Anybody running the Bilstein Suspension Kit?

1998Venom

Established Member
I've decided on Bilstein shocks/struts, yet haven't decided on springs. I was thinking Steeda Comp, however, have discovered that they're simply re-badged Eibachs (as are Saleens). Bilstein does have an entire spring/strut/shock kit, and was wondering whether this would be a better route?

I've seen a few sigs with this kit, and was looking for your feedback. If not the Bilstein springs, which would be better suited for daily driver/street driving, with no intention of running strip/track?

Oh yeah - Steeda wanted to sell me their N-Links, X2 Ball joints, bumpsteer kit - are these absolutely required if I have 3 or 4-way CC plates?

As always - your feedback will play a large part in my final decision. Thanks!

FATAL4.6

Exhaust Driven
Established Member
See the thread about shocks and struts for my opinion on those but as far as springs....I really like the way that H&R Super Sports springs sit and handle. That steeda crap is gonna be worthless and something you won't notice as long as you have a quality set of CC plates like you said.

As far as bang for the buck on mustang suspension goes..... Subframe connectors, upper and lower control arms and a good set of spring's are what you're really gonna feel and be worth while. CHeck out X2cmotorsports.com for a good set of inexpensive upper and lower control arms and just get the cheapest set of subframe connectors and make sure they welded up there good.

All those EXTREME MATRIX braces and all that other crap are just bandaids for the problems that are caused by geometry changed when lowering a car. The proper thing to do would be get a tubular K-member to correct this problem.

That's All I have to say for now

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
I like the H&R's too, however they are too stiff IMO. There was a chart i had seen somewhere that had tensile strength of each brand of spring, but i haven't been able to find it. The H&R's were rated the best, but with that rating it makes them too stiff for people wanting close to stock. My Eibach Pro-Kit was in the middle of the category, however i feel it is still too stiff, at least my wife thinks so (but then again she's pregnant). They handle awesome with the bilstein's and it drives excellent...the feel is rock solid on the road and does not bump you around too much on larger road imperfections/potholes. The car was lowered 1.5" and it sits remarkably well....it's a great looking stance. It's not too aggressive, however gives the car an overall clean look. If you do a search on my name and this subject, you ought to be able to find pics of my car with the bilstein/Pro-Kit combo as i have posted them once or twice.

Best spring out on the market right now i'd say are the H&R springs IMO. Best struts/shocks are the Bilstein's for everyday use and light track use IMO. Either choice you make you can't really go wrong if you choose a quality product.

97whitecobra

Established Member
I have MM C/C plates (quality) and will be getting a Bump Steer Kit do to the bigger tires pulling ALL OVER the road. I would get Maximum Motorsports or Kenny Brown subframes personally.

1998Venom

Established Member
Originally posted by 97whitecobra
I have MM C/C plates (quality) and will be getting a Bump Steer Kit do to the bigger tires pulling ALL OVER the road. I would get Maximum Motorsports or Kenny Brown subframes personally.

97whitecobra - did you have any alignment problems after you had your Tokico and Eibachs installed?

Originally posted by svtguy22
im very happy with my eibach/bilstein combo!

svtguy22 - similar question - any alignment problems? I've been hearing of pulling hard to one side after lowering

Thanks for all of your input!

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
Bilsteins and H&R springs are a great combo. As stated earlier, subframes are a must...regular length are fine as you stated you are not worried about going road racing or autocross. MM and Griggs makes great lower control arms that do not put extra stress on your tq boxes. Tq box damage is common with some cheaper control arms that use urethane in both ends of the arms. I feel the pro-kit w/ yellow Koni's is way too soft on my 94 cobra. I love the revalved Bilsteins and full MM coilover kit on my 93 coupe....very harsh though on the road.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
if your looking for just street driving and no racing oriented...go to napa and buy some shocks and struts. They will work fine and save you a couple hundred.

or just get motorsport factory replacements if they are worn out. If they aren't worn out, just keep the ones you have..

97whitecobra

Established Member
Yeah, no one around me knows how to do an allignment.

But no if you have CC Plates it should allign just fine as long as someone knows what they are doing.

1998Venom

Established Member
Thanks for all of your feedback to date.

In speaking with several of the mustang speedshops here, they've advised Eibach Pro-Kit and Bullitt shocks/struts as a low-cost alternative. I know that you get what you pay for, but the Bilstein shocks are almost 80% more expensive. I know Bilsteins are the best non-adjustable shock/strut, however, are they truly worth the 80% price difference over the Bullitt Tokicos?

Finally, I can get the Steeda Comp springs for less money than the Pro-Kit - is there anything I should be aware prior to making a purchase?

Keep the feedback coming! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread