Any way to recover a flash drive?

coolguy10786

Established Member
Well went to work on my cylinder head for my inventor class, and when i plug my drive in it just says windows cannot reconize the device! Is there anyway to get the info off of it? Im completely screwed if i can't! I've got about 30+ hrs into the head with Inventor.

For some reason my hard drive copy hasn't been saving, so i still have the model, just an old version that will set me back a good 3-4 hrs.

I hope someone can help! Thanks!

GunsUpCoyote

Global Wahhh? 12 mpg
Established Member
ouch. The only thing I can think of is to try a different computer. I have a new dell laptop, and a Dell desktop that is about 8 years old. Today I was saving some info on my laptop to my F drive so I could print it on my desktop. I freaked when My desktop didnt read the device so I ran back to my laptop and it worked? Sometimes funny things like that just happen. If you didnt drop it, I dunno why it would do that? Floppys always had the problem that if you had a magnet in your pocket you could wipe it out but I doubt its the same with these. All I can say is try a different computer because it worked tonight for me. Good luck hope all that hard work doesnt go to waste

Don Juan

Established Member
Send it to manufacturer, they'll get the data for you, they charged me 30 bucks, this was Sandisk .

coolguy10786

Established Member
I would, but i don't have the time. I'm just going back and working on the old version. I know by the time i get it working, i could be back to where i was.

Man it was looking sweet too. Modeling a b head and was ready to model the valve springs. Now i have to go back and make the holes for the valves, which were kind of a pain.

coolguy10786

Established Member
Tried three with same results:nonono:

I read a little and said some people had luck trying a windows 98 machine. Even then though it just allowed you to format it, which is what i don't want to do. I'll prob just send it in and get what i can off of it.

coolguy10786

Established Member
what are you modeling the b heads for it sounds interesting!

Final project for one of my classes. Its using a program called Inventor. I was going to do short block, but i had the b heads i pulled off my car i could use as a guide, so just went that route.

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Look to see what drive letter the computer is designating it as when you plug it in. A guy at work had this problem and apparently flash drives are supposed to be designated E: drives when plugged into the USB port.

theraapster

Established Member
Look to see what drive letter the computer is designating it as when you plug it in. A guy at work had this problem and apparently flash drives are supposed to be designated E: drives when plugged into the USB port.

It all depends on what other drives you currently have in your PC. I have a couple of hard drives separated into several partitions, along with a couple of optical drives and if I were to plug in a flash drive it would be the letter I. If you only have one hard drive and one floppy, then yes, more than likely plugging in a flash drive would be given the letter E.

Users who are viewing this thread