Anybody widen their 9" Brembos?

svt4me2

Back in the saddle again
Established Member
Just picked up my '11 GT with Brembos. I really like the look of the wheel but would like to go to a 10" in the rear to get the staggered look. Anybody do this to there car yet? Worth it? How much was it?
Thanks for any input regarding this.
Scott

Jonberlin

Established Member
I didn't widen my brembo rims, still have the staggered look. I have 255/40-19 in the front and 285/35-19 out back...

Jonny

svt4me2

Back in the saddle again
Established Member
I didn't widen my brembo rims, still have the staggered look. I have 255/40-19 in the front and 285/35-19 out back...

Jonny

Jonny, do you have pictures you could post? That sounds like a way cheaper option. Any problems with clearance?

Thanks, Scott

Ford-4-me

Established Member
Just picked up my '11 GT with Brembos. I really like the look of the wheel but would like to go to a 10" in the rear to get the staggered look. Anybody do this to there car yet? Worth it? How much was it?
Thanks for any input regarding this.
Scott

HPP here in Texas said they have a wheel guy that will do it for $200.00 per wheel. I may go this route.

Last edited:

Jonberlin

Established Member
Sorry no pictures, car is still in hibernation.... Lol quite a few guys are running 285s on the stock brembo rims out back, if not too low you shouldn't have issues with rubbing and the sidewall doesn't look bad at all. Ideal rim width for 285 is 9.5-10.5. It looks awesome in my opinion. You should be able to google your picture.... Like I said there is a lot of guys running bigger than the factory 255s on the brembo rims.

Jonny

MRGTX

Established Member
Congrats on your new ride, Svt4me2!

My BBP wheels are also still stock... but my only suggestion would be that these wheels are already pretty damn heavy. Adding more material/welding to them isn't going to help. At $200/wheel, you have some options for buying some new rollers that might do the trick and save some performance.

For example, the 2010 GT500 18"x9.5 cast (convertible) wheels are CHEAP (relatively speaking) and they fit over the Brembo brakes. You may or may not like the looks as much (I think they're pretty great looking) but they'll definitely open up tire choices.

Just my $.02.... keep us posted on which route you go!

hand-filer

Established Member
OP, Totally agree on the Brembo's being a great looking wheel. Widening them 1" will add add 3 - 3 1/2 pounds and 1 1/2" would come in at 4 - 4 1/2 pounds
I agree with Jonberlin, just go 285/35-19 and all will be good.

Lava5.0

Established Member
Jonny, do you have pictures you could post? That sounds like a way cheaper option. Any problems with clearance?

Thanks, Scott

I'm currently in the middle of a wheel swap to go 10" wide in the back. Clearance should not be an issue in general as from what I understand you can run 11's in the back without clearance issues. In fact, the guy I am buying my wheels from is going 11 in the rear.

There have been numerous guys in the autocross world who ran 285's on their 9" Brembo wheel without any issue. 285 seems to be the consensus on wider tires though I did have one guy brag that he managed to get a 315 on the stock brembo rim. To be honest, he also said he didn't like the set-up.

PIKE5.0

Established Member
I've given this some thought.. bc 285's aren't enough for me. But I don't want to drop 4k on new wheels/tires. And I'm not putting cheap wheels on it.

I still may look into it, as I like the look of the brembos. Tough decision

slick3

Established Member
I've given this some thought.. bc 285's aren't enough for me. But I don't want to drop 4k on new wheels/tires. And I'm not putting cheap wheels on it.

I still may look into it, as I like the look of the brembos. Tough decision

Resurrected! I LOVE the factory wheels in all honesty, besides the F14 nothing has really caught my eye yet. I got quoted 190 bucks a wheel to widen the factory wheels. I was only looking at doing the back but tbh the weight of these wheels is already on the upper limit pushing nearly 32 lbs in stock trim and then adding another 2-3 lbs widened at a inch
I just dont see it as a reasonable/justifiable solution. Still looking for THAT wheel....

20lbbooster

Established Member
I'm in the same boat with wanting to widen the Brembo wheels. Although weight is a concern, it's secondary to having the ability to run a 305/35/19 Mickey Thompson drag radial. There are very few drag radial options in 19". For the strip I'll run 15x10" welds but on the street I'd like to be able to hook up. My car will be sporting a Paxton in the next month or so and street tires don't get it done.

Users who are viewing this thread