Anybody done chip & pulley without anything else?

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
I'm looking for responses from guys/gals who did the lightning pulley with chip mod, but left everything else pretty much stock.

I'm looking for typical RWHP and 1/4-mile times with just these two mods (3 if you include K&N airfilter drop-in).

I'm too cheap to do the whole exhaust -- damm things cost too much! I'd rather spend the $400-$500 for the chip & pulley if that'll net me some good numbers for now and do the exhaust later...

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Forbidden,
I don't fit your requirements.... I did the X-pipe and catback as well as pulley and chip. (have no dyno information either)

The September issues of 5.0 and MM/FF both did articles on the '03. Seems 5.0 went the exhaust filter route.... and MM/FF went the pulley and chip route. They both gave a pretty good rundown on the dyno numbers and their track prowess.

jtfx6552

Established Member
I ran that way for a long time.

Car ran very low 12's, depending on the weather.

With the pulley, Amazon racing Diablo chip and the Amazon racing filter and heat shield it went [email protected].

JT

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Awesome..... I think that's the most bang for the buck mod... The exhaust can come later...

Was the chip custom dyno-tuned to your car? Or did Amazon just burn the chip for you based on the mods you tell them?

jtfx6552

Established Member
Rick at Amazon has a great conservative(safe), "pulley" program, that is the one I am using. A/F 11.2-11.3.

JT

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm kinda new on this blower technology stuff.. but if the chip is designed for that AF ratio, what happens when you don't get on it and drive around with that new AF ratio programmed... does it 'know' when the blower is on and change the AF then, but not when the blower is on?

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
iSEPIC, I think that the A/F ratio is determined by a function in the EEC. This function should take into account the air flow and what size pulley you have on the blower, even on the original program. All the chip probably changes is the size of the pulley and keeps the same function or makes it so it yields an appropriate A/F ratio. So the answer to your question IMHO is yes, the EEC knows when the blower is on and how fast it's spinning.

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
I ran that way for a long time.

Car ran very low 12's, depending on the weather.

With the pulley, Amazon racing Diablo chip and the Amazon racing filter and heat shield it went [email protected].

JT

Hey jtfx6552, is that the same size pulley as the Lightening pulley? I wen't to amazonracing and saw several chips and pullies... which one specificially did you get if you don't mind me asking.... thanks.

jtfx6552

Established Member
I have a stock lightining take off pulley. I believe they are 2.93.

Based on Jim V's latest post, I'm thinking I may want a 3.1.

JT

Users who are viewing this thread