Anyone considered putting a Cobra R Wing on '03?

Cobra R Wing and Air Dam on '03s?

• Yes! Wing and Dam

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Wing only, I like my bumper

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • MUSTANG ABUSE damn ricers

Votes: 35 62.5%

• Total voters

GreyCobra_03

Lurch
Established Member
Well, as much as I hate wings, I also hate the fact that corvettes and vipers can go faster top end than us. Anyone thought about putting a Cobra R wing on and maybe the R Front Air Dam? How hard would this be, and would it look cool? please post your opinions :burn:

SVTVenom

HOOK'EM HORNS!
Established Member
I'm thinkin not. I've seen an '03 with a Steeda Race Wing on it already and it looks pretty nasty. The Cobra is limited to 155 mph stock, but a chip can take care of that. However, most races don't go up that high so I don't think you'd have to worry about that too much. :eek:

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
The wing is nice but the front bumper is a pain in the ass on speed bumps and driveways!! here is my 01 cobra with it installed

img03.jpg

ZXnVS

Established Member
Wings have a bad rep from all the stupid ricer boyz, as if those little hamsters running on those little wheels are even capable of pushing a Civic to the far side of 100mph... Or maybe they think they're carrying handles for giants. A functional wing is a work of art, and a badge of pride. If you had a Lamborghini Countach would you take the wing off because ignorant people thought it was just for looks?

Unfortunately, it's too much work for me to want to tackle it. My car came with the "cancerous growth" spoiler, so I'd have a bunch of holes to patch, new holes to drill, etc. Not worth it since I don't plan on exceeding 150mph too often.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Of course there will be some who consider it ricer abuse. However, it was a functional item on the R model...I don't see it as being a ricer add-on when it was OEM from Ford at some point. Right? According to the SCCA it's an "allowable update or backdate".

ZXnVS

Established Member
Originally posted by ho779
does it even do anything but add weight?

Yes, hence the whole discussion about "functional" versus "ricer" wings.

A functional wing works just like the wing of an airplane, except the force is directed down to keep the tires planted at high speeds.

AV8R

RiceCooker
Established Member
Originally posted by ZXnVS

A functional wing works just like the wing of an airplane, except the force is directed down to keep the tires planted at high speeds.

Yes its functional compared to the ricers wing, but the question is, how many of you guys will atually go fast enough for the wing to be functional? I take it that most of you guys don't road race the '03. Thats what the wing is for. Its not for downforce during 1/4mile blasts in a straight line or down the highway, it's for downforce when taking high speed corners at a track. If it wasnt' for the fact that I own a Cobra R, the wing would be off.

Last edited:

ho779

Established Member
Originally posted by ZXnVS

I think I was thinking more along the lines of, how functional is it really... I am pretty aware of the difference between the two, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread