$850
Was wondering what to expect hp wise.
What else is needed?
How much does the install usually cost?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
DO NOT BUY REGRINDS!!

The lobe circle is changed by machining part of the bottom of the lobe down, which causes bad valve angles and travel. Not to mention the lash cap and shim hassles. ALOT of people have broken valve springs with regrinds.

Not sure if HP is offering billets or not. If they are not regrinds that isn't a bad price.

The size of the cam determines some of what has to be changed. Springs being the biggest concern. You have to mate them to the cam. To much seat pressure and you wear the cam out prematurely and lose HP through excessive parasitic drag. Not enough spring and the valves will float and smack the pistons, or break.

Cam size and application will always determine HP increases. Example is, an SC cam in a NA application will not net as good results as the NA cam will usually. Partly due to the duration and centerline.

You'll need head studs, head gaskets,front timing cover gaskets,tuning, refill of fluids, and a few other things. Labor on a 4V will probably be around $1000.00 depending on your area.

Some more specifics, like exact cam and application would help.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
I've heard that the stock cams in our cars are very well suited until you get very high up(700 and up)in the horsepower range...
And have also been told that replacing them is not worth the cost......Just my .02 though.....Good luck.......

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Well its worth it on blown cars-and the mach1 doesn't seem to be doin to bad. I think it depends on what you're tryin to do, Ford Racing has a set of high lift cams out now. With head work cams are probably worth it. But the stock outta the box setup seems to be dandy.

Users who are viewing this thread