Anybody know about a 2002 L?

Gonzov17

Established Member
Has anybody heard anything about a 2002 Lightning? I called the SVT people and they said something about that they won't know if they are going to produce one and if they are, it probably won't be out until August of 2002. Does anybody else think that its ridiculous that they don't really have an idea what they are producing?

Then again, if they don't make a 2002, I could probably get a better deal on a 2001, then again maybe not.

PS: first time post on these boards so hello everybody.

2001SVTMAN

Established Member
Well if they aren't producing it, then what the hell was it that was shown on Car & Driver television, or in Motor Trend ?
According to what I read it will be produced and one change I noticed said 385hp.No torque numbers though. Outside it still looked identical to the 2001 even the same rims.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the Forum buddy :)

acerbas

Established Member
The 2002 Lightning is under development, and plans have probably been finalized, but that does not mean it will be produced. SVT projects are funded on a year to year basis, and corporate Ford takes a lot of factors into consideration, including how many unsold 2000 units there are before approving production. And if they do OK production they will not announce it before the 01's are sold because they do not want to jerk the rug out from dealers with unsold inventory. So with all the unsold '01s I am reading about I would be very surprised to read about '02 models any time soon, and in fact they could just skip the model year.

Gonzov17

Established Member
I really hope they do produce one...it's going to take me that long to get a decent down payment for one and I figure that by that time, its going to be a little difficult to find a 2001 much less get one in the color I want and with low mileage.

Thanks for the info.

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
Gonzov17 - Welcome to the board.

If they aren't going to produce the '02 L until August of '02 that would be pretty close to making it an '03. I can't imagine Ford introducing an '02 L at what would be pretty close to the end of the '02 model year.

Users who are viewing this thread