Any Vinyl Record/music enthusiasts?

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
If you're talking about the full size, heavy vinyl 45 remasters...some of those are amazing.

There are some pretty nice relatively inexpensive phono stages out there. I have an older version of this and am very happy; $400-500

http://www.rega.co.uk/fono-mc.html

I highly suggest the Lounge Audio MK III
For $300 it's hard to beat with anything under $1000.
http://www.loungeaudio.com/lcr-mr-iii

Yes, referring to heavy vinyl 45 remasters. Some of my jazz ones are unbelievable!

Thanks for the tips on the phono stages. I'll look into those.

ssssnake

Established Member
I still have a lot of vinyl, but the sound isn't that pure, a lot of scratches. The ones that were bought in the 80s aren't scratched. I have a lot of groups - Neil Young and bands he was in, James Taylor, ELO, Seger. Mostly stuff I listened to in the 70-80s. I don't play them anymore because the turntable is gone. One of these days.....

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I always enjoyed the mellow, slow and laid back style of Miles Davis.

I'm sure you already own Bitches Brew and Kind of Blue? In a Silent Way would be another. The first 2 I mentioned being the most popular
He alone went through several phases in his career. Everything from Big Band through Jazz Fusion, so you will hear quite a variance in style between albums.
Another one would be Vince Guaraldi. (Creator of the Peanuts music) There's a bunch of the Peanuts stuff available out there, along with Vince's albums as well. There's a Vince Guaraldi box set available also, haven't heard it yet so I can't vouch for sound quality, but it has a good tracklist for sure. Vince is a really fun listen

97snakebite

Established Member
I run my technics 1200s or 1210mk2 when I I'm DJn.... at home I use my a 1200s as well...all have been internally grounded ... people who don't know look at me stupid when I tell them my turntables are 30 years old

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I run my technics 1200s or 1210mk2 when I I'm DJn.... at home I use my a 1200s as well...all have been internally grounded ... people who don't know look at me stupid when I tell them my turntables are 30 years old

Yeah, those who are not "in the know" have no idea the quality of those old Technics 1200 series.
I used to run a SL-D2 and it was built like a tank, had super stable speeds, and was very musical. It was built in 1981. I still have it stored away, I can't bring myself to sell it. It's in almost perfect condition, including the dustcover.

Wankel1308

Established Member
I worked in an honest to god record store for a couple of years doing repair on these older units. Most of what I listen to comes from '66-'74, with the majority of it being '70-'72. Right now lots of Leon Russell and Tony Joe White, currently playing Flying Burrito Brothers. Before that MF Doom... Next is Funkadelic. I am using a Music Hall 5.1SE turntablewith a cheapo ortofon cartridge (got a deal I couldn't refuse on the table, looking for the deal on a new cart), running through my old McIntosh 1900 receiver, out to a pair of Tannoys and a set of Yamaha NS670s. A little cobbled together but I've got $500 into the whole thing and I'm not complaining. We just moved and now I need to find a new record store, might just get a part time job to get the employee discount!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
R.I.P. Mr. Walter Becker.
You will surely be missed in the music community. Walter was one of a kind.

Users who are viewing this thread