Any tricks to remove a broken bolt with limited access?

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
So I have to replace a few speed sensors on my gf's Jeep before I can go out and celebrate the 4th. Of course the bolt broke on the last one and I can't get it out. There's almost no access to the bolt due to the control arms, shocks, brakes, etc. Anyone have a trick to get it out?.. I can't get a drill in there, I can't get pliers or vicegrips in there, etc.

The car also won't start until the bolt is back in so it's stuck... I just wanted to ask before I try everything I can. I'll check back in a bit so thanks in advance for any ideas.

IMG_4474_zpsd0e66a41.gif

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Well if you have a welder handy you can take a half inch nut and fill it in.

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
Yeah I have neither ha... that's why I'm stuck. The only option I can think of is to remove the rear hub and hopefully have access to it?..

Adiabatik

Banned
Bolt extractor but you need to get a drill to it. I think the easiest/cheapest rout is to take it apart.

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
I would soak it with PB Blaster or whatever penetrating oil you prefer, tap it in the CENTER with a center punch and try to use a chisel or pointed punch to roatate it out. Tapping the outside edge on an angle to try to rotate it. I've seen it work on a crank bolt in a honda more than once. You may get lucky.

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
There was not enough room for anything other than a box end wrench in there... maybe 1/2" of space for anything because I could not come from directly behind it.

I didn't have many options but I cut into it a bit with a Dremel and then used JB Weld to 're-attach' the bolt head. I got real lucky and it backed out like that.

Users who are viewing this thread