Anybody have info on AFRs?

94RedCobra

Established Member
Hi again everybody.

I'm wondering if anybody has info on AFR's 165 and 185 cylinder heads? Advantages vs disadvantages to either. Also, does anybody have any idea on how much work/cost is involved in having the piston notched for the 185s to clear.

Thanks a lot!

P.S. Was crusing in the GTP last night and saw a 93-97 Camaro cruising. Wish I would've had the Cobra to teach him a lesson.:rolling:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I thought the 185 stood for the cc volume of the head? Meaning the 185 cc heads would have more clearance than the 165cc versions. In either case the motor has to be broke down just like you're going to do a rebuild to fly cut the pistons. I'd just go with the heads that allowed for a simple bolt-on, rather than going through the modifying/changing piston route.

I've only heard goor things about the Airflow Reasearch heads. The AFR heads always rate outstanding in every magazine I've read. I can honestly say that I saw how much of a difference they made on a pretty close to stock retired police Stang. Well worth the price in my opinion.

MARK C

Established Member
Horsepower!!

I've got a set of AFR'S coming in the next day or 2! I bought the 165's. No problems with piston to valve at all! The stock GT-40 heads on our Cobra's are pitfull (flow #'s) compaired to the AFR'S! The Gt-40's flow 192 on the intake and 128 on the ex.@ .500 lift. The AFR 165'S with the 190 intake valve's and the 1.60 ex. valves, flow a whopping 250 on the intake and 185 on the exhaust!! as you can see, way BETTER than our stockers! I'm doing a few other add on's when I do the heads, like Extrude hone My stock intake, and a spacer, and a adj. fuel presure reg. also a 190 fuel pump. I should near the 400 HP Mark!! Well into the 12's!!The Cobra should be running saturday...As long as I get everything shipped in time!! I've got some Nitto drag radials already mounted and ready to spin! I'll let you know how it goes.
Hope this helps! I know It will help my Cobra kick ass even better than before!
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread