Anyone consider putting 2013 GT500 brakes on a Boss 302?

Jroc

Established Member
First I don't own either car,(even though I wish I did, but I'm just poe folks. lol) but I've been thinking that wouldn't a nice upgrade for the Boss 302 be the new GT500's brakes. They are 15" 6 piston Brembro's up front as opposed to the Boss 14" 4 piston Brembro's, and in the back they use 13" rotors(I assume Brembo makes the rear rotors) and I think y'all use 11" rear rotors.(I'm also assuming y'all have the same rear caliper, but IDK?)

Being as y'all are say 200 lbs lighter and better balanced I would think it would be a nice upgrade. I read in the GT500 section that the owners manual actually states that if you track the GT500 to run a race fluid which MT didn't do when testing the car and complaining of brake fade.

Anyway I was just wondering. IDK how much they would be, but I would think Tousley would cut you a pretty good deal on them.

Last edited:

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I've thought about it and was tracking a new set on ebay this past week. After talking to someone who knows a lot more about brakes than me I've decided to pass. There's probably some added cooling benefit to the larger rotors but I'm not sure if the stopping power will be much if any different than the stock Brembos. I think the limiting factor with our cars is the rubber and not the stopping power from the stock Brembos used with race pads.

BUCKET

Established Member
I have been back and forth on the idea myself. Between the 500 set up or two piece rotors and good pads/fluid.

Jroc

Established Member
I've thought about it and was tracking a new set on ebay this past week. After talking to someone who knows a lot more about brakes than me I've decided to pass. There's probably some added cooling benefit to the larger rotors but I'm not sure if the stopping power will be much if any different than the stock Brembos. I think the limiting factor with our cars is the rubber and not the stopping power from the stock Brembos used with race pads.

This one?
2013 Mustang Shelby GT500 Brembo brake calipers/rotors 6 piston svt 15" rotors | eBay

The old GT500 had similar if not the same brakes as the Boss 302's,(14" 4 piston Brembo's front with 11" rotors rear) and from what I'm read the 2013 is suppose to have superior braking than the previous GT500's. :shrug:

5 DOT 0

Established Member
No they were brand new. Those are too much money IMO. There was another set with rotors and they were less than those.

For most of us two piece rotors aren't going to make a difference tracking your car. I just installed DBA 4000 T3 rotors with Pagid RS29/58 pads and APR wheel studs as I get ready for a few Fall track days.

IMG_1638.jpg

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
No they were brand new. Those are too much money IMO. There was another set with rotors and they were less than those.

For most of us two piece rotors aren't' going to make a difference tracking your car. I just installed DBA 4000 T3 rotors with Pagid RS29/58 pads and APR wheel studs as I get ready for a few Fall track days.

IMG_1638.jpg

Nice!

Aren't those Australian made rotors? I know 2 piece rotors are suppose to be a little lighter than a single piece. Do you know how much so? Obviously that would be less unsprung weight, and rotating mass.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Nice!

Aren't those Australian made rotors? I know 2 piece rotors are suppose to be a little lighter than a single piece. Do you know how much so? Obviously that would be less unsprung weight, and rotating mass.
Thanks and yes. No doubt they are lighter but I doubt I could tell the difference and they are a lot more expensive. For example I believe replacement DBA 5000 rings are more expensive than the 4000's I purchased. It's a value/cost/reward decision for me. While there might be a slight cooling advantage over stock blanks with the DBA 4000 rotors I purchased them for a little bling and have no performance improvement expectations.

Rebel302

Established Member
Does anyone know if the calipers will bolt straight up? I've been trying to find the specifics of the caliper with no luck yet. I would rather just the 6 piston calipers and a better 14" rotor

Last edited:

JohnW#88

Established Member
+1 for DBA.

DBA is a great company. THe Joseph brothers run a top notch organization. We raced for them for a number of years and never had a product issue. Used both the 4000s and later 5000s.

They're well worth the extra money. DBA starts with quality metal not an old Soviet tank those Chinese companies buy then melt down.

You get what you pay for...

FWIW.:)

NJSP117

Established Member
+1 for DBA.

DBA is a great company. THe Joseph brothers run a top notch organization. We raced for them for a number of years and never had a product issue. Used both the 4000s and later 5000s.

They're well worth the extra money. DBA starts with quality metal not an old Soviet tank those Chinese companies buy then melt down.

You get what you pay for...

FWIW.:)

Lol on the soviet tank comment!! :lol:

kbroush

Established Member
Also the 15 inch rotors would add extra weight. How much I don't know. The gt500 is also a tank compated to the boss so imo the 14 inch brakes are substantial for us.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
The old GT500 had similar if not the same brakes as the Boss 302's,(14" 4 piston Brembo's front with 11" rotors rear) and from what I'm read the 2013 is suppose to have superior braking than the previous GT500's. :shrug:
A couple of the reviews I've read complained about the 2013 GT500 brakes so I looked up Car and Driver's test results. Plenty of variables here and the GT500 has about 200 lbs on the Boss.

2013 GT 500 70-0=155 feet
2011 GT 500 70-0=151 feet
2013 Boss 302 LS 70-0=150 feet

My point is there is not much difference and doubtful that upgrading would provide a ROI. I still think tires are the limiting factor here.

jdcobra

Established Member
Tousley Ford parts has the 2011-12 brembo kit with lines, pads, rotors, and calipers for $975 which is what I'm upgrading too.

Last edited:

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have the 2013 GT500 front brakes on my supercharged 2012 Boss, couple things...

Brake fade is largely a function of pad compound, stock pads are not really meant for high temps, they are a compromise between noise, cold braking, and performance.

I wanted more brake on my boss, even before i put the blower on. A carbotech XP10 and XP8 rear was pretty well matched for the stock tire, but I could get them hot, and there was little modulation at the limit with the stock tire.

I did the 15" rotors and 6 piston calibers with a XP12 pad and hoosier R6, much better, but still had to use a lot of pedal to stopped. When i was at sebring i was breaking much later than the bosses I was following.

This past weekend at Hallet I stepped up to an XP20 pad, very hard initial bite and still great modulation, good pad wear too.

Carbotech now has a pad that fits the 2013 GT500 caliper very well, specifically made for it.

JohnW#88

Established Member
This past weekend at Hallet I stepped up to an XP20 pad, very hard initial bite and still great modulation, good pad wear too.

Carbotech now has a pad that fits the 2013 GT500 caliper very well, specifically made for it.

^
What he said! ;-)

Thread from the past!

Can't go wrong with a Carbotech/ DBA combination.

Raced for both brands for nearly a decade. You may pay a few extra duckets, but when a WIN or your A$$ is on the line, who's thinking about that extra $20 bucks. I did some crazy stuff in the braking zones knowing the products stopping me were better than the other guy's selection.

As 5 DOT 0 so accurately pointed out, tire selection is the 3rd EQUAL factor in this equation. Bolt on a set of Hoosiers and you're now ready for battle.

Sorry, just had to plug my ol' pals. ;-)

Last edited:

Splatter

Established Member
I was pretty much set with my shopping basket full up on DBA 4000 discs front and rear with good pads and 18x10 SVE wheels. Was just waiting for the shipping quotes! But the GT500 disk brakes are very tempting..I guess with 15in rotors that would pretty much exclude 18in wheels??

BlackMachWon

WTF?
Established Member
^ Here is a cut and paste from their description, and the 18" BBS wheels fit

• Requires Ford Racing wheels M-1007-DC199B, M-1007-SA199, M-1007-DC199LGB, M-1007-SA1995MBor wheel kits M-1007KIT-DC19910LGB, M-1007KIT-DC199B, M-1007KIT-DC199CH, M-1007KIT-DC199LGB, M-1007KIT-SA199, M-1007KIT-SA19910 or equivalent for caliper clearance

• Kit also clears track use only wheels, M-1007-R1895, M-1007-R1810 and M-1007-R1895S 18" Mustang Ford Racing/BBS race wheels

Shelby12369

Established Member
Selling baer Exreme 6 piston solid monoblock caliper drilled slotted rotor stainless steel lines quality part send me message if any interest

racer91m

Established Member
I just put the 2013 Shelby brakes on my car. I also changed tot eh SVTPP wheels, but tey do fit under the standard Boss and the Laguna wheels...

Users who are viewing this thread