Anybody in here have Diabetes?

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
When did you get it, and how did you know you had it? I know the doctor has to conduct blood test to diagnose it, but where you sick before you went to see the doctor? The doctor wants me to go in so he can take blood. Diabetes is in my family, so I am a little freaked out. He just wants to make sure.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
I know its hereditary... I don't personally have it, but I bet its a great way to watch your diet and stay healthy! The medical industry has taken some huge leaps recently.

Good luck at any rate!

Last edited:

sixt5

Established Member
my brother was diagnosed sunday night with type 2. he is only 13 years old. if you do come out to have it, prepare to do some counting with the carbs in your food, and hope your not afraid of needles. my bro took up nice to the needles part. my dad tried to get my blood sugar and he had to chase me through the house :burnout: i dont like em!

BetterthanU

Banned
My buddy went through that Marine officer training for college kids w/ degrees over the summer one year in Quanaco (sp?) Va....his original screening showed + for the 'betes, but he told the screener that he had almsot a gallon of OJ earlier in the day (he was thirsty...?) My buddy, who was a lil chunky had started to drop weight earlier int he year and figure dit was cuz he was working out..... and the screener told him that the massive amount of OJ was probably why. He completed training successfully, only to find out he had diabetes, and he should have either died or gone blind.....and he was told he couldn't do anything in the Marines, or at least what he was looking at....so it was all a waste anyways :(

98slowbra

Established Member
I know a lot about it, I am type 1 which they say is juvinile(sp) diabetes, only 10% of diabetics out there have type 1, type 1 is where your antibodies kill off your pankreous(sp) and you have to do insulin injections. type 2 is passed down by generation to generation in the family. I was 28 when I was
diagnosed with it. I have had it since 1998. Type 2 your pankreous(sp) produces insulin but does not know when to release it and that is why they have to take pills. Before I was diagnosed with it I weighed 135 lbs at age of 28 had to piss all the time, and was thirsty all day long. Now I weigh 185 and am 35 and I was sick all the time back then but I feel great now and have not been sick for quite sometime. I am on a insulin pump now and my blood sugar levels are running great ever since. I use to be up to 12 shots a insulin a day. If you need anymore info please let me know I will be more than happy to help. Once your blood sugar reachs 300+ your body can not take it and it starts really taking a toll on your insides, kidneys, liver ect. let me know if you need any more info bud.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
First off let me say I hope you dont have Diabetes Mellitus. There are indeed two main types of D.M., type 1 and type 2. As stated above Type 1 is generally referred to as Juvenile D.M. while type 2 is general referred to as Adult Onset D.M. Type 1's are almost always insulin dependent as there is an absolute insulin deficiency. Type 1 is much more difficult to regulate than Type 2. Type 1 D.M. patients are usually thin while Type 2 usually appear overweight/obese.

The typical triad for D.M. is Polyuria(excessive urination), Polydipsia(excessive thirst) and Polyphagia(excessive food intake). This results in hyperglycemia (increased blood sugar levels). Blood work to include Hemoglobin A1C will properly diagnose D.M. But a glucose tolerance test is a good tool to help regulate it.

While D.M. Type 1 is genetic in nature. Type 2 D.M. has many assumed etiologies. Most Type 2 Diabetics can be controlled through diet alone and no insulin is necessary but monitoring your blood will be necessary on a daily basis.

Good Luck

98slowbra

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
First off let me say I hope you dont have Diabetes Mellitus. There are indeed two main types of D.M., type 1 and type 2. As stated above Type 1 is generally referred to as Juvenile D.M. while type 2 is general referred to as Adult Onset D.M. Type 1's are almost always insulin dependent as there is an absolute insulin deficiency. Type 1 is much more difficult to regulate than Type 2. Type 1 D.M. patients are usually thin while Type 2 usually appear overweight/obese.

The typical triad for D.M. is Polyuria(excessive urination), Polydipsia(excessive thirst) and Polyphagia(excessive food intake). This results in hyperglycemia (increased blood sugar levels). Blood work to include Hemoglobin A1C will properly diagnose D.M. But a glucose tolerance test is a good tool to help regulate it.

While D.M. Type 1 is genetic in nature. Type 2 D.M. has many assumed etiologies. Most Type 2 Diabetics can be controlled through diet alone and no insulin is necessary but monitoring your blood will be necessary on a daily basis.

Good Luck

You sure know your stuff about it, I was what they call hypobycemic when I was a kid, which is low blood sugar all the time, and the docs think there is some coalation with hypobycimic and type 1 diabetes, but there is no proven fact yet. A normal person A1C should be around 3-5 which mine was 13 and now it stays around 7 with my insulin pump. Your normal blood sugar should be betweeen 70-120, I think mine was 550 when I first was diagonsed. Any he is correct on the constant urination because they sugars are gonig out through your urine which they refer to as keytones.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
98slowbra said:
You sure know your stuff about it, I was what they call hypobycemic when I was a kid, which is low blood sugar all the time, and the docs think there is some coalation with hypobycimic and type 1 diabetes, but there is no proven fact yet. A normal person A1C should be around 3-5 which mine was 13 and now it stays around 7 with my insulin pump. Your normal blood sugar should be betweeen 70-120, I think mine was 550 when I first was diagonsed. Any he is correct on the constant urination because they sugars are gonig out through your urine which they refer to as keytones.

My father had D.M. type 2 and it was misdiagnosed while I was in med school. He presented with tiredness and muscle pain. They went as far as to do a biopsy for M.D. I was taking endocrinology at the time and recommended fasting B.G and poof it magically appeared.

D.M. is not something to mess with! If left untreated, if can lead to cardiac disease, stroke, blindness, and various other terrible debilitating conditions including death.

50% of all Diabetes are undiagnosed and just living with the signs and symptoms.

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Thanks for your help and concern guys. Alot of good info on here, you guys really know your stuff.

I just went to the doctor, and they drew blood. Nurse said the results should be in tomarrow, so we will see what happens. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks again.

98slowbra

Established Member
Diabetes is very serious, I do not know if this is totally correct from the net but here are some figures on death by the top Diseases.

diabetes takes 73,000 peoples lives in 2005
aids took 15,798 peoples lives in 2005
cancer took around 100,000 each year

they say Diabetes the the 6th largest killer in the US, and the worst funded to find a cure compaired to all the others.

This is not to scare you, this is for if you have it you really need to take care of yourself.

Last edited:

98slowbra

Established Member
I was taking endocrinology at the time and recommended fasting B.G and poof it magically appeared.QUOTE said:
You should have stayed doing Endocrinology we really need some good people out there. When I was doing shots each day my family doc said he has never seen someone with such tight conrtol of there blood sugar levels. Little did he know that I was drinking at least 12 beers a night and over 20 beers a day on weekends(the alcohol lowers your blood sugar). And was doing this for over 5 years. Once I quit drinking(5 years sober now) my sugar levels were all over the place. I went to see a Endocrinoligst to get put on a pump because it was just out of control no matter what I did. He said he would not put me on a pump becuase my sugar levels had to stay between 80-120 for a year before he would do anything. Even in his office my sugar level was down to 35 and he gave me 6 oz of OJ and sent me on my way. Insulin pumps are for people who can not control there sugar level. I finally found someone else and he put me on the pump and my sugars leveled off and has been great ever since. It is amazing how stupid f%ckers like this even keep a job if they are not intrested in helping people in need.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I have Adult Onset DM (Type II). Have had triple bypass, 3 subsequent heart attacks, and a stent. Watch my diet like a hawk, and do the best I can to exercise (mostly left foot and right hand from Cobra). It's no fun -- haven't had a piece of cake or candy in 10 years. Now I'm going blind.

Word to the wise -- diabetes is truly a silent killer. If you SUSPECT you have a problem, see an endocrinologist and get checked out. Once the damage is done, there's little recovery.

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
harry gilbert said:
I have Adult Onset DM (Type II). Have had triple bypass, 3 subsequent heart attacks, and a stent. Watch my diet like a hawk, and do the best I can to exercise (mostly left foot and right hand from Cobra). It's no fun -- haven't had a piece of cake or candy in 10 years. Now I'm going blind.

Word to the wise -- diabetes is truly a silent killer. If you SUSPECT you have a problem, see an endocrinologist and get checked out. Once the damage is done, there's little recovery.

Sorry to hear you have had so much trouble with it. How long have you had it?

RedSunCelica

Established Member
being diagnosed is not the end of the world. it just means youll need to change your life style a little. youll need to exercise more and control what you eat. which doesnt mean carb counting and ultra strict diet it just means less fast food and less deserts or sweets and more exercise.

itll be hard at first but trust me after a while itll be less of a hassell and more of a routine.

i found out i was diabetic the hard way. slipped into a diabetic coma for a few days. when i woke up i saw that my sugar level was in excess of 800. the normal is 90-120. the doctor said i had a very low level of recovery when i first arrived at the hospital.

if you are diabetic i would recommend a boxing gym. the exercises that boxers do as in drills and what not are the best for keeping you sugar levels in a good range.

Last edited:

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
RedSunCelica said:
being diagnosed is not the end of the world. it just means youll need to change your life style a little. youll need to exercise more and control what you eat. which doesnt mean carb counting and ultra strict diet it just means less fast food and less deserts or sweets and more exercise.

itll be hard at first but trust me after a while itll be less of a hassell and more of a routine.

i found out i was diabetic the hard way. slipped into a diabetic coma for a few days. when i woke up i saw that my sugar level was in excess of 800. the normal is 90-120. the doctor said i had a very low level of recovery when i first arrived at the hospital.

if you are diabetic i would recommend a boxing gym. the exercises that boxers do as in drills and what not are the best for keeping you sugar levels in a good range.

I actually box now, so thats a plus.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
URDONE said:
Sorry to hear you have had so much trouble with it. How long have you had it?

Probably 15 years, but it wasn't properly diagnosed until my open heart surgery in 1997.

I know there's a God when my pharmacist told me that taking an alchoholic drink or two would control spikes in blood glucose just as well as medication. It really works! Now if I can only get my medical insurance to pay for the 1.75 liter bottles of Crown Royal Special Reserve at the $2.00 co-pay.....

oldmodman

Established Member
Type 2 here.

Diagnosed in 1996, stabilized with diet, medicine and EXERCISE! All most people with type 2, if caught early, need to do is exercise. As you increase your physical output weight will come off, blood pressure will usually drop, and sugar levels will decline.

After 10 years, 100 pounds is gone for good, cholesterol is at 145, blood sugar at 85 fasting, 115 after a meal, and blood pressure is 72/118. This is at age 53

Left untreated, misdiagnosed, or ignored you will suffer a miserable death.

jimmy77

Established Member
I know a woman who took a product called "EYES RIGHT". It is sold by Carlson labs. This diabetic woman was told by the doctors to go home and go blind...as there was nothing they could do or already done for her. She says it has prevented her sight from getting any worse....and in fact reversed it a tad. I know if I had DM, losing my sight would be my biggest fear....it all natural and dosen't require a prescription.

Users who are viewing this thread