Anybody ever had a hit out on them?

notorious p.i.g

Established Member
So long story short, I got into a little altercation with an inmate at the jail the other day. Nothing major, but I sprained my shoulder so I've been out since then resting up. Got bored today so I swung by the office to pick up my w2 and hang out with my Lt, get up to leave after a while and my Sgt just casually mentions "hey you know they got a hit out on you right"?

A hit? Really??
This isn't the first death threat I've got, but it is the first one that I actually believe. The guy is hooked up with one of the gangs around here that are responsible for the majority of our shootings.

I don't wanna sound like a little girl, but I really don't know how I feel about this one. I have kind of been wanting to quit anyway due to our shifts and a good bit of my co workers being about one step below this guy on the thug level. Not to mention my heart really isn't in it, law enforcement just isn't what it used to be. Plus I just got married and have a baby on the way, so I really think I just want a "normal" job again.

Am I being too paranoid here or should I take this as a sign to stop trying to make myself stay and get out like I've been thinking about?

BDFabrizio

Registered Abuser
Established Member
Have you considered moving to a different department? I have no desire to ever work in Macon. I'd think that Warner Robins, Perry, or any of the towns south of you would be a better working environment.

DevilDog81

Can't fix stupid!!!
Established Member
Sad to hear, this job is nuts. People bitch about getting stop for acting like punks but at the end of the day, your family is the one that suffers. In reference to the hit, if we were in Mexico or Colombia, I would be concerned but dirt bags in America have big mouths since our Constitution protects them. Feel better and good luck.

:beer:

notorious p.i.g

Established Member
Sad to hear, this job is nuts. People bitch about getting stop for acting like punks but at the end of the day, your family is the one that suffers. In reference to the hit, if we were in Mexico or Colombia, I would be concerned but dirt bags in America have big mouths since our Constitution protects them. Feel better and good luck.

:beer:

Thanks! I agree that most of these idiots are just mouth, but just knowing what I know about these few I just kinda feel like I should take this one seriously.

Have you considered moving to a different department? I have no desire to ever work in Macon. I'd think that Warner Robins, Perry, or any of the towns south of you would be a better working environment.

I did consider moving, but really I think I just want to get out and go back to something normal. I have absolutely no desire to do this anymore. I'm sure it would be better for a little while somewhere else but honestly I'm tired of having to deal with the type of people we have around here on top of the schedule, etc.

I did consider wrpd because my dad is a Lt out there, but I came to bso since it's closer to my house and I grew up in bibb co. I really would like to move, this whole area is just a shit hole now and it keeps getting worse.

oldmodman

Established Member
The threats that you have to actually worry about are the ones that are not publicized. A big mouth usually creates very little action.

notorious p.i.g

Established Member
The threats that you have to actually worry about are the ones that are not publicized. A big mouth usually creates very little action.

You're right. My Sgt told me he heard it from one of his little informants, as far as I know the ones that supposedly have it out haven't said anything. I guess I'm just being paranoid, either that or I'm sub consciously pissed that I'm only worth $500 to them!

I go back to work today, I guess we'll see!

Last edited:

randys14

Established Member
I drove through Macon a few weeks ago going to Douglas, GA to pick up a trailer we ordered from Lark. On my way back through there was a convoy of about 15-20 donks with 26"+ wheels and they were all hanging out the windows and yelling shit. I was on I-75 doing 65-70mph and thought I was about to get shot.

jshen

Established Member
Supervisors

I never called them "superior officers" because I never saw anything superior about them. Having got that chip off my shoulder, that person who told you that should have already notified your investigative unit or GBI. I was good friends and once worked with -now deceased D. Brown- the officer who was elected sheriff in DeKalb County. He was "hit" 15 times in front of his house...I didn't trust anyone, even other officers, as I have seen quite a few get prosecuted and sent off. When I became a lawyer and prosecutor, I sent more than one through the grand jury and to hear police officers on wire intercepts conversing and conspiring with drug dealers gave me chills...I even heard one of our drug agents doing that...

What is your life worth- maybe nothing to your supervisors and folk you work with and certainly not to the thugs...I would have it investigated. If your dept doesn't want to do it- see your district attorney as they have investigators and they have authority to call in GBI. Ken Hodges used to be up there and I can tell you were he still there he would want to know of this.

notorious p.i.g

Established Member
I never called them "superior officers" because I never saw anything superior about them. Having got that chip off my shoulder, that person who told you that should have already notified your investigative unit or GBI. I was good friends and once worked with -now deceased D. Brown- the officer who was elected sheriff in DeKalb County. He was "hit" 15 times in front of his house...I didn't trust anyone, even other officers, as I have seen quite a few get prosecuted and sent off. When I became a lawyer and prosecutor, I sent more than one through the grand jury and to hear police officers on wire intercepts conversing and conspiring with drug dealers gave me chills...I even heard one of our drug agents doing that...

What is your life worth- maybe nothing to your supervisors and folk you work with and certainly not to the thugs...I would have it investigated. If your dept doesn't want to do it- see your district attorney as they have investigators and they have authority to call in GBI. Ken Hodges used to be up there and I can tell you were he still there he would want to know of this.

I don't trust a lot of the officers I work with, that's one of the reasons I want to quit. I do trust my Lt though, and he has gone up our chain of command today letting everybody know.

As far as how much my life is worth, apparently $500 is all. That's what I heard anyway. This was taken from an Inmate earlier today, he was making it for me.

2013-02-01_18-10-18_191.jpg

jshen

Established Member
When I made the comment about what your life is worth, I hsould have elaborated a bit. To some who post here and make stupid comments or suggestions, your life isn't worth anything but I beg to differ in that your life is beyond value to you, your family and those that know you. Those are the people you should look to in accessing the seriousness of the threat.

I am glad your Lt friend took this up. Good luck- and watch your back.

Mod

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
I work as a corrections officer as well. Usually if anyone there has a justified hit on them at work, they are moved to a different institution within our complex. As far as the steel goes, how are you sure it was meant for you? . We find weapons every shift. Maybe they're not that prominent where you work. I just I dunno. Maybe I'm just numb to it. We have had staff stabbed in the past. Usually the inmates just stab each other. We've had a few murders, inmate on inmate as well. Kinda comes with the territory. Hope everything works out for you. It's a very negative environment. Usually the jobs not bad but on the days it sucks it really sucks. Stay strong brother.

Last edited:

notorious p.i.g

Established Member
I work as a corrections officer as well. Usually if anyone there has a justified hit on them at work, they are moved to a different institution within our complex. As far as the steel goes, how are you sure it was meant for you? . We find weapons every shift. Maybe they're not that prominent where you work. I just I dunno. Maybe I'm just numb to it. We have had staff stabbed in the past. Usually the inmates just stab each other. We've had a few murders, inmate on inmate as well. Kinda comes with the territory. Hope everything works out for you. It's a very negative environment. Usually the jobs not bad but on the days it sucks it really sucks. Stay strong brother.

I'm usually not in the jail, I transport here most of the time. So I'm not super worried about the ones in here it's outside that I'm more concerned with. I know it was for me cause the dude they got it off of said it was. As far as them being prominent, yes, they're found all the time it's just a little different when they make it specifically for you..to me anyway. You're right though it does come with the territory, and my intention really wasn't to seem whiny.

notorious p.i.g

Established Member
When I made the comment about what your life is worth, I hsould have elaborated a bit. To some who post here and make stupid comments or suggestions, your life isn't worth anything but I beg to differ in that your life is beyond value to you, your family and those that know you. Those are the people you should look to in accessing the seriousness of the threat.

I am glad your Lt friend took this up. Good luck- and watch your back.

Mod

I knew what you meant and I didn't take it the wrong way, but thank you.

My family is the only reason I'm having such an issue with this. My wife already wants me to quit, has for a while. But now she is freaking out, and she's pregnant so I'm trying not to make it any worse.

mustanginky

Established Member
walk around with eyes in the back of your head. i'm a gang investigator for our DOC and i know that gangs have reach outside of the prisons for sure. if it were me, i would carry everywhere. at the jail, you don't really have that option. at my facility, we don't even have peace officer status off duty and are not authorized to have a weapon on prison property meaning no carrying from work to home.

i've never had a hit on me before, however a co-worker did when i was at probation and parole by a gang member he had arrested for weapons possession. he carried his ar-15 in his car with him for awhile after that and also his pistol. i would just make sure i was watching my butt while at work and after.

in this job we often have too many routines when we leave work that leave us exposed to danger. do you take the same way home daily? do you pay attention to vehicles that are behind you? it's not a bad idea to go several routes to and from work, especially now.

when i was at P&P i used to take different routes and i also paid attention to vehicles that were following me. one day i got off work and had a vehicle stop at my driveway behind me blocking me in behind my mustang. fully expecting a SHTF situation, i jumped out of my truck thinking bad stuff was about to happen. turns out it was a lady who was telling me the tail pipe on my truck was loose. sure enough it was. a major sigh of relief.

mind telling me what gang this bad guy was in?

an officer at another facility locked up an AB guy awhile back and was told he would have a price on his head. sure enough, a hit happened and he was stabbed thankfully he survived the incident. although it doesn't happen often around here, it really wakes you up when it does happen.

at the prison i work at, and at probation and parole, we are LONG overdue for a deadly force situation. i think about how many years i sent people to prison for and can't imagine how many bad guys would like nothing more than to take me out. funny thing is when i left P&P and hit the yard again i saw so many guys i had revoked i was known on the yard for it. i had inmates i didn't even know coming up to me and saying hey you were so and so's PO

always check your six and never forget where you are and what you do for a living. keep your head up man.

Last edited:

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm usually not in the jail, I transport here most of the time. So I'm not super worried about the ones in here it's outside that I'm more concerned with. I know it was for me cause the dude they got it off of said it was. As far as them being prominent, yes, they're found all the time it's just a little different when they make it specifically for you..to me anyway. You're right though it does come with the territory, and my intention really wasn't to seem whiny.

Sorry to come across that way. Believe me, I didn't think you were being whiney. It's definitely a serious thing you shouldn't take lightly. Mustanginkey posted up some great info. If you transport inmates outside the walls you already know what to look for. Always running scenarios through your head. There's nothing like sitting in a crowded emergency room with an inmate in full restraints.

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
I drove through Macon a few weeks ago going to Douglas, GA to pick up a trailer we ordered from Lark. On my way back through there was a convoy of about 15-20 donks with 26"+ wheels and they were all hanging out the windows and yelling shit. I was on I-75 doing 65-70mph and thought I was about to get shot.

Hahaha
They have those gats now a days be careful

On a serious note I strongly suggest you take this seriously
When I was younger I spent part of my highschool career at a juvenile detention center for some stupid shit I did, but when people make threats it was most of the time serious , most of the inmates were black and I was one of few white folks in the unit, there are wacky ass people there who actually unfortunately have connections and I would take it seriously for sure , since when the loudmouths actually threatened each other shit actually did happen I would suggest maybe transfer or something the department can do

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
we don't even have peace officer status off duty and are not authorized to have a weapon on prison property meaning no carrying from work to home.

WTF is up with this?

When I was a CO, we had lockboxes out by Main Control. Before the parking lot and the main gate. You can check in your personal handgun there coming in and check it out when leaving.

For those of us that worked for Complex (as opposed to working for/at the individual units) that were part of the search/chase teams, we even got lockboxes bolted on on the inside of our personal vehicles so that we could [technically] carry all the way to the gate.

Personally, not allowing your COs to carry travelling to/from work is just begging for trouble. That is, unless you guys have a policy where you come and leave in civvies only.

Last edited:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Sorry to come across that way. Believe me, I didn't think you were being whiney. It's definitely a serious thing you shouldn't take lightly. Mustanginkey posted up some great info. If you transport inmates outside the walls you already know what to look for. Always running scenarios through your head. There's nothing like sitting in a crowded emergency room with an inmate in full restraints.

We always took our inmates to the County hospital near downtown. The only good thing about it is that every other local agency took their wards there as well. So you'd have all kinds of armed officers (of course so were we) hanging out BS'ing outside the exam/ER areas. We'd even run drills with them so we'd know how to work together in case anyone in our custodies tried anything.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
at my facility, we don't even have peace officer status off duty and are not authorized to have a weapon on prison property meaning no carrying from work to home.

even though you can legally keep it in your glove box as its no different than your home?

Users who are viewing this thread