Anybody else got thin paint?

ONEbadmachONE

Redirect NOS to air vent!
Established Member
Hey I went in to have the bizzilion chips on my hood fixed 2 days ago and was informed that my paint is too thin and this is why I have had sooo much trouble with chips. After I had a complete nervous breakdown and they picked me up off the floor (I love my car) I contacted Ford about it. I have an extended finish warrantee so it looks like they are going to cover having it repainted. I am going up this monday to find out what the deal is. I was just curious if anyone else had noticed their paint being thin especially in the engine bay, door jams, etc. Apparantly yellow is the most susceptable to thinness.

WhiteTxMach

Established Member
Actually, my car has quite a few paint chips as well! I am really starting to get quite pissed off about it! I will have to see if my extended warranty will cover it, since I know my mods have voided just about any other warranty I have. May as well sell back my extended warranty if its not going to cover it.

ONEbadmachONE

Established Member
Yeah it was really making me mad because everytime I drive the car it has like 10 more chips. IT"S INSANE!!! The body shop said it shouldnt do that. The paint is too thin so it takes nothing to chip it. I would go to a body shop and have em check it out for you. Then you will have an outside opinion instead of Ford just saying "we dont see any problem, and chips arent covered in the warrantee...blah blah blah." They will do what they can to get out of it. I will let you know how much trouble I have with it on monday.

WhiteTxMach

Established Member
Please post up about it, because I am sick and tired of "trying" to hide all these chips with the cover up paint I got when I bought the car. :cuss:

ONEbadmachONE

Established Member
Yeah tell me about it, it always comes out lookin crappy. My friend with the body shop said to take a paper match, cut the end at an angle and then use that in your touch up paint to repair the chips. He said all those fancy repair kits don't do near as good of a job as the match can do. I havn't tried it yet but he does great work. He has a Fiero ( I have one too, thats how we met) that he just painted the most awesome chameleon paint I have ever seen. The paint job cost $12,000!!!!! It's gold, electric blue, and purple. CRAZY GORGEOUS!!! So he knows what he is doing with paint. Kinda got off track there, oopsy. :)

ONEbadmachONE

Established Member
Oh yeah, btw he said use the touch up paint sparingly. Dont put a huge glob on at once. Build it up in layers.

WhiteTxMach

Established Member
ONEbadmachONE said:
Oh yeah, btw he said use the touch up paint sparingly. Dont put a huge glob on at once. Build it up in layers.

Yah, I layer it on, but it still doesnt look the way it should

ScottsMach03

Established Member
I to have had a few problems with paint chips. It gets me so aggrivated. I found two more yesterday on my front facsia. Give me some more details on this ext warrenty you bought for the paint. I bought a ext warrenty, but i dont think it covers the paint.

ONEbadmachONE

Established Member
Ok so here is what happened. The car was originally purchased by someone else. He put 3000 miles on it and kept complaining about the color to Ford. Apparantly when he ordered it he thought he was getting Screaming Yellow which is a 2004 color and he ended up getting Zinc Yellow which is a 2003 color. He finally complained enough that they bought the car back from him and he bought a screaming yellow one. I bought the car, for a considerable discount and they gave me an extended warrantee on the finish due to the nature of the complaint being paint. Your extended warrantee will cover this issue IF you can prove that the paint was not properly applied from the factory. This is what I am finding to be the case on my car. i would suggest if you think you have this prob, contact an outside body shop and have them write up a statement about the problem then go to Ford. I will let you know what I find tomorrow when they look at my car.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
There's a couple of really small spots on mine where you can see the metal through the clearcoat and a couple of layers of paint surrounding them. Still has the full warranty but I wonder if that'd be enough to get it repainted... properly. :shrug:

machman

04 SVT COBRA
Established Member
when i got my cobra it had thin paint. it took them about 3 weeks to get it repainted the car is unreal shiny no orange peal no where. they did a great job on the car im glad it had the thin paint. are they going to repaint your whole car? look under your door also there wasnt any paint under mine from the factory. they sprayed under the doors when they repainted the car the guy at the body shop said they do that to save money. good luck hope everything turns out ok

67bigblock

Established Member
My basic feeling is that Ford paints & preps their vehicles in a very junky-azz way. But one should go in knowing this. Doesnt bother me much anymore.

ONEbadmachONE

Established Member
Ok so I just got back from having em take a look. They started off saying that they werent going to do anything about it. I held my ground and continued to point out all the problems. The thin spot on my fender where you could see through the paint was what finally cinced it. They finally agreed to send me to a body shop locally and have them take a look at it. I went to the shop and he said the fender was a mess and the hood had soo much orange peel it was pathetic. He said it looked like my hood has been replaced. I dont know if that is the case or not but anyhow. He said the paint had not been cured on the hood and that it was still soft on top of being thin. He wrote up an estimate for having the fender and hood repainted and new stripes PAINTED on !!! I was really happy with that. No more decal! So I took the estimate back to the dealer and they said that my warrantee DOES cover that and that they will take care of it. Now all I need to do is set aside a week to have it done and insure one of my project cars so I have something to drive. The cool thing is is that the repaint is going to be much better quality than the factory paint job.
Btw my friend at the dealership called the claims department and asked about what the warrantee covers, and they said that it covers this kind of thing as long as you can prove that the factory made the mistake. They will not cover chips by themselves but if you can prove by having a shop measure the paint in microns that it is too thin or that it is soft they will cover repainting it. I think in the end it comes down to how aggreable your dealership is. Fortunately I had two friends who work there. This may have helped it go smoother, but you should still be able to get some satisfaction if you hold firm. Hope this helps, if anybody has any questions let me know, I would be glad to answer them.

rmgtc01

Established Member
No, just the hood. Delray Lincoln Mercury has a great reputation for customer service. I pulled it up and showed them the hood. (had several nickel sized flakes in various areas.) The Asst. Service Manager was like "okay, yeah we've got 2 other cobras in the shop right now for the same thing.
I had the TSB (3-25-05) on it in case they gave me any crap, but we just made an appointment with the paint shop and I brought it in. No questions asked. It was great, b/c I was expecting something.

ONEbadmachONE

Established Member
yeah, I totally expected a fight. The body shop said its very common on stangs, but the Ford dealership didnt want to admit it. After I showed him my m4 and m16 airsoft guns and let him shoot them, we got talking about all kinds of stuff and eventually he went from " no we cant do anything about that" to "I will take care of that, even if Ford doesnt cover it I will find the money somewhere." I was like SWEET! :banana: They still woudnt do anything about my engine bay and door jams, they said mine are actually pretty good for a Mustang. I'm all like hey this is a 32,000 car and you cant even paint the flippin engine bay?! I told him that I had not found that to be the case and that I had just been on a Mustang drive and looked in alot of engine bays and saw good paint on almost all of them. No dice though. At least I am getting the hood and fender. I am thinking of having some extra clearcoat put on. Or maybe that spray on chip guard. Eventually I will probably have the whole car repainted but for now this works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread