Anyone considering a transmission rebuild

BenD

Established Member
Should take a look at the the T 56 ungrade kit offered by <Gforcetransmissions.com>. Advertized to handle up to 900 HP.

If and when I have a problem that sounds like the way to go. Their price for the upgrade kit is $2195. That's probably not out of line for the quality of the product.

Ben

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
My transmission has been acting up, and I am currently weighing any options should the need arise. There is a shop around me that will tear it down, and rebuild it should anything go wrong, and they will do this for only a couple hundred dollars. Basically you get "almost" a whole new transmission. A brand new t-56 costs over 2 grand from ford.

I also looked into getting an auto, but it appears that it will cost close to 6 grand for that, including labor. It would be really nice if I could get an auto so I don't miss any shifts, but then get something like paddle shifters for AutoX, but I'm sure something like that would cost a small fortune.

BenD

Established Member
About the upgrade kit

I think the upgrade kit they offer includes far superior parts then stock, especially cluster gear, synchros and input shaft.

When they advertise up to 900 HP, no way will the stock T56 stand that! Maybe once. If you don't plan extensive high HP mods in the future then it wouldn't be worth it.

Ben

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I'm going with a different trannie altogether. This Tremec BLOWS. I would assume the Viper one is similar.

It's not only that the shift points (which an aftermarket shifter will help somewhat) are goofy, you have to really work at shifting. I'm thinking C6 auto, but I'm not sure they'll handle the torque.

:idea:

I finally figured it out. This trannie reminds me of the ones in the early 80's RX7's. :nonono:

Very very annoying.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Actually, Jay Knott still uses the T-56 in his cobra. He pushes about 720 rwhp/rwtq. I'm sure he is using an upgraded clutch/input shaft, but I don't know if he has any other upgrades to his tranny. I think he's gotten in quite a few passes on his T-56 as well.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
:??:

If the t-56 is used in the top 3 american sports cars of today it can't be that bad..

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
I'm going with a different trannie altogether. This Tremec BLOWS. I would assume the Viper one is similar.

It's not only that the shift points (which an aftermarket shifter will help somewhat) are goofy, you have to really work at shifting. I'm thinking C6 auto, but I'm not sure they'll handle the torque.

:idea:

I finally figured it out. This trannie reminds me of the ones in the early 80's RX7's. :nonono:

Very very annoying.

Have you installed a UPR Quadrant and Firewall adjuster? Do that before you throw the T56 under the bus..

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by Jerryk
Have you installed a UPR Quadrant and Firewall adjuster? Do that before you throw the T56 under the bus..

I may do that, but it may not solve my problem. I don't think it's a clutch problem. You can just feel the resistance in the synchros. You can also feel the clunkiness of the gearmesh. The forks are clunky, too. It's like the old model-T's with the clunky stick and box tran.

I'm looking for a bulletproof trannie with decent tolerances. Not to mention the lack of sloppy input/output shafts and cheap guide sleeves. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread