Any way to get SCT Livelink onto a Mac?

Speedboosted

Established Member
My data logging woes continue, car is basically stuck with a tune from only one legit log. Tuner assured me its still mild and the car is in no danger but obviously I would like to get this damn thing dialed in, its been almost two months now....I heard somewhere, well at least I thought I heard, that there is some way to convert a Mac product to a windows in order to run the SCT or Livelink software. Is this true or am I crazy? If it can be done, its not permanent is it? Also if you know how to do this there may be a small gift in the form of dollars for you to either walk me through it or do it through TeamViewer. I plan on calling the shop that was able to get a compete datalog while the car was dyno'd to see if they did anything special or whatnot. Hell I may just bring the car back and have them do it....Anyways if anybody has any knowledge on this please please let me know! Thanks

Stanger00

Established Member
Buy Windows or torrent Windows 7 and burn image to disc.

Open utilities or search in finder for boot camp. Follow instructions.

That is how you partition the hard drive to run OSX and Windows on your MB.

This is how I had to datalog with SCT.

Skud

Established Member
Either way you go you will need a copy of Windows. Paid for Virtualization hosts like VMWare or Parallels generally give better compatibility and more features. I can't say I've ever used VirtualBox so I don't know if it would work or not.

Myself, I have a 15" Retina Macbook Pro and use VMWare Fusion to run a Windows 7 VM. I connect my Xcal2 to the USB port and it gets passed through to the Windows virtual machine. I can datalog and tune with PRP with no issues.

Riley

Regulars520

Established Member
Lol any chance you guys can break it down like "for dummies" Im all mac at my house too and need this

Speedboosted

Established Member
Lol any chance you guys can break it down like "for dummies" Im all mac at my house too and need this

Seriously lol. I've got a buddy thats an IT for Boeing so he's going to walk me through it for the most part. How much are you guys paying for the windows software?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I myself use Oracle's VirtualBox. Very quick and easy to use and been free is great too. I had an old windows desktop that was getting thrown away in the trash and it had the "windows key" sticker on it as I'm sure you've guys have seen. I saved it, downloaded a copy of OEM win 7 to match and the key went in and I was good to go.

However I ended up buying a dedicated tuning laptop (non mac) simply for the touch screen feature. It's so amazing when trying to drive to be able to just reach over and touch the screen and start or stop data logging etc. Even when my son is riding shot gun and not having to drive he loves the touch screen instead of trying to work a mouse or touch pad in the car.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Good deal.

I should really do the same because boot camp ate up 50gb of my hard drive.

Boot camp is a different approach. It loads dual operating systems so you reboot the Mac and boot into Windows. It's now essentially a Windows laptop. VirtualBox, Parallels, VMWare etc. are all just applications that load Windows in a virtual application while you're still up and running OSX. So now Windows is literally just another application running that you can full screen or minimize to the dock and not look at. So much better.

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
Boot camp is a different approach. It loads dual operating systems so you reboot the Mac and boot into Windows. It's now essentially a Windows laptop. VirtualBox, Parallels, VMWare etc. are all just applications that load Windows in a virtual application while you're still up and running OSX. So now Windows is literally just another application running that you can full screen or minimize to the dock and not look also. So much better.

Thanks for the explanation. Yup, to run Windows you have to power down OS X and power up hold option and choose Windows partition.

But at the time when I did this I didn't know about parallels or virtual box as I did this over 2 years ago.

I slapped in a copy of Windows 7 and ran boot camp and it partitioned the hard drive. Very easy for me at that time and I needed it for school because the schools virtual Windows program sucked and consumed my processor and ram and actually would kill the battery very fast.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Thanks for the explanation. Yup, to run Windows you have to power down OS X and power up hold option and choose Windows partition.

But at the time when I did this I didn't know about parallels or virtual box as I did this over 2 years ago.

No problem, I explained it because I figured a lot might not realize. I work in computers so I've seen this stuff years. It was around 2 years ago :) I remember doing Windows 95 in a virtual machine on my linux boxes back in gosh 1998/1999 era lol.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I highly recommend vmware fusion... I use it currently on my mac with PRP, Livelink, works great.

Your Mac needs to have a lot of memory and I recommend you use Windows 7 with at least 4 gigs of RAM devoted to virtual machine. I wouldn't even bother with a Mac unless you have at least 8 gigs of RAM on it.

Speedboosted

Established Member
I'm using a version of Windows 10 actually. It definitely took up some space but to be honest, once i finish getting it all tuned I'm just going to erase it from the computer. It's saved on an external file so I will always have it just in case, and still get to keep my memory. I had my friend who is an IT for Boeing load everything up

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I highly recommend vmware fusion... I use it currently on my mac with PRP, Livelink, works great.

While vmware fusion works great I find Oracle Virtual Box works better. It's got less bloat, more responsive and keeps things very quick. Best of all Virtual Box is free where as VMWare Fusion is a paid product. Both get the job done though.

Users who are viewing this thread