Anyone changed there clutch themselves?

blacknlte

Established Member
Like the title says, anyone done it themselves? I looked over the motorcraft workshop book and its saying to drop the motor 3"-4" inches to get the transmission out! Is this true?

Poppacapp

Established Member
Not sure about the 13's but they just changed the clutch on my 12, and all they did was jack up the front of the motor a little so the back would tilt some to remove the tranny.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I did mines when I put in a RXT. I have a 11, and I did not drop the motor. I had enough room even with my AR's on. Just tilted a little from the front.

USV8PWR

Established Member
I did mines when I put in a RXT. I have a 11, and I did not drop the motor. I had enough room even with my AR's on. Just tilted a little from the front.

How does one tilt the front of the motor just a little bit? Did you loosen any motor mounts first? Directions would be appreciated.

Poppacapp

Established Member
How does one tilt the front of the motor just a little bit? Did you loosen any motor mounts first? Directions would be appreciated.

The motor mounts are not solid, they have some give to them, so you can jack up gently on the front end of the motor and it will tilt

I'm not asking about 2007-20012 GT500s I'm asking about the 2013 GT500s.

Unless something major has changed, I would assume not much has changed. Interested in what a 13 owner says too.

Boozshey

Established Member
I would drop it a little. remove the back k-member bolts. Then undo the front k-member bolts enough that they are still holding on by all their threads. Even though some think it's not needed, it will make your life easier. The trans will need to be twisted/rotated to get out and in.

Have fun, I hate these trans. There isn't a lot of room.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member

I love this comment from 13+ owners, assuming that there is a significant mechanical difference between 12 and 13. Same thing happened between the 09 and 10 folks. 99% of the knowledge is going to be the same so lets not dismiss the knowledge that people take the time to give trying to help out.

The 4.6/5.4/5.8 motors are essentially the same technology with relatively minor changes (minor in the technological sense, obviously the mechanicals differ somewhat). This is particularly applicable to this question as the transmission differs only in the gear ratio and the attachment mechanism to the driveshaft, aside from that its physically the same as has been used since 07.

Interestingly, the advice here to tilt the motor is the same technique I used on my old 2003 Cobra. Put a piece of wood (like a 2x4) under the front lip of the oil pan -- not under the rotating assembly - and support it with a floor jack, causing it to tilt back. Unbolt the trans crossmember before you do this, or you will succeed only in breaking stuff. Of course don't forget to open the hood or you may find a nice supercharger shaped dent.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
You should not be afraid to pose these questions in the other GT500 section. Many of those guys have done a lot more to their cars and they are in fact essentially the same mechanically. Some things have evolved over the years. But the older GT500 guys chiming in is very relevant.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I changed mine. IT"S A BITCH! Be prepared to curse and scream when putting transmission back in. My RXT was a little bit thicker than the stock setup and it did not go in quietly. You definitely have to lift the motor up and even loosen k member bolts a bit.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member

Like others have said- it's the same proceeds as the previous GEN.

That being said- it will probably be worth paying a professional to do it

Good luck

dustin88lx

Established Member
I do not have experience with the prior models, but I became very intimate with my 13' Shelby and performed two clutch changes myself.....DROP THE MOTOR!!!! This will save you all kinds of pain, screaming and yelling as Bruce said. Pull the rear carriage bolts out and drop the motor via the front bolts as far as you can and them still holding on, put some kind of jack stand under it to prevent it falling completely out. If you have a cherry picker or something to hold the motor I would pull all the bolts out and drop it out low enough to have plenty of room. We did mine on a two post and used a trans jack on the trans and a support stand on the motor. The stock clutch is much easier to change, while an aftermarket RXT or SPEC is somewhat of a nuisance as its a thicker beefier clutch and that extra 1/2" you had before you will no longer have.

Last edited:

blacknlte

Established Member
I love this comment from 13+ owners, assuming that there is a significant mechanical difference between 12 and 13. Same thing happened between the 09 and 10 folks. 99% of the knowledge is going to be the same so lets not dismiss the knowledge that people take the time to give trying to help out.

The 4.6/5.4/5.8 motors are essentially the same technology with relatively minor changes (minor in the technological sense, obviously the mechanicals differ somewhat). This is particularly applicable to this question as the transmission differs only in the gear ratio and the attachment mechanism to the driveshaft, aside from that its physically the same as has been used since 07.

Interestingly, the advice here to tilt the motor is the same technique I used on my old 2003 Cobra. Put a piece of wood (like a 2x4) under the front lip of the oil pan -- not under the rotating assembly - and support it with a floor jack, causing it to tilt back. Unbolt the trans crossmember before you do this, or you will succeed only in breaking stuff. Of course don't forget to open the hood or you may find a nice supercharger shaped dent.

I do have a 2010 GT500 and changed the clutch in it. Procedure is to loosen motor mounts, till engine back toward fire wall, loosen transmission bolts, pull transmission back and clock to the 3 o'clock position and pull out. From the ford workshop and like stated.

You should not be afraid to pose these questions in the other GT500 section. Many of those guys have done a lot more to their cars and they are in fact essentially the same mechanically. Some things have evolved over the years. But the older GT500 guys chiming in is very relevant.

Understandable, but I went to the area for the car that I'm refereeing to.

I changed mine. IT"S A BITCH! Be prepared to curse and scream when putting transmission back in. My RXT was a little bit thicker than the stock setup and it did not go in quietly. You definitely have to lift the motor up and even loosen k member bolts a bit.

Figured that much, lol thats why I asked

lol. Look You looked at a dealer book right? They are really anal about everything.

Thats the reason I ask, cause the dealership goes by the book and the real world guys that have done it might be able to cut the install time in half.

Like others have said- it's the same proceeds as the previous GEN.

That being said- it will probably be worth paying a professional to do it

Good luck

Asking for someone thats done it that can give some pointer or short cuts

I do not have experience with the prior models, but I became very intimate with my 13' Shelby and performed two clutch changes myself.....DROP THE MOTOR!!!! This will save you all kinds of pain, screaming and yelling as Bruce said. Pull the rear carriage bolts out and drop the motor via the front bolts as far as you can and them still holding on, put some kind of jack stand under it to prevent it falling completely out. If you have a cherry picker or something to hold the motor I would pull all the bolts out and drop it out low enough to have plenty of room. We did mine on a two post and used a trans jack on the trans and a support stand on the motor. The stock clutch is much easier to change, while an aftermarket RXT or SPEC is somewhat of a nuisance as its a thicker beefier clutch and that extra 1/2" you had before you will no longer have.

Thanks Dustin! ^^^^ The exact info I was looking for from someone that has changed the clutch on a 13' I have a lift and several jacks to support. Thank you!

Just to clear things up, I didn't buy this car and not know shit about it or how to work on it. I tend to ask advice before jumping into something. Ive had many mustangs on them and done about 99% of the work on them except the tuning on the newer ones.

Users who are viewing this thread