Anybody a Pharmaceutical sales rep?

bchisom99

Established Member
Is anybody in here a Pharmaceutical or Medical Equip. Sales rep? I'm in, we'll call it financial 'sales' right now, planning products and mortgage planning, I've got a buddy selling capital equipment and he is CLEANING up. . .just curious, I'm gonna drop some resume's next week probably. . .

roadwarrior60

Established Member
bchisom99 said:
Is anybody in here a Pharmaceutical or Medical Equip. Sales rep? I'm in, we'll call it financial 'sales' right now, planning products and mortgage planning, I've got a buddy selling capital equipment and he is CLEANING up. . .just curious, I'm gonna drop some resume's next week probably. . .

well im not a sales rep, but i am a pharmacy tech. so i see these guys like 2 or 3 times a week. and they definately do clean up, you never see them in crappy suits, or driving away in crappy cars. money for them is GOOD. and you done need much (if any school), the company should train you on their products. and let me tell you, people like me love when you guys come around. we have a few regular reps that come in, and never leave with out at least buying(or offering to) us lunch. :beer: plis we get stocked with enough pens and post-it pads to last a life-time :-D

roadracer247

Established Member
I have heard they make good money but the job is not easy and there can be some very long hours. I hope your a very good in sales!

JJPMach1

Red 2003 Mach 1
Established Member
My cousin pushes for Pfizer in north jersey. She has a company car, expenses and she does pretty good. I'd she makes a comfortable living in North Jersey which is pretty expensive place to live.

spinscan

Established Member
I know 2 who work for Novartis. They both drive expensive cars (Porsche 911's) so they must be doing ok.

bchisom99

Established Member
This is all good feedback, my buddy may be getting me an interview with his company, but they sell capital equipment, his smallest sale in the last 12mths was right around 200K and he makes a 4% rip. . .

long hours I am use to, driving around, I love it, and his company allows you to use what you would get for a company car as a monthly allowance for whatever you want if you want to buy something new...a 911 wouldn't be to bad as a DD would it?

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
BigBeez03 is the man you are looking for. You could probably send him a pm if you have any questions. I am sure he would be glad to answer them.

Im a pharmacy tech at the moment, going to school to be a pharmacist, newayz, I see them all the time and they make damn good money. My uncle works for amgen and he lives extremely comfortable. Porsche GT2 and a Hummer H2 SUT are his weekend vehicles. Wife also has a Porshce 911 not to mention they live in an extremely expensive neighborhood here. If I cant get into pharmacy school, its my fall back....LOL

Juiced-03

Established Member
roadwarrior60 said:
and you done need much (if any school), the company should train you on their products.

I have never heard of a company hiring a person for this type of position without a 4 year degree.

ridethelighteni

foolish samurai warrior
Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
I have never heard of a company hiring a person for this type of position without a 4 year degree.

Yep, my wife works for Merck - but soon taking a better offer at Icon. Not sales...but she tells me that other than a few old timers, none of the big pharm companies will even look at you without a 4 year degree - preferably in a core science. Nurses are the exception, but most of them have degrees too nowdays.

roadracer247

Established Member
I have to agree with the above. I looked at a few companies just out of interest and they all wanted at least a BA in science.

umachme

°Mach Speed°
Established Member
ridethelighteni said:
Yep, my wife works for Merck - but soon taking a better offer at Icon. Not sales...but she tells me that other than a few old timers, none of the big pharm companies will even look at you without a 4 year degree - preferably in a core science. Nurses are the exception, but most of them have degrees too nowdays.

Smaller companies don't always require a 4-year degree, I have seen some that say "some college." As a person in the medical field you don't need any skill to drop off drugs and have a MD sign for it. It's a boring job that makes good-great money. Many start in the 50k-70k range (base) and travel into crazy money world :) Drug UPS man/women

Juiced-03

Established Member
umachme said:
You are ill informed, do a monster search.

I must be. The first page on Monster of Pharm. Sales all required 4 year BA degrees. :bored:

Last edited:

umachme

°Mach Speed°
Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
I must be. The first page on Monster of Pharm. Sales all requried 4 year BA degrees. :bored:

Most of them are 4 years, but there are a hand full that say "Some College," what ever that means. I have been offered a job in the field and I did a little research. A lot of them say 2-3year exp. too! I don't know if I want to be a do boy :sleeping:

Supernova

Established Member
umachme said:
Smaller companies don't always require a 4-year degree, I have seen some that say "some college." As a person in the medical field you don't need any skill to drop off drugs and have a MD sign for it. It's a boring job that makes good-great money. Many start in the 50k-70k range (base) and travel into crazy money world :) Drug UPS man/women

There's a lot more to the job than just dropping stuff off and getting a signature.

And yes, virtually ALL of the big companies (Pfizer, Merck, J&J, etc) in actual pharmaceutical sales REQUIRE a 4-year degree. I know a ton of drug reps and ALL of them have a minimum of a 4-year degree. Typically the companies like a 4 year degree in science or business, and many also prefer some prior sales experience. Are there some that don't? Probably, but the VAST MAJORITY go by those criteria.

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
03 svtvenom said:
BigBeez03 is the man you are looking for. You could probably send him a pm if you have any questions. I am sure he would be glad to answer them.
Beat me to it...

Users who are viewing this thread