Anybody concern'd

Helix

The Beast
Established Member
I have heard a lot about these little cars. One thing that got me concerned was when I had a pretty reliable source tell me they could run head to head with any SVT.

Helix

2004 Impreza STi WRX
imprezawrxsti03_04_800.jpg

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
From what I understand they're capable of high 12's...Stock!
They kind of fall in the Grand national catagory. Not very pretty,
but fast. Grand national is way better looking though.
I'm not slamming the G/N. I used to own a low 12 sec G/N.
The power was awesome!

Nathan

Established Member
pretty quick, and they're just getting started

The STi is still pretty new on the scene and it uses a different motor and ECU from the previous WRX. Stock for stock, they're quicker than a lightning, but not by much. Most run 13.2-13.6 out of the box. Much of that variation is in the launch and the STi is MUCH harder to drive fast than the Lightning. Given the turbo and the AWD, they can turn very quick times but it's more abusive to the drivetrain than on an L.
Still, because the motor is so new, the only real mods people are doing is exhaust. There isnt much in the way of engine management yet (due from most vendors spring 04) so they're not even 'chipped' yet. When that happens you should start seeing them dip into the 11's. At this point it's still cheaper to make 12.0 sec lightning than a 12.0 sec STi.

It's a whole different story in the twisties though.

PA040012.sized.jpg

SNCBOOM

Established Member
they're pretty fast and ugly as sin....but you gotta respect 300 hp from a 4 cylinder

Users who are viewing this thread