up with oil and try to "guess" how much oil to use, here is a little trick. Take the bird after you unwrap it and drop it in the pot. Fill the pot with water until the bird is submerged. Pull the bird out. How much water is left in the pot is generally how much oil you will need. I usually mark the side of the pan with a pencil so when I go to fill it with oil, I know how much oil to use. Generally, I will fill it just below the mark to be safe. You can always add more oil later.

I normally heat up to 375 degrees, and cook the bird 3.5 minutes per pound. Also, if you inject it with spices, butter, and garlic, it will come out great. Do this after it defrosts and 24 hours prior to cooking.

Lower the bird slowly into the oil. And make sure the damn thing is defrosted. Don't do it on a wooden deck or close to the house. I normally put cardboard on the floor/surface just in case you do have a little overflow or it oil pops out.

Use peanut oil. After your done cooking the bird, you can strain the oil and reuse it for other cooking purposes.

Last edited:

Hrbdizzle

Freight Train
Established Member
Best and safest advice I've learned for outdoor, is do not heat the oil above 240 and set the bird in. When oil is that low of a temp it won't bubble and splash over, then after the bird is in the pot, turn the heat up to 375. Heating it up gradually also increases juiciness. Have a good thermometer. Do not let the oil get over 380. Oil can flash at approaching 400.

SWAMPMODULAR

FAIRWARNING
Established Member
I have done the fried one a crap laod of times but I might smoke one this time, and start it real frickin early in the AM. I smoked a 12lbs fresh ham last year.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I was going to this year, but I'm gonna be out of the country over Thanksgiving.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I have never been a turkey guy. I just don't like the taste. My dads cousins husband does them, and everyone says they are great. Just look at what you buy as far as injecting it goes, don't get something hot, if you dont like hot. I may try deep frying a ham, just for the hell of it, since HEB has buy a turkey get a ham free. I usually just smoke a brisket for me.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
there is a place in nova that sells BBQ fried turkeys and you can pick it up thanksgiving morning theyre the best I have had

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
inject with franks red hot + butter on one side and pear cider beer on the other side...

or italian dressing on one side and white wine on the other...

sooooooo good.

Scotty07

Loser
Established Member
I have had the deep fried turkey many times over the years. It has always been delish. However, we will be going the oven route again this year. If done right, the oven ones are delish, too.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Doesn't that take away a bunch of flavor? Or is it not like when you boil chicken?

I was wondering that as well.

I know someone who boils her ground beef to save calories...talk about blah tasting. Ick.

Users who are viewing this thread