Any tires out there like BFG KDW2s?

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
I'm looking for a comparable set of performance tires like the BFGoodrich KDW2s. I don't believe they are made anymore and I remember they came in the KDW2 and DR version. I had the KDW2s in the rear of my 99 GT in 295s and loved them. The wear was great, excellent compromise of durability and tread softness for grip, unique tread pattern which looked great, but was also functional and helped in the few times I was in the rain I feel that made a major difference. If I could buy these again, I definitely would.

Anyways, I recently bought an 86 GT with 17" Chrome Ponys with 255 Nitto NT555s and I generally don't like Nittos, the 555s are ok, the DR variants I despise as from personal experience the tread is ultra soft and lasts under 10k-15k miles and that's not from doing constant burnouts. They don't hook very well IMO. I am looking for a tire very similar to the KDW2 for street use, price isn't a concern, as I did pay $255/piece for the two 295s I had on my 99 GT and that was like 10 years ago, but it was well worth it. I do not want a Drag Radial. Just a Ultra/High Performance Summer Tire with similar characteristics to the KDW2 if anyone was familiar with those tires.

Not sure where else to post this as this is just a general tire question and not a specific Mustang year question, not talking about gas, lube, boost, etc.

Thanks!

robvas

Established Member
Last edited:

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Double Post

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
What's wrong with Nittos/555s? Just curious. They come in a bunch of sizes, and are an all around great tire. I actually need new front tires and i'll be going with the 555 G2s.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
What's wrong with Nittos/555s? Just curious. They come in a bunch of sizes, and are an all around great tire. I actually need new front tires and i'll be going with the 555 G2s.

I have them in 255s on all 4s with only 9k miles on them. Personally I just don't like Nitto 555s or the DRs. I've had both versions on a different Fox I had and they wore extremely quick, traction was abysmal for the DRs, and they always seem to be smaller in size when comparing the exact same tire to another brand tire of the same size. I've just had bad experiences with their tires. Maybe their newer tires have changed since I last used them, but I don't know. I will be keeping the 255 Nitto 555- G2s up front and i'm only looking to replace the rear with a larger 275 size tire.

Thanks for the nod, rain/wet conditions aren't necessarily a concern as I don't plan to drive the car in the rain. My 99 GT wasn't my DD, but I didn't have an issue driving it in the rain when I had the Vortech on it, and then stopped driving it in any wet conditions when I went with a turbo/built block/E85, etc. I just remember the few times in my 99 GT I was in the rain and I got crazy wheel spin just trying to go up steep incline until I switched to the KDW2s and I was surprised how well they performed in wet conditions.

Those tires are not great. There's a reason they come in the wheel/tire packages on many Mustang websites. They're cheap!

If price is truly not a concern, get the Pilot Sports. To stay under $200/tire go with the
BFGOODRICH G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2, FIRESTONE FIREHAWK INDY 500, or CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT SPORT

I appreciate the insight. I'll check out the tires you recommended. I don't think they make PS4s in 275/40/17s, at least I didn't see any on Tire Rack. The Comp-2 & Indy 500s are about $180/piece and i'd definitely lean more towards the BFGs just because of my past experience with their tires.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I got the bfg sport comp 2 summer tires this year and really like them so far. 03 cobra basic bolt on’s.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
I've used sport comp 2s and current have indy500s.

The SC2s are better in the wet, particularly heavy rain and standing water. The Indy500s are better in every other aspect. Not glaringly so, but a noticeable difference none the less.

The Indy500 is a rebranded Potenza RE003. It's a quality tire at a great price considering the performance it gives.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
I got the bfg sport comp 2 summer tires this year and really like them so far. 03 cobra basic bolt on’s.

Thanks for the input, i'm slowly considering these tires more and more.

I've used sport comp 2s and current have indy500s.

The SC2s are better in the wet, particularly heavy rain and standing water. The Indy500s are better in every other aspect. Not glaringly so, but a noticeable difference none the less.

The Indy500 is a rebranded Potenza RE003. It's a quality tire at a great price considering the performance it gives.

Hmm, interesting. The rain quality difference doesn't matter too much as this car sits in the garage and I only take it out when it's nice out. I was just hoping the tire wouldn't be complete trash in the rain in the off chance I got stuck in the rain during a cruise perhaps.

That's a positive note about the Indy 500s, i've had the Potenza RE003s on my WRXs and really pushed those tires in all weather conditions, but I loved cornering with them, but this was on an AWD car that has considerable understeer and I generally push the gas harder into corners since it's AWD.

I definitely have to consider the Indy500s, it'll come down to availability in the size I want. It's not the biggest deal between the two sets of tires since these are going on my 17" Chrome Ponys and I plan to switch to 5-lugs very soon and also switch to an 18" wheel/tire as well. The SC2s & Indy500s sound like really good options though.

04YellowGT

Established Member
Those tires are not great. There's a reason they come in the wheel/tire packages on many Mustang websites. They're cheap!

100% agree. I had a set and they looked good and rode decent but for actual performance they sucked. My nearly stock 2011 GT had problems hooking up with them.

Users who are viewing this thread