anybody work in the HVAC trade?

MattHendrickson

SVTP Junkie
Established Member
i'm going to be going into an HVAC apprenticeship up here in seattle in a few days, it pays decent..just curious if anyone on this site works in the field and what do you think about it? :read:

Lightningfr

Banned
i mainly work with low pressure chillers... 6psia low 14psia high side
there pretty cool

but thats only one part of our job

chiller are cake walk to some of the stuff we maintain

Last edited:

BiLL1024

Established Member
32 years. It is a ok way to make a living. Gets harder as you get older.
You may have to work way up high, afraid of heights?
Hope you like to work outdoors in all kinds of weather.
Hot in the summer and freezing in the winter. (here in NY)
It sure is hard on the back and knees. Attics, crawl spaces, ladder work.
When your up on the rooftop units put a hat and sunblock on.
Remember lift with your legs not your back!!
I am in service, used to install years ago.
I work on mostly commercial (90%. ) Mostly rooftop units, some med sized chillers, 25-100 ton or so. Walk in coolers & freezers. Few large boilers.

If I have it to do over, I would get a degree in computers, or pharmaceuticals (85k to start).
Or go into the telecommunications, make more $$$ and take it easier on my body.
Good luck.

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
Been doing it for 3 years now since I got out of the Marines. 99% Commerical/Industrial 10-100ton rooftops, boilers, chillers, installs, service, and Im the welder for the company as well. My body is always sore, burnt out, tired, and down right miserable at some times. Im waiting to get onto a local PD ASAP.

Last edited:

TEGEN

Established Member
Bill pertty much said it all.

I'm a sleazy salesman for a residential & light commercial HVAC company.
It takes a special personality to be a good at this trade. You have to be tough enough to handle the working conditions, but personable enough to gain your customers trust & confidence.

You will constantly be learning throughout your entire career, and you can work almost anywhere in the country that you want to.

There are many opportunities in this field too. You will have to put in quite a bit of time, but if you show your company that you are trustworthy and a hard worker you could become a foreman, commercial or residental estimator, project manager, fabricator ect.

Good luck, and there should be alot of opportunity in Seattle. :beer:

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Been doing it for 3 years now since I got out of the Marines. 99% Commerical/Industrial 10-100ton rooftops, boilers, chillers, installs, service, and Im the welder for the company as well. My body is always sore, burnt out, tired, and down right miserable at some times. Im waiting to get onto a local PD ASAP.
I agree with the sore, burnt out, tired part.
Try being in Montreal and standing on a roof in -30F weather for 8 hors replacing a heat exchanger.
Is there a lot of work in Northern Jersey?
I have a friend who's looking to start an HVAC company in the area.
What are the hourly rates out there for small commercial or industrial?

WVFord

Established Member
I am a retired union sheet metal worker, from 1967-2001. As with any job there are good and bad days. I did like most of the work.

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
I agree with the sore, burnt out, tired part.
Try being in Montreal and standing on a roof in -30F weather for 8 hors replacing a heat exchanger.
Is there a lot of work in Northern Jersey?
I have a friend who's looking to start an HVAC company in the area.
What are the hourly rates out there for small commercial or industrial?

No thanks on the -30...I would have told them the needed a new unit.

New Jersey the EVER growing state always has work. My company is fortunate enough to have some great clients and constant work. We manage all the PC richards(50 stores), over a dozen Park Ave car dealerships and 20 more or so corporate buildings and hospitals.I dont know what the hourly rates are for the industry, as this is the only company I have worked for, and Im one of two employees, not counting the father and son. I did 60k this past year as single 25 yr old, and thats with no overtime and a few prevailing scale(union) jobs. August will be my three years with them, they have supplied me with my own van, and I somehow manage all of the service related calls. Since I am friends with the son prior to working with them, and his father is past due for retirement(65), I have been verbally offered an opportunity to buy in and be partners in the next 5 years. Some of our larger jobs this past year were from 650K to 1.5 mil. Were more of a mechanical contractor based company tho, this week I have been installing a Kohler propane generator at Park Ave Lexus. Im not complaining one bit, but its physically exhausting almost to the point of when working 8 hours seems like 12 hrs.

Last edited:

MattHendrickson

SVTP Junkie
Established Member
thanks for the input guys! i'm looking forward to getting started. a little hard work never bothered me..my MOS in the service was infantry so i've done a little hard work lol. TT91was it harder on your body than the military was?

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
thanks for the input guys! i'm looking forward to getting started. a little hard work never bothered me..my MOS in the service was infantry so i've done a little hard work lol. TT91was it harder on your body than the military was?

I was specifically not a grunt because my family members told me about the toll it would take on my body as I got older. But its not that bad, I just seem to do a little bit of everything, so I always get stuck crawling here, hanging from there, lifting this...Youll be fine, I just happen to be the "muscles" of the operation.

BiLL1024

Established Member
I have had 3 knee and 1 back surgery, But thats just me. Back, knees and shoulders, get hurt a lot doing this. I don,t know too many old timers in this field that still stand up straight.
Just be real careful lifting motors and compressors. I have had to carry 5 ton compressors up a ladder. (140lbs or so) Good times!!
Electric is a very big part of the service end if this field, 480 volts can light you up real good!!!
Please be careful, work with your head, not your back.
My son just go into the electrical union, that would be a good way to go if you want to work with your hands.
Good luck again.

Evoluvin

Established Member
i just started an apprenticeship as an electrician 100% commercial, it really just isnt that bad you just have to make sure you dont fry yourself, but i was also looking into telecommunications and IT work just for back up

MattHendrickson

SVTP Junkie
Established Member
i just started an apprenticeship as an electrician 100% commercial, it really just isnt that bad you just have to make sure you dont fry yourself, but i was also looking into telecommunications and IT work just for back up

i thought about that too but the union list is just too f'ing long.

Users who are viewing this thread