Anybody ever have their Cobra and/or other Mustang sent to England?

speedsun

Established Member
I could be facing orders over in England soon depending on whatever the Air Force wants to do in setting up a new unit. So with that I would hate to leave my 03 behind to sit :(

So I know that they will ship 1 car, but what complications would I face in registering my car and having everything pass their inspections?

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
I would say bring it. Its a pain dealing with inspections anywhere in the world including your DMV in your state. It wasn't so hard here for me. I expected worse. Depends on where your going? I am guessing Lakenheath Mildenhall etc? They love american muscle here expecially mustangs/cobras. There is a site in UK mustangs.

Roads aren't the greatest on the rural areas but the motorways/highways etc are fine usually most are freshly paved in some areas. I got stock ride height and not many problems. You will need a light conversion. I would get it done right and with a reputable shop. I went to AmCar near Bicester. Close to me but about 100 miles from Lakenheath. 3 year warrenty and not holes drilled for side indicators. They fabricate into the mirrors on the side, can't even notice them. They have whats equal to 93 octane though the race fuel isn't easy to come by.

I have 20% tint, bassini x pipe with high flow cats, and borla stingers. I passed. Usually i would have had to take the tint off and failed the DB exhaust test.(if in the States)

OU812

Established Member
I could be facing orders over in England soon depending on whatever the Air Force wants to do in setting up a new unit. So with that I would hate to leave my 03 behind to sit :(

So I know that they will ship 1 car, but what complications would I face in registering my car and having everything pass their inspections?

I took my Mystic to Germany when I PCS'd over there back in 2000, the inspection there was pretty crazy but it passed pretty easy. Just make sure you put the cats back on it if you've taken them off. I take it you might be going to the Osprey unit they've been talking about for a few years now. Those things are cool but I'm not so sure I'd want to fly on them!

speedsun

Established Member
Yes the osprey unit. We already have crew chiefs with orders just waiting on the rest of us to get them.

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
Oh i forgot to mention, in the last two years i have been lucky enough to go on few "runs" or cruises over here with cars like F40, F50, Enzo, Mclaren F1, Maseratis, Aston Martins, R8s, Porsche, and offcourse the arch nemisis the R35 GTRs. Actually half or so people play around, others don't due to them being so cocky. But murdered some blue Maserati few months ago near london on the M25. They are really surprised when you do hit it.

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
Wales trip( some of the best roads i have ever driven "top gear" style) last summer, mix of ferrari, lambo, porches, caterham, lotus, wrxs, I am in front of the yellow car think is a celica who turned up.
Wales20PNH99.jpg

Me, Mclaren F1, and Enzo during a quick run out on some roads.
Piston-Head-run-14811DS29541-L.jpg

five0three

big deal
Established Member
Wales trip( some of the best roads i have ever driven "top gear" style) last summer, mix of ferrari, lambo, porches, caterham, lotus, wrxs, I am in front of the yellow car think is a celica who turned up.
Wales20PNH99.jpg

Me, Mclaren F1, and Enzo during a quick run out on some roads.
Piston-Head-run-14811DS29541-L.jpg

wow thats alot of money right there...

Stanger00

Established Member
If and when you do get an assignment the sponsor should let you know of the inspection process. With SOFA you shouldnt have to add side markers but you will probably have to add the fog light on the rear bumper. Just a guess on my part. I was only stationed at ramstein and had my mustang there with me.

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
You get all the import taxes and etc waved when you import a car with the sofa agreement. But not the light conversion. I think if you buy a new car a year or less out from your DEROS you don't have to convert. I paid 800 pounds (1300$ nearly) for my conversion. Yeah its a lot but no side markers with doubled sided tape, they fabricated LEDs into my side mirrors. Plus a 3 year warranty. Most regular shops do conversions with double sided tape and wires hanging out everywhere, then later they overload or fry the computer. for about 200 to 400 pounds.

I don't want holes or double sided tape on my car. Also front fog lights which you have and rear fog light which mine is LED bar hidden. Plus every MOT(or inspection) shop differs. Mine didn't fail me for tint or tinted tailights. while other people get failed at other shops. It is a headache but worth it when all is said and done. Mustangs expecially cobras get a lot of attention expecially when they put down decent power. I have got offers to buy mine often.

Last edited:

JeremyAlan

Naked SVT Poster
Established Member
Bringing back an old thread to see if anyone else has input? I also have orders and will be headed to England soon. Has anyone modified their car themselves? Such as wiring in 01 cobra tail lights and making their own fender turn signals?

Users who are viewing this thread