anybody suffer from insomnia?

nxhappy

Established Member
what's up gents. I am hoping you guys can make some suggestions. it seems like as I have gotten older, I have been sleeping less and less. Typically I try to get in bed by 10pm and wake up at 7. But the quality of sleep just sucks. No rem sleep at all. I just toss and turn all night. I really don't want to take medication and wake up more groggy and more tired. Is there "natural pill" that would aide in sleep and not have negative side effects? Thanks for any advice :)

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
That sucks. I can't imagine dealing with that every night. I haven't slept very well the last couple of nights though. That usually happens to me about once in a couple of months. I think Melatonin is supposed to help with insomnia.
Not sure if you saw this page,...but it looks pretty helpful.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/9155.php

Good luck!

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
what's up gents. I am hoping you guys can make some suggestions. it seems like as I have gotten older, I have been sleeping less and less. Typically I try to get in bed by 10pm and wake up at 7. But the quality of sleep just sucks. No rem sleep at all. I just toss and turn all night. I really don't want to take medication and wake up more groggy and more tired. Is there "natural pill" that would aide in sleep and not have negative side effects? Thanks for any advice :)

I only get about 3 or 4 hours of sleep for many years. I think the pill you need is Beer.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Instead of masking the problem, check with your doctor IMHO.

Do you have an exercise regiment?
Do you have a good diet?
Thoughts race through your mind when you lay in bed?
Any times when you do sleep good?
Do you drink a lot of pop, energy drinks, or coffee during the day?
Do you snore?

Excercising has helped me.

MG0h3

Established Member
list of things you can try in order of weaker to stronger:
ZMA--its actually a bodybuilding thing but it works
Melatonin--start with 3mg--more for long term sleep
benadryl--25mg--knocks you out quick if you have trouble falling asleep

take any of them 30 min before laying down.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
What works well yet bad at the same time for me are the liquid cough medicines (which cause marked drowsiness) and allergy OTC benedryl. All of these make me drowsy but then cause RLS to the point where I either stand on my toes to relieve the feeling or start kicking things or causing some sort of pain to my lower limbs in the hopes of ending the RLS.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ive taken half before.

Try that ZMA or melatonin. Only thing that has given me the rls is benadryl.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Yep, tried melatonin, didn't help much. Suffered way too long working off 3-4 hours on a good night. Used Ambien to get on a regular pattern and now I naturally knock out at a decent hour.

On a month supply, I might use 3 pills tops.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
see a doctor. the longer it goes the worse it gets. You will become depressed, then your body will release chemicals that make things worse and it has a snowball effect

nxhappy

Established Member
does anybody take valerian? I heard it's a good natural remedy ?

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
see a doctor. the longer it goes the worse it gets. You will become depressed, then your body will release chemicals that make things worse and it has a snowball effect

This....

Do you have a lot of stress? So you not exercise at all? I'd say those are the main things that cause sleep problems for most people.

mdever12

Established Member
Yea, have had it for 4-5 years. Don't fall asleep till 2-3ish usually, in bed by 12 and wake up at 6:40.

Work out everyday, eat healthy as well. A lot of stress but it is what it is. I'll take nyquil ZZZ sometimes, but at this point I've gotten use to it. Definitely helps that I'm young.

Blown 89

Established Member
See your doctor. Also, make sure you have good sleep hygiene It's all about regularity and routine. I've struggled with insomnia and nailing down my sleep hygiene has really helped. The third shift thread a few weeks ago is a good example of how poor people's sleep hygiene is. Google it if you don't know what it is. In a nutshell it's a list of good habits to have to ensure good sleep.

wckdvnm

Established Member
I know I'm a youngin' by most standards (22) (okay all standards) but I've had it since I was maybe 13-14 right after my mother passed away. Maybe about a month ago my father had me try CBD oil (marijuana derivative) and I wasn't as stressed, depressed, and the anxiety was gone. I don't smoke weed nor do I even want to but I tried it because my dad who's 58 years old said it helped him.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CGLhawk260

Established Member
AGE 47, I only sleep 4-5 hours during the week and maybe 3-4 hours on the weekends. Sometimes low food intake and a lot of exercise will make you sleep less. Alcohol on the weekends disrupts my normal sleep pattern.
The more i exercise the less i sleep. For example, run 8 miles in the morning and weight lift at night combined with a lean diet. Every once in a while i'll treat myself to a good nights sleep, i'll take OTC sleep aid. It works great.

Some people are sleepers and some aren't. My wife is an expert sleeper.

Remember you'll have plenty of time to sleep when you are dead.

spectreman

Established Member
I've been a crappy sleeper all my life so yeah, I know what you're saying. The other gents have made some good recommendations. Your lack of sleep is probably more a symptom of other issues. I'd suggest you meet w/ your doctor, reduce stress, add an exercise routine, cut back on caffeinated beverages at least 8 hrs before sleep

For over the counter sleep aids, I use a product from Schiff called knockout. At times I will combine this with a half tab of diphenhydramine, not a full 25mg tab, as that leaves me too drowsy.

I've been recovering from shoulder surgery for 2+ weeks so my sleep has been seriously screwed since. They gave me ambien for sleep and let me tell you, that stuff gave me the weirdest, most vivid whacked out dreams and hallucinations I've ever had. I'll never use that again.
Lee

CV355

_
Established Member
If you want an extremely deep sleep and prefer to stay all-natural, try Valerian. I have it in tea and pill form. Take it about 1hr before you want to sleep and it'll knock you out. You can pick it up at any GNC/Vitamin Shop. You will have the strangest, most vivid dreams ever. The tea itself smells absolutely terrible, but tastes Earthy- mix in some honey and it's actually pretty nice.

Another one that helps me sleep is kava tea. It also comes in pill form.

I went about 7 or 8 years only getting a max of 3hrs of sleep per night. One relatively strong Valerian team puts me out for 8hrs. Make sure to drink lots of water with it so you don't dehydrate and wake up with a nasty headache.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread