Anybody actually been refered to the Hot Rod Article?

sir-blah

Established Member
So I was waiting for a person who wanted to buy a truck from me. He calls me and turns out he's driving a WRX STI. The very first thing he said when he saw my car was "Nice car, to bad you spent so much and mine would whoop your's ass." :dw: I couldn't beleive the guy actually said that. I said "Are you slow or do you really beleive that?" He jumped right in with "There was a side by side test done and the WRX beat the cobra in every test! Its slower, and it can't turn." :rolleyes: So after hearing him go on and on about his wonder car we left the meeting spot so he could get the truck and give me my money. When all was taken care of I followed him away from the city streets. There is a long road that goes quick into some hard turns (I used to race my bike there). To make a long story short I walked him for a little over 1/4mi then slowed to about 65 to wait on him for the turns. We hit the turns at about that speed and I walked all over him there too. :burnout:

Ahh well. Thought I would pass that along. I have had people pull that whole "Such and such a magazine only ran a 18.2 quarter with that and the Vette or commaro or the whatever ran a 10.2 STOCK" but this guy basically memorized the Hot Rod article about the 03 vs WRX.

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
You hate to see the Cobra under-represented but all those articles help add to our kill tally. It brings out people that normally wouldn't want any. :beer: Can we get more of those please?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Glad the truck deal still went through.......Don't know if I could of closed the deal with such a delusional ricer.

JWC

Established Member
Good double kill, I guess now he knows "you really can't believe everything you read!" Some things you just have to learn in the real world.

BigDaddy

Established Member
I would just refer the person to the timeslip that says my stock 03 cobra (with exhaust) runs 12.7's @ 115mph.--I haven't even got started working on it yet. :lol:

Hot Rod Mag drivers need to go back to driving school since they obviously don't have the gift of being a skilled driver. Not to say I'm that skilled either, but then again I'm not publishing False performace times in a internation publication.

:coolman:

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Established Member
I had people at work always bring up cars they thought were as fast or faster than my cobra.Last time I brought in my 11.8 timeslip.That basically shut them up.

SoCalSnake

Established Member
I don't mind that Hot Rod magazine has convinced all the STi owners that they can beat on our lowly '03 Cobras.

Its actually kind of funny that STi owners would hang their hats on a magazine article.

They can quote all the mags they want and believe their own hype...when these STi's encounter an '03 that blows them away, they'll have a big oh shat look on their face while they cling to their precious magazine article.

Oh and good kill sir-blah...now go hunt down some cars worthy of your power...can I suggest some Z06s?

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Yeah at one of my last open track sessions this year at Mission Raceway near Vancouver, in September, there were a couple of WRX sti's . Mission is a very tight and short 1.25 mile long, very technical track with concrete walls alongside much of it. Not an easy track for a high horsepower car, and definitely favouring an all wheel drive small car. The first two sessions there wwas no passing allowed and the two sti's were keeping up because I was held up by cars in front. The sti drivers were pretty smug. Well when we got to last couple of very fast sessions when I could pass other cars there was no contest and they were left far in the dust!! They came back in quite sheepish and muttering that there is no substitute for torque!!

Anyway it was a lot fun thoroughly putting them in their place!

On one of the longer tracks it would not even be close, no matter how many turns there are!! the smae with the Nissan 350 Z's and Infiniti Q35's that were there!

Gord

sir-blah

Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalSnake
Oh and good kill sir-blah...now go hunt down some cars worthy of your power...can I suggest some Z06s?

Been there, done that, moved on. Those guys get totally pissed-off for the most part. I have only been fortunate enough to run into one or two who were cool (Never at the track) oh well. Let people say what they will, doesn't bother me.

As for the truck deal. I wasn't about to just let that deal slide. I paid about $400 for it, and lets just say I made a profit... (Think mid $teen's :D ) Just enough to pay off what I owe on the car... I didn't really rip him off, It was worth probably between what I got if for and what I sold it for :-D

steeljack

Established Member
Like I've said in many threads about the under-ratings, I had only the air silencer off and didn't launch at all and still ran 12.60s consistantly. I would also add that this was my first manual transmission automobile. What is with these magazine drivers?

soniccobra 03

SONIC SLO POKE
Established Member
Silly ricers.........at least they know how to read. A plus for them i guess..................

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Love the kill, all I wanna know now is what the Sti driver said to you after having his ass handed to him?

Flatliner

THE HEARTBEAT STOPS HERE.
Established Member
As much as it irks me to hear their crap... I always get a smirk on my face thinking 'dumb@ass'. The answer to their comments by me will always be,ya... I got walked by one the other day (NOT), but I almost beat him and he knows it, but he wouldn't run me again. Wanna put your money where your mouth is and see if I can beat your car?

Users who are viewing this thread