Anyone datalogged IAT temps on aftermarket HE's?

SmithAtlanta

Established Member
I just installed a KB on my GT and I've been reading about some of the aftermarket Heat Exchangers here(primarily the Gords and the LFP). My question is has anyone done any datalogging or analysis to see how much cooler they are than the stock HE. Right now in Atlanta, GA, in 90 degree heat and 60% humidity, I see anywhere from 158-170 degrees on my IAT sensor when in heavy traffic and from 145 - 158 on the highway when no one is in front of me. Has anyone in the Southeast done any datalogging to know how much of an improvement theses aftermarket HE's make? For the time being, I'm going to run water wetter to see if that improves the temperatures at all. If I could keep the temperature down around 140-150 degree range in heavy traffic then I would consider getting one.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Is yours an intercooled KB? Do you have an Air Temp sensor after the blower?

IAT2 (after the intercooler) on my 2.80 Apten ported Eaton is below 150 (high 130's) w/ Gords HE and dual SPAL 6.5" fans in 95+ temps. If you have a KB w/o any intercooler, then the Garret IC and a Gords HE with Fans will make a HUGE difference.

SmithAtlanta

Established Member
Originally posted by Jerryk
Is yours an intercooled KB? Do you have an Air Temp sensor after the blower?

IAT2 (after the intercooler) on my 2.80 Apten ported Eaton is below 150 (high 130's) w/ Gords HE and dual SPAL 6.5" fans in 95+ temps. If you have a KB w/o any intercooler, then the Garret IC and a Gords HE with Fans will make a HUGE difference.

Yes, It's an intercooled KB. I made the jump from a vortech to the KB. The sensor is located on the intake just a little closer to the firewall than the water temperature sensor. I don't know if that is before or after the intercooler. My guess is that it is after the intercooler. I have the current heat exchanger supplied by KB but it's fairly thin and after viewing the temperatures, I would like something that cools better.

I wonder how much of a difference just having the fans would do?

Users who are viewing this thread