Anybody snapped a bolt from DSS driveshaft adapter?

Slowb00st

Established Member
Anybody snapped a bolt from the DSS driveshaft adapter? I triple chequed that the torque is 57 ft-lbs and read a thread that a guy torqued to stock spec 41 ft-lbs and had vibrations.

One of them snapped at the head joint and another I felt stretch.

Who is the best rep to contact at American Muscle, or should I just send them an email?

JDos1

Established Member
Sounds like your torque wrench is badly out of cal unless they've cheapened up and started giving crap hardware.

Slowb00st

Established Member
Sounds like your torque wrench is badly out of cal unless they've cheapened up and started giving crap hardware.

Looked into it more as I went to buy new bolts and puller to remove the flange (spent about $50, that I should have not needed to) they included for the short bolts 10.9 grade they should be 12.9 and that is what I bought. The long bolts were correct at 12.9, those will hold the 57 ft-lbs as the 10.9 at M10 are only supposed to be around 40 - 43 ft-lbs and would snap at about 52 - 53 ft-lbs clearly less than the 57 ft-lbs that the instructions call for.

I recommend AM to verify their stock of DSS driveshaft and swap out those bolt or revise the instructions as stock they take 41 ft-lbs.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Yes, YES, I have! I ended up going to Tacoma Screw near my home and getting similar size bolts, same head and all, but grade 12.9. I actually ran into issues with AM over the deal as for some reason, the person on the other end of the phone argued with me that the DSS didn't come with a bolt kit o_O.

evanjp

Established Member
Off topic but my DSS driveshaft is a noisy piece of shit. It makes these metallic clicking noises when taking off from a stop, and literally every time a tiny bit of load is put on or taken off of it.

Zemedici

Established Member
Off topic but my DSS driveshaft is a noisy piece of shit. It makes these metallic clicking noises when taking off from a stop, and literally every time a tiny bit of load is put on or taken off of it.

have you contacted DSS? We had a vibration issue with a couple for our 2015 cars, and turns out it was a bad batch, and DSS sent us replacements - great guys to work with.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
My DSS driveshaft makes no noise at all. Other than the crap adapter bolts, it's been pretty flawless. I have seen other threads in SVTPerformance with others who have experienced issues though, as Zemedici has experienced. I'm just happy mine is working great :)

evanjp

Established Member
I got mine second hand. Prob won't do anything for me. Almost am tempted to find a stock driveshaft near me and install that.

JDos1

Established Member
Mine makes the heavy metallic clicking/grinding noise at low speeds. I haven't narrowed it down to pinion bearing or cv joint in the shaft though. I have a new full differential waiting to go in the car whenever I get around to doing it and will inspect the ds while it's out.

Users who are viewing this thread