Anybody getting back fires?

Silver03Termi

Established Member
I posted this over in The Distillery, thought it might have better luck here.

Im getting some pretty good back fires now that I'm running e85. I havent had the car on a lift yet, but I think there is a small exhaust leak in the x-pipe, and the back fire seems to come from under the car. I dont know if this might be caused from an exhaust leak, i.e. the exhaust hasnt had enough time to dissapate heat and the fresh air at the leak is making the back fire. Maybe plugs? Im running Tr6's gapped at .028-.030. 21-22 psi. Car makes good power and the back fires werent happening like this on the dyno. It had a small back fire, nothing like this though. Could this be tuned out with out risking running lean? It happens when I shift 3-4 or when I let off in 4th. Basically on decel at higher rpm under good amount of load. Thanks in advance. All relevant mods in sig.

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
I'm not running e85, and I'm not sure how that might change things, but an exhaust leak between the header and X pipe before the front O2 sensors would cause the sensors to read lean and push more fuel into the cylinders...the unburnt excess fuel in the exhaust (especially when shifting) will ignite and cause the backfire.

If you think you have an exhaust leak, it's a likely cause on a regular tune. I don't have experience with e85, so I'm not sure if the O2s are turned off in the tune for e85 or not.

Users who are viewing this thread