Anybody ever have a LDC cooling mod leak?

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Had the car on a lift Thursday to do alt., I got that taken care of so I just decided to take a look around while the car was up. Noticed some DRY fluid tracks coming from above tranny/off the tranny tunnel down and trailed back on the floor on to sub-frame connectors. I had AAA flatbed the car, it was run'n off the battery so I drove the car on and off the truck and into the bay (didn't leak...:shrug:) I hadn't driven the car much this summer (busy) it's needed an alt. since late June so she hasn't been driven. I never noticed a puddle on the garage floor earlier this summer, never saw steam/smell. Had some time today to take her out and ran her hard a few times got home put my hand in that area and it's wet, not pouring out, a few drips on the gargage floor and it ran down in the same area of the car as before when I first saw the dry tracks. LDC cooling mod has about 6,000 miles on it; if not the cooling mod then what?... I put her up for the winter about this time anyway so I guess it's time to pull the tranny and see what's up..... :whine:

keith89

Established Member
I have an evenflow. The coolant mod itself didn't leak, but I had their inline temperature block which somehow did develop a leak.

bigbadwolff66

Established Member
Keith 89:
If you have a leak from our in-line temp adapter, contact us via e-mail with your information. Send it back to us and we will replace it.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
When mine was installed, the mechanic noticed that the hose provided was a little bit short and was rubbing on some bolt heads at the top of the bellhousing, so he used a piece of large hose, split and wrapped around it.

Based on the way the fittings were made (quality work), I doubt they were leaking.

keith89

Established Member
Keith 89:
If you have a leak from our in-line temp adapter, contact us via e-mail with your information. Send it back to us and we will replace it.

will do. It was a slow leak so it took me a while to figure out where it was coming from.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Let her idle (never revved it) for a little over an hour today. Fan works fine, it was cool about 50* outside, temp gauge never went over 179. Kept an eye on her put my hand up there as far as I could reach never felt any coolant. Shut her off, about 2 hours later went for a ride jumped on it a couple of times got home and sure enough she was wet with coolant. Parked on the carport (it's on a slant away from house) checked an hour later and NO puddle running from under the car to the lawn.
I wondering if the screw clamps on the hose have backed themselves off? Screw clamps are known to back themselves off in COLD weather. That's why factory will not use them. spring clamp= constant pressure.
My oil pressure is good, coolant level isn't bad, havn't lost much.
No engine light, she doesn't go into lemp mode.
Leaks, but not a lot and not all the time.
What else is in that area that could leak coolant?.....strange!..........

speeddemon2000

Established Member
I have some leaking from the back of the engine as well. I am assuming it's from the LDC colling mod. I am going to try and drop the trans down by removing the cross member and see if I can tighten up everything.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I have some leaking from the back of the engine as well. I am assuming it's from the LDC colling mod. I am going to try and drop the trans down by removing the cross member and see if I can tighten up everything.
One problem I've seen happens when the freeze plug is removed. You have to make sure the bore is smooth with no marks. It's also easy to booger up the O-Ring when installing the fitting, so be careful.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
One problem I've seen happens when the freeze plug is removed. You have to make sure the bore is smooth with no marks. It's also easy to booger up the O-Ring when installing the fitting, so be careful.

Everything was fine this summer when I installed the engine. Now that it has got real cold it has started having issues.

I was able to access the clamps on the drivers side from the top of the engine. They were def lose. I tightened them up. Hopefully that does the trick.

I wanted to replace the o-rings during my rebuild but Ford doesn't sell them as I remember.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Everything was fine this summer when I installed the engine. Now that it has got real cold it has started having issues.

I was able to access the clamps on the drivers side from the top of the engine. They were def lose. I tightened them up. Hopefully that does the trick.

I wanted to replace the o-rings during my rebuild but Ford doesn't sell them as I remember.

I failed to see if I could access the clamps from the top, that's gotta be a tight fit with your hand and a screw driver!...dang! I hope that's the problem, if so, maybe I can get rid of those screw clamps and go with spring clamps, providing there is room to do the job. I sure don't want to drop the tranny just to replace clamps. Anyway, I won't be working on the Cobra until next spring. She's sitting over at mom's on the carport all wraped-up for the winter. I'm helping a friend out this winter, got his Harley pulled apart for rebuild/paint in my garage so, the Cobra had to go.

Please let me know if your's stops leaking. Thanks, Mark

Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Could it be the coolant line to the heater core??

Could be.....If the clamps are tight and she still leaks I'll have to drop the tranny. That's when we'll find out what's going on for sure.

These heater cores are famous for taking a sh!t. My 01 Bullitt went out at 14,500 miles, no warranty, more than 3 years had passed. I was pissed! or should I say it pissed on the floor! lol!

speeddemon2000

Established Member
I failed to see if I could access the clamps from the top, that's gotta be a tight fit with your hand and a screw driver!...dang! I hope that's the problem, if so, maybe I can get rid of those screw clamps and go with spring clamps, providing there is room to do the job. I sure don't want to drop the tranny just to replace clamps. Anyway, I won't be working on the Cobra until next spring. She's sitting over at mom's on the carport all wraped-up for the winter. I'm helping a friend out this winter, got his Harley pulled apart for rebuild/paint in my garage so, the Cobra had to go.

Please let me know if your's stops leaking. Thanks, Mark

I used a wrench to tighten it up. I was only able to get to it on the drivers side. I am going to throw a bunch of UV die in coolant and see if that will help me track down where it's leaking from. I can clearly see that it is dripping down out of the bell housing.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
I used a wrench to tighten it up. I was only able to get to it on the drivers side. I am going to throw a bunch of UV die in coolant and see if that will help me track down where it's leaking from. I can clearly see that it is dripping down out of the bell housing.

Good idea with the die in the coolant. Let me know what you find out.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Good to hear! I hope things are resolved. Hoping this is my problem too. But, If I have to drop my tranny I decided to kill two birds with one stone. I'll pick-up a SFI rated bell housing and install. Just need to figure out which brand to buy. Any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Good to hear! I hope things are resolved. Hoping this is my problem too. But, If I have to drop my tranny I decided to kill two birds with one stone. I'll pick-up a SFI rated bell housing and install. Just need to figure out which brand to buy. Any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks

I am not going to run one unless I have to so I don't have any experience.

Unless your going to run in the 9s you probably can get away without having one. Just my opinion.

If your worried about saftey have the stock bell housing rhino lined inside and out.

It sounds crazy but I saw this show once where they showed that rhino lining could be used to bomb proof stuff.

They Rhino lined a bed of a truck and blew it up and it had minimal damage compared to the rest of the truck. The truck the blew up without the Rhino lining was toast including the bed.

Just a crazy idea.

I have also heard of guys spray painting the stock bell housing and fooling tech inspectors.

Users who are viewing this thread