Anyone catch onto the spinning top EDC craze?

byeofcr

Established Member
Stumbled across it by accident looking at knives (my other passion). So apparently spinning tops, but like cnc'd precision tops capable of spins near 20 minutes long for some, has become a thing. Im new to it, not sure how long its been popular with the everyday carry crowd but ive seen a few pocket dump posts on IG and noticed more and more people carrying tops.
Being a fan of precisely machined things ive been looking around and following some makers when i came across billetspin. The owner rich makes a design, releases it in limited numbers, and then never makes that design again. I missed his other sales so figured id keep an eye on anything upcoming.
Well i guess now im into the spinning top thing because i ordered one this morning. Not just that, woke up at the ass crack of dawn to try to get one of the super rare ones made from Timascus. Sold out in seconds. Last i checked in an hour he had 280k in sales.. On tops. Grown men like myself spending 200+ on a childs toy lol. So i settled on a limited of 1 of 25 twisted damascus outer, tungsten copper inner and stainless stem.
The resale market is even more sick, Ive already seen people make 4 digit offers on the timascus ones i couldnt get.
Fornthose interested, hes selling same model in "standard" materials (stainless, brass, copper) for another 2 weeks
Looking forward to spinning this thing and launching it onto my floor.
46B8D36E-A3EA-442D-87EA-C33055252BD3.jpg

List of the others
Bottom three is what everyone was after
0250A7C5-9AA7-423B-9D0F-89DEFF4F3727.jpg

Standards
A2A031A4-FFC6-4A90-B04C-817B540C4873.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

byeofcr

Established Member
^^ lol exactly. My wife was like "ok leo...get your toy"

Another view of the k2 or kraken 2
A3F3939A-453F-4A0A-8262-940238327B4C.jpg

Supposedly a decent spinner but more of a looker..

byeofcr

Established Member
Its ok. I wont mind when i flip it for double or more than what i paid.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Does it spin for 10-15 minutes when hand spun?

Or does it come with a fancy pull start?

Neat-ish I suppose.

If you like playing with a toy for 8 seconds and waiting 15 minutes for it to stop.

byeofcr

Established Member
I probably wont spin it at all. Just look at it then flip it down the road. Like i said people who want them and collect pay good money for em. Its like a cult following lol.

This probably 8-11 minutes by hand? He just sold one a few months ago for like 120.. Those Are reselling for 200-300. called the infinity that people have broken 20 minutes on. When i first heard about it i was like most of you just why? But watched a few youtube videos and some guy who felt the same way just kinda equated it to a mindless activity but strangely addicting and relaxing lol i may buy one to keep and spin we ll see. I have toddlers i can only imagine the chaos that would ensue if i had one that i actually spun

colin450

Established Member
Why would you ever keep one of those in your pocket every day?

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
I probably wont spin it at all. Just look at it then flip it down the road. Like i said people who want them and collect pay good money for em. Its like a cult following lol.

This probably 8-11 minutes by hand? He just sold one a few months ago for like 120.. Those Are reselling for 200-300. called the infinity that people have broken 20 minutes on. When i first heard about it i was like most of you just why? But watched a few youtube videos and some guy who felt the same way just kinda equated it to a mindless activity but strangely addicting and relaxing lol i may buy one to keep and spin we ll see. I have toddlers i can only imagine the chaos that would ensue if i had one that i actually spun

Well if you're actually in Vegas I might have to come by and check these things out.

byeofcr

Established Member
Why would you ever keep one of those in your pocket every day?

I wouldnt or wont be, but from what i seen alot of guys do bring them to work and spin them on their desks or whatever.

I am in vegas.. Im usually at c&c on eastern on saturdays

Pup

Established Member
Man, you can sell anybody anything. It's time for me to get to work.

Still cool though, OP.

Last edited:

byeofcr

Established Member
Thanks i mean i can appreciate the effort and quality of the materials and build. Im hoping its not my next addiction but you all have a point. It just takes one good idea and you get over 300k in crowd funding. Come on brain think of something!

smitty2919

Established Member
The shit people spend money on....WTF do you do with this? Watch it spin and fall over....cool.

It's one thing to see how long you can get a cheap plastic one to spin for (30 sec at a time??)...but having these that can spin for 15min? So you literally sit there for 15min and watch this spin? Good lord.

byeofcr

Established Member
The shit people spend money on....WTF do you do with this? Watch it spin and fall over....cool.

It's one thing to see how long you can get a cheap plastic one to spin for (30 sec at a time??)...but having these that can spin for 15min? So you literally sit there for 15min and watch this spin? Good lord.

15 minutes is for rookies! 27 minutes and record it with a dope ass sound track so other people can watch it spin for that long!
http://youtu.be/zYRjLw8l-KQ

Lets not forget the $100 concave glass spin station! Lol

Users who are viewing this thread